Official Computer Talk Thread

Makes you sound old. :hiding:
T18gqh1.gif

1994 was 21yrs ago

I know we used to have a lot of Packard bell stuff. I also remember being dragged to the conventions where all the vendors would try to sell the latest greatest before the internet was really popular and online ordering wasn't an option.

I always had to find the little hole in the wall shops to find parts. I built my second computer from scratch in 1997. It was a Pentium Pro 150. Every week, when I got a paycheck, I would go buy a piece. Took a while to get all of it and have a working computer.

I repaired so many Packard bell computers back in the day.... :spazface: Makes me do this just looking at that. Memories

Me too, but that was because I was the resident "computer guy" that everyone asked to fix or upgrade things.

I always had to find the little hole in the wall shops to find parts. I built my second computer from scratch in 1997. It was a Pentium Pro 150. Every week, when I got a paycheck, I would go buy a piece. Took a while to get all of it and have a working computer.

I didn't actually get to build my first desktop till about 2007, right after I graduated and had money to blow. If I remember right it had an AMD dual core processor, 160GB hard drive, and probably a 128mb or 256mb Radeon card but I cant remember the model number. Worked well for what I spent and let me play the games I wanted to.

* Intel i7 4790k
* Asus Z97-A 3.1 Motherboard
* Corsair Dominator Pro Series DDR3 1866 - 16GB (2x8GB)
* Corsair h100i GTX CPU Cooler
* Asus CD/DVD Writer
* EVGA 850 watt Power Supply
* SanDisk 960GB SSD (purchased from Newegg few days ago)
* Fractal Design R5 case
* EVGA GTX 970 FTW (re-using from old setup)
* Windows 7
* Noctua 120mm case fan

eh, I could price it all online... just curious. Last one I built ran me like a grand if I remember correctly (without software). I haven't priced stuff out in a while.

I paid a little over $2k for my build last year. :ohsnap:

never been on that site... kinda interesting. That price would also be without your hard drive and video card... as well as software. Gives me an idea at least.

never been on that site... kinda interesting. That price would also be without your hard drive and video card... as well as software. Gives me an idea at least.

You've never heard of that site or been on that site? PCPartPicker FTW!!! (Reddit told me about it many many years ago)

nah, I usually just pile the parts into various shopping carts and buy.

Back