Official Computer Talk Thread

This would be the perfect one if you could find it :excited:. The Noctua fan I was wanting is actually a little too tall, so I'm opting for their low profile one.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4159507737476130/
i hate canada.

RTX 3060 - Friend(that lives in Ohio) one the Newegg Shuffle and he didn't want it. I had a friend here that wanted one.

AMD RX 6700XT - AMD had a drop and I was able to purchase it via there website. I had a different buddy who wanted a card to replace his GTX 1660 Super in his prebuild

AMD RX 6800 - AMD had a drop and I was able to purchase it via there website. I used this in the new build I did about a month or so ago.

Asus RTX 3080 Tuf - I won this in the Newegg Shuffle. It came in a combo with a 27" Asus 1440 165hz Curved Monitor (trying to sell this). I sold this card to a friend of a friend (from a Discord I'm on).

Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC White Edition - I purchased this from Zotac drop they had. When they have a drop you get in the queue and have a chance to purchase whatever 3000 series card they have left. The buddy that got the AMD RX 6700XT wanted the Zotac RTX 3070 because he is doing a white build. He's now selling the AMD RX 6700XT.

Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC White Edition - I purchased this from Zotac drop they had. I didn't think my order would go through (they said 1 card per 14 days) but it went through. I still have this card listed for sale (what I paid - no upcharging).

EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 - I went to Microcenter yesterday afternoon to get a longer SATA cable and overheard the employee talking to a customer about having the cards in stock. I initially wasn't going to get one but then figured I could sell it to someone at MSRP that couldn't get one but ended up installing it in my PC. Now the AMD RX 6800 is for sale.

So 7 cards purchased.

4 sold at MSRP/what I paid. 2 cards listed for sale still. 1 card installed in my rig.

All video cards (besides the EVGA RTX 3070Ti) are gone. Well I still have my old EVGA GTX 970 that I put in my old rig (that I sold the GTX 1080).

Some FYI's.

RIP to Prebuilts in California, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii and Vermont

First Gas guzzlers, now power guzzlers.

But at least it's only those super crazy builds.

Dell quote from that article:

While our most powerful gaming systems are available in all 50 states, it is accurate that select configurations of the Alienware Aurora R10 and R12 aren’t shipping to certain states due to the recent California Energy Commission (CEC) Tier 2 regulations that went into effect on July 1, 2021. New models and configurations will meet or exceed these regulations, in line with our long-term focus to address energy and emissions.”

Some FYI's.

RIP to Prebuilts in California, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii and Vermont

systems made after July 1, 2021 are restricted to a max power draw of 75 kWh/yr with some wiggle room based on the specific config—it seems a number of high-end systems from other manufacturers may soon have to contend with energy regulations, too.

I'm wondering how they're calculating their "yearly" power draw limit for these machines?
75,000 watts a year = 205 watts a day. Even a handful of LED lights in your house could pull 205 watts in a day without issue. A single standard 100 watt lightbulb could do it in 2hrs time. Turn your electric oven on for an hour to bake your dinner and you've used 3000-5000 watts roughly.

systems made after July 1, 2021 are restricted to a max power draw of 75 kWh/yr with some wiggle room based on the specific config—it seems a number of high-end systems from other manufacturers may soon have to contend with energy regulations, too.

I'm wondering how they're calculating their "yearly" power draw limit for these machines?
75,000 watts a year = 205 watts a day. Even a handful of LED lights in your house could pull 205 watts in a day without issue. A single standard 100 watt lightbulb could do it in 2hrs time. Turn your electric oven on for an hour to bake your dinner and you've used 3000-5000 watts roughly.

Steve doesn't like how it's being reported.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOHKLyjVSuE

That explained it quite well. Idle power draw seems to be the main point in all of it. You can have a massive high power capable psu without issue. It’s just what kind of power draw it pulls at various idle states.

Everyone who had their Alienware orders cancelled just had a massive favor handed to them. Those builds are highly proprietary and leave little room for upgrading in the future. But if they're buying Alienware to begin with, I guess future upgrading was never in their periphery to begin with...

That explained it quite well. Idle power draw seems to be the main point in all of it. You can have a massive high power capable psu without issue. It’s just what kind of power draw it pulls at various idle states.
so you could build a machine with a compliant low idle draw setup that pulls more power than the current machines at load and its still compliant? or are they ultimately trying to push towards more efficient under load too?

so you could build a machine with a compliant low idle draw setup that pulls more power than the current machines at load and its still compliant? or are they ultimately trying to push towards more efficient under load too?
So diy builds are essentially exempt from all of this (at least currently). It’s just pre built systems from major manufacturers that are being scrutinized and tested for power. He also mentioned that extra sata ports/thunderbolt, ram slots etc are all given a score. So pre built stuff will clearly be cutting down on “extra” ports that aren’t being used to reduce the power score of the computer.

Seriously? What card now?

Why the seriously? :hiding:

Just looking out for friends.

Edit:

vagrant-queen-syfy.gif

Last edited:
When are you going to come out and just admit you work for Newegg, since you’ve “won” like 32 graphics cards now.

I didn't get it from Newegg. I've only got 1 GPU from Newegg shuffle.

I got this from EVGA directly. I signed up for their queue system for the 3060 XC back in March (3/23/2021 10:46:15 AM PT) and got the email yesterday about ordering it. For MSRP + tax + shipping.

Back