Official Computer Talk Thread

Well. Put my windows USB in. Booted to it. It started to load then rebooted in to windows just fine. Really confused.

has it booted from the hard drive (usb stick pulled out) fine as well?

Spoke too soon. Froze. Rebooted. Then tried to boot into safe mode and repair it but it just rebooted and shut off.
Plugged the USB back in. Started and went to the repair page again. Now it's frozen.

What are the possible problems that could cause this issue?

It's hard to tell since you mentioned the storm. It could be software or hardware related truthfully. If there is a bad driver, or an issue with a windows update you could get infinite loop booting garbage. As Jason mentioned, I'd let IT deal with it so you're not responsible for any windows repairing issues that may come up.

I'm not sure what I'll do. Because it's my personal laptop my work may not pay for IT to fix it. My son is currently using my other laptop for online school ( yay canada ). One week to go. I may try swapping ssd or other things and see if it's hardware. For now I'll use the work laptop.

I'm not sure what I'll do. Because it's my personal laptop my work may not pay for IT to fix it. My son is currently using my other laptop for online school ( yay canada ). One week to go. I may try swapping ssd or other things and see if it's hardware. For now I'll use the work laptop.

oh I thought it was your work computer. You could download Slax linux to your usb drive.
https://www.slax.org/ slax is super small in file size, it's free and fits on a usb stick. You will need to boot the computer to the usb drive, and then you could access the HD and save anything important initially. I'd pull images/documents etc that you don't have backups for elsewhere. Then I'd honestly do a windows automated repair to see if it'd work before going for a fresh install. Slax isn't clearly going to look identical to windows, but it's at least a graphical interface that mimics a windows environment quite a bit.

I too thought this was your work laptop.
It's hard to say the cause, but the cheaper route would be to wipe the drive and start with a fresh OS install. If that doesn't work and the machine still freezes up on you afterward, then it's possible you have some sort of hardware issue.

If you haven't already, on a separate computer you can download the Windows Media Creation Tool to create yourself a current bootable USB drive with the latest version of Windows 10. From there, boot to that USB drive and click on "Install Now".
At the product key screen, select "I don't have a product key". You won't need the key since Microsoft will auto-activate a fresh install based on your previous license (licenses are tied to the motherboard, that's how they know).
Select the edition of Windows you previous had installed (Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro).
Choose a custom install.
When it lists the partitions on the existing local drive, select each partition and then the "Delete" button to remove all the partitions, but be aware that this will blow away all the data on it so you may want to back up what you already have by slaving the drive onto another machine. If you have multiple disk drives in that laptop, they will be listed on this screen as "Drive 0", "Drive 1", etc, so you really only want to delete the partitions off of one drive, the one that the OS is installed on.
Once you've deleted all the partitions on the OS drive so that there is only a single listed drive with unallocated space, click the Next button to start the fresh install of Windows.

Once Windows is fully installed, go to the Lenovo X240 support page to install the latest drivers for that model.

It's hard to say if the drive is faulty or not, but performing a fresh install will surely tell you if the drive is even functional at this point. Plus this is the cheaper route than just going buy a new drive without knowing if it's faulty to begin with.

Last edited:
I too thought this was your work laptop.
It's hard to say the cause, but the cheaper route would be to wipe the drive and start with a fresh OS install. If that doesn't work and the machine still freezes up on you afterward, then it's possible you have some sort of hardware issue.

If you haven't already, on a separate computer you can download the Windows Media Creation Tool to create yourself a current bootable USB drive with the latest version of Windows 10. From there, boot to that USB drive and click on "Install Now".
At the product key screen, select "I don't have a product key". You won't need the key since Microsoft will auto-activate a fresh install based on your previous license (licenses are tied to the motherboard, that's how they know).
Select the edition of Windows you previous had installed (Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro).
Choose a custom install.
When it lists the partitions on the existing local drive, select each partition and then the "Delete" button to remove all the partitions, but be aware that this will blow away all the data on it so you may want to back up what you already have by slaving the drive onto another machine. If you have multiple disk drives in that laptop, they will be listed on this screen as "Drive 0", "Drive 1", etc, so you really only want to delete the partitions off of one drive, the one that the OS is installed on.
Once you've deleted all the partitions on the OS drive so that there is only a single listed drive with unallocated space, click the Next button to start the fresh install of Windows.

Once Windows is fully installed, go to the Lenovo X240 support page to install the latest drivers for that model.

It's hard to say if the drive is faulty or not, but performing a fresh install will surely tell you if the drive is even functional at this point. Plus this is the cheaper route than just going buy a new drive without knowing if it's faulty to begin with.
ill give that at try, also its my t520 , the x240 is the work laptop that was given after mine took a dump.

im not sure it will work since any time i try to boot to my windows usb it seems to freeze.

I liked 10 from the very beginning, so I think I'll like 11. I wanna get my hands on the iso and try it out, but I'm not confident enough to click any of the links I've found so far.

It's the ESU key that we get issued. So if a machine needs extended support we have to install a pack of specific KB's and then update the license key with the ESU key. It's wild how much companies are willing to pay just to put off upgrading to Win10.

It's wild how much companies are willing to pay just to put off upgrading to Win10.

It's because so many companies have legacy software that is going to cost $$ to upgrade so it will work in Win10.

From my job perspective I'm just tired of the older hardware that is out there.

Back