Official Computer Talk Thread

yup, it starts off using leftover hardware and then next thing you know youve built a dedicated machine and are trying to convince friends to build them so you can mirror your library to their machine for redundancy
My server is about dead. It is a nearly 15 year old Dell tower that has had extra RAM and a video card added to it (came with onboard video). Not to mention gone through a few power supplies and upgraded HDDs.

It is being finicky with outputting video and recently just started crashing randomly. Also, it is still running Windows 8.

Does it encode okay with it being that age?
Yes, but it gets quite warm and the fans kick into high speed. I don't have the sides on the case either.

I honestly don't remember the specs anymore, but do recall it being a quad core and I bought the aftermarket video card about five years later.

It is more than sufficient to run Plex with a few streams and some encoding.

@squiggy do you have hardware encoding capable hardware and have the options enabled? mine runs everything video through the gpu and barely touches the cpu. Audio remux goes through the cpu but its barely anything.

That sfx psu significantly dropped cpu temps. Idles between 45 and 50c now. Ran cinbech test and it got to 76c. Didn't run it very long though but before it would go to 80c pretty fast.

I downloaded some new games to try out ( may or may not be pirated)
I was trying out doom eternal and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out why my gpu is barely being used. At first fps wouldn't go past 30. I turned off g sync and it seemed to have fixed it maybe. Goes above 100 now but intermittently the game will lag. When I'm playing the gpu shows like 70% on the osd but on task manager is shows almost nothing.

Then I ran crash bandicoot and it seems to work fine.

And the motherboard is out of stock...
In case you missed it-

which cpu are you going with?

i5-11500 with an ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS motherboard and 16GB of RAM.

The H540 was out of stock on Newegg and the Z590 was prime eligible on Amazon. So, I decided to spend a little extra just to get a motherboard faster.

The only real purpose of this computer is to run Plex (plus some photo storage) and, quite honestly, is probably overkill.

i5-11500 with an ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS motherboard and 16GB of RAM.

The H540 was out of stock on Newegg and the Z590 was prime eligible on Amazon. So, I decided to spend a little extra just to get a motherboard faster.

The only real purpose of this computer is to run Plex (plus some photo storage) and, quite honestly, is probably overkill.
yeah, from what ive read you dont really need more than 2gb of ram.

Nope. Onboard graphics are sufficient to run Plex.

sufficient but adding a Quadro p2000 to mine made it able to handle just about anything and everything on nearly 10 year old hardware. I moved everything to a new build and kept the p2000 so i should be set for hopefully 10 years other than hard drives

sufficient but adding a Quadro p2000 to mine made it able to handle just about anything and everything on nearly 10 year old hardware. I moved everything to a new build and kept the p2000 so i should be set for hopefully 10 years other than hard drives

I will probably add a video card when stock is available and prices are reasonable again...in a few years.

These sfx power supplies are adorable. I still need to do some cable management but there's a ton more air flow now.
20210419_174236.jpgCollage 2021-04-19 18_45_55.jpg

i wish the modular cables would be universal across all the psu's

Some cable management!?
Lol. I dont want to do anything until I decide if I want to get an nvme and replace the hdd with ssds.
i wish the modular cables would be universal across all the psu's
I know the feeling. I lost some cables for my corsair that I needed a while ago and had to buy another psu because it was like $30 shipped for one cable.

Back