Official Computer Talk Thread

Why bother on a 3600 unless it’s the only thing you can get. Get a 3100. Get an older processor, an Intel i5-10600 can be in your hands for cheaper. Grab an H-series motherboard. That will do more than you can ask for, better than the 3600.

Why bother on a 3600 unless it’s the only thing you can get. Get a 3100. Get an older processor, an Intel i5-10600 can be in your hands for cheaper. Grab an H-series motherboard. That will do more than you can ask for,

Why bother on a 3600 unless it’s the only thing you can get. Get a 3100. Get an older processor, an Intel i5-10600 can be in your hands for cheaper. Grab an H-series motherboard. That will do more than you can ask for, better than the 3600.
Because amd 4 life.
3100 isn't much less than a 3600 at the moment.

Um...ok... but you want an Nvidia graphics card? Not at 5700XT?

Well, certain cpus are better. If you’re looking at only core count, AMD is better. If you’re talking about single core/thread performance, the AMD 5000 series processors best Intel. Before 5000 series, Intel all the way. Performance per dollar at the lower core count (<8) Intel wins.

I’d rather spend $230 for a new processor than $330, so if I was in a pinch, I’d pick the Intel processor over the AMD. Double checking board compatibility, it sounds like Intel 400 series motherboards will also allow for 11th gen Intel chips. So, you can upgrade there in a year or two to pick up those gains and probably beat or go blow-by-blow with the AMD 5600 and 5800.

Honestly I've only ever used AMD processors in my desktop builds. Initially because of the price point difference, but more recently the overall performance vs value has increased significantly. Nothing against Intel processors there just expensive, but my preferred processor for laptops.

Obviously not talking about Intel Celeron processors though, I would rather die.

I’ve gone back and forth. Back in 2007, I had AMD/ATi graphics card. Builds in 2012 and 2017 were Intel/Nvidia. Dec. 2020 was AMD/Nvidia.

Nvidia still seems to have the upper hand on the GPU market at the moment. I have used both, but if I were to purchase a new card today id be looking at the RTX 30 series.

3600 went on sale for the lowest I've seen it in the last year so I ordered one. Feels like a waste of money considering the 5600x is only $200 more but who knows when I can get one.
Screenshot_20210226-122106_Chrome.jpg

I’d say that’s a win. A 20% performance decrement for half the price. I’d call that a win. Maybe wait until Zen3+ comes out and skip 5600x.

Installed the 3600. Set memory to xmp. Maxed out my awful gpu with afterburner. Been playing a game for about 20 minutes without crashing. When setting it all that way with the 2200g it would crash pretty quick.

Back