Official Computer Talk Thread

I can't remember where the other article was that talked about this recently. It said even after wiping the system it could reinstall itself. They found a bunch of files in the registry and stuff that kept coming back.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/new...for-installing-spyware-on-its-machines-743952

Lenovo is now using rootkit-like techniques to install their software on CLEAN Windows installs, by having the BIOS overwrite windows system files on bootup. Someone detailed this here: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=29497693&sid=dd...

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago, on a new Lenovo laptop, doing a clean install with a new SSD, Win 8 DVD + wifi turned off. I couldn't understand how a Lenovo service was installed and running! Delete the file and it reappears on reboot. I've never seen anything like this before.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10039306

z9z3pQq.jpg

Upgraded both desktops from 10GB to 16GB of ram about 3 weeks ago. Still have to get into the new age and get a solid state drive.

I have had 16 gigs in my desktop for 3+ years now. If I was starting a new build and had limited funds I'd stick with 8 gigs and get an SSD. [emoji106]

Should have spent the money upgrading to an SSD instead. ;)
I will still get a sad eventually. I'm waiting for the right sale since I need about a 480gb drive to cover the contents of my c drive. I could go smaller but I don't feel like relocation all of the non windows related files and then solving their location issues with the programs that use them.

I will still get a sad eventually. I'm waiting for the right sale since I need about a 480gb drive to cover the contents of my c drive. I could go smaller but I don't feel like relocation all of the non windows related files and then solving their location issues with the programs that use them.
You could load a fresh windows install on the ssd, and then toss the old drive in as a slave. Copy only the essential files over you really need/want on the ssd, and use the other drive as a backup after doing a little house cleaning.

You could load a fresh windows install on the ssd, and then toss the old drive in as a slave. Copy only the essential files over you really need/want on the ssd, and use the other drive as a backup after doing a little house cleaning.
That's what I'm trying to avoid as my poor drive mangagent has created a nightmare of file cleanup I have to get to.

Question for you computer peepz and anyone in general.....

What would cause internet speeds to fluctuate through the day? other than the amount of users.....

Our office seems to be having lag issues with our web service. It is noticeable on the "system" we use that is "web based". I say "web based" because we all have to log on to this software that is not stored on out server. Not sure what the correct term for this software would be. We also access our servers to get to some files(excel, word, pdfs) but there is no lag when accessing the server. There is also no real lag in the non-work related web surfing, well....not as bad as when using the system.

I have been doing the speednet.com test when ever I experience this lag in the system. Lately, I have been seeing numbers of 10-15 Down and 10-20 Up. Our office pays for a service that is supposed to give us 20 Down and 30 Up. My latest speednet test(15 mins ago) yielded 8 Down and 2.2 Up :giggle: and about 3/4 of the staff is in the office right now.

I know this is pretty rough in the explanation but just thought I might see what you all think.....

So it's kind of like accessing the cloud (remote software/files). If the place that hosts the files is slow, that will cause speed issues. If that server is old or being accessed by tons of people, that will slow things down. No real difference between that and being on a forum. I could pay for a piece of junk server, or the top of the line to run 9th. More servers just equal more $.

How about another 970? They are probably on sale for Black Friday.:popcorn:

Back