• A large amount of updates and changes have been implemented. Users who have been using tapaptalk will need to access the site in their phone browser. You should see a big difference between the desktop/tablet/phone styles to make navigation and site options easier to use. If you come across any strange behavior, or errors, please report them in this thread. If you have any issues logging into the site, please delete all 9thcivic cookies and then log into the site. https://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/site-changes.16518/

Official Computer Talk Thread

Janz3n

Ontario Canada
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic SI
Body Style
sedan
im such a cheap bastard that i cant decide if i should order a 3600 cpu right now. its on sale and free shipping just under $300 cnd. co worker was able to finally put an order in for a 3080 ( backordered) so i might be buying his 1080 ti soon as well. what sucks is i rarely use the damn computer.

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Why bother on a 3600 unless it’s the only thing you can get. Get a 3100. Get an older processor, an Intel i5-10600 can be in your hands for cheaper. Grab an H-series motherboard. That will do more than you can ask for, better than the 3600.

Janz3n

Ontario Canada
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic SI
Body Style
sedan
Why bother on a 3600 unless it’s the only thing you can get. Get a 3100. Get an older processor, an Intel i5-10600 can be in your hands for cheaper. Grab an H-series motherboard. That will do more than you can ask for,

Why bother on a 3600 unless it’s the only thing you can get. Get a 3100. Get an older processor, an Intel i5-10600 can be in your hands for cheaper. Grab an H-series motherboard. That will do more than you can ask for, better than the 3600.
Because amd 4 life.
3100 isn't much less than a 3600 at the moment.

FooBird

VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Um...ok... but you want an Nvidia graphics card? Not at 5700XT?

FooBird

VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Well, certain cpus are better. If you’re looking at only core count, AMD is better. If you’re talking about single core/thread performance, the AMD 5000 series processors best Intel. Before 5000 series, Intel all the way. Performance per dollar at the lower core count (<8) Intel wins.

FooBird

VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I’d rather spend $230 for a new processor than $330, so if I was in a pinch, I’d pick the Intel processor over the AMD. Double checking board compatibility, it sounds like Intel 400 series motherboards will also allow for 11th gen Intel chips. So, you can upgrade there in a year or two to pick up those gains and probably beat or go blow-by-blow with the AMD 5600 and 5800.

Flightmaster127

Supporting Member
VIP Member
Delaware
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Honestly I've only ever used AMD processors in my desktop builds. Initially because of the price point difference, but more recently the overall performance vs value has increased significantly. Nothing against Intel processors there just expensive, but my preferred processor for laptops.

Obviously not talking about Intel Celeron processors though, I would rather die.

FooBird

VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I’ve gone back and forth. Back in 2007, I had AMD/ATi graphics card. Builds in 2012 and 2017 were Intel/Nvidia. Dec. 2020 was AMD/Nvidia.

Janz3n

Ontario Canada
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic SI
Body Style
sedan
3600 went on sale for the lowest I've seen it in the last year so I ordered one. Feels like a waste of money considering the 5600x is only $200 more but who knows when I can get one.
Screenshot_20210226-122106_Chrome.jpg

FooBird

VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I’d say that’s a win. A 20% performance decrement for half the price. I’d call that a win. Maybe wait until Zen3+ comes out and skip 5600x.

Janz3n

Ontario Canada
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic SI
Body Style
sedan
Installed the 3600. Set memory to xmp. Maxed out my awful gpu with afterburner. Been playing a game for about 20 minutes without crashing. When setting it all that way with the 2200g it would crash pretty quick.