Official Computer Talk Thread

550w sounds a bit low to me, honestly. Nvidia recommends minimum of 600w.

The ftw3 says 600w on the box. Installed it and it runs awesome. So somehow my coworker got sent a refurbished sc2 black that has the same issue as the one he sent in for repair last year. So he's sending it again and hoping they send him a 2080 instead.

what the hell happened to component prices, i want to upgrade my media server cause its starting to struggle, not counting drives or gpu i built the machine 5 years ago for 500, now i cant get a configuration i want for less than 800 and i will have to reconfigure my drives to fit fewer expansion options

what the hell happened to component prices, i want to upgrade my media server cause its starting to struggle, not counting drives or gpu i built the machine 5 years ago for 500, now i cant get a configuration i want for less than 800 and i will have to reconfigure my drives to fit fewer expansion options
COVID-19

I went went with a 3900X, was about the most powerful thing i could justify the expense on

all this computer is slated to be doing is managing Plex and 120tb across 13 drives

That'll be overkill. Do you need minimum graphics abilities on your server or is everything handled remotely?

overkill was a bit the goal. It has a quadro p2000 that can handle 8-12 4k transcode streams on the fly, but audio transcodes still run through the cpu. I was getting stutters and audio dropouts streaming direct play 4k video and 7.1 to 5.1 transcode in the house when someone off site started a remote stream or the server did anything else, even file moving, hopefully this fixes it a while

What are your CPU and GPU temps? Do you monitor them?

I know not everyone is anal about that like me lol
Playing forza cpu is 75c gpu is 69c. This is with the sc2 black now. Coworker sent his in and they gave him a new one so I traded again and it works without crashing now. So the itx build will start soon. I'm waiting for prices to go down a little more, although they might go up again soon.

Probably going b450i instead of b550i to save some money.

Placed my order today.
I have to look into it again but I'm hoping to be able to install one 3.5 hdd. I have a boot ssd. Plus the 1080ti, 3600, and my 550w corsair Psu.
download.jpeg13-144-190-V01.jpg61TiUsCWV5L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Back