Painting Break Caliper Help?

sqwiggle!

Hey guys,

I wanted to paint my break calipers candy teal over the winter break while I'm off school. Can you guys give me tips on how to go about doing this.

I was thinking caliper cleaning spray, then spray about 3 layers of paint with engine paint because I heard that works too and Caliper paint only comes with limited choices. And then 2 layers of clear coat.

Heres my problem: Not really sure where to get candy teal engine paint or caliper paint, and I'm a college student so I can't really afford the fancy airbrushes or powdercoating and what not. :(

Any ideas or better methods? Thanks!! :)

ps- sorry if I posted this in the wrong section!

Do you know what the max temp on paint you are getting should be? I've been wanting to do this too but have only seen engine enamel or paint that had a 500 degree temperature max and don't know if this would work or is high enough :/ anyone know??

I also heard duplicator isn't very good for caliper painting. At least that's what the guy at the auto store said. Anyone else heard the same?

-VHT High Temp primer
-VHT High Temp Base coat. I'm not sure if they have it in candy teal though so you can probably get a different brand for that. :(
-VHT High Temp Clear coat.

I think that would cost you about $30, more or less, from Summitracing.com. Their shipping rate is also pretty low.

I went with Powder coating mine, it was $120.00 total out of pocket, granted Honda dealership did all labor free of charge as my left front caliper was rusting and service manager wanted to fix it but district manager said NO. It looked BAD, so he felt bad and wanted to do something so he squeezed my Si in between jobs, I'm pleased with the results, Powder Coating can with stand up to 400 degree temperature so I think I'm good, just keeping an eye on my wheels as it sits in the garage as the pistons and seals were removed too for baking, also the reservoir as well. If you're a college student ask someone to pitch in as a Christmas gift if you want to powder coat or paint I guess?? I'd feel more comfortable having them taken off the car to prevent over spray, but that's just me be anal, I'm sure if you went paint route it can be done to perfection without removal.

Thanks guys!

I think I'll just keep looking around until I find a high temp candy teal or something similar to that color!

Any ideas on how many cans of primer/base/clear coat I need each?

squiggy ^ how much paint did you use on your calipers? I see you said you did 3 coats....

Back