Post Your Product Collection

I was doing it as a hobby. Its super fun I think. Hooked instantly. I did pretty much every ones car but my own. I just never got around to it! I didn't charge since I just wanted the practice mostly. I took a minimal fee to cover materials and buy new things to try. Hahahaha. I ended up with quite the hoard. I did learn a lot about what works, what didn't, and what I liked to use. I also tried to copy any product suggestion I saw Rasky make.

I sold/gave away almost everything when I moved. I got almost full price for my flex, with some extras. I was sad but relieved. It is gonna make a good excuse as to why I "need" to buy a new Rupes machine once we get a place with a garage. Hahahah. Kept the PC7424. It's too loud to use here though.

I've kept a pared down assortment of things I can use in the parking lot where I live without hassle. There is a pay and spray up the street. Ill head up there when it's slow sometimes and use stuff like the Sonax and Iron X that need to be rinsed off pretty well. Mostly ONR washes just for maintenance now. Collinite and V7 keep it looking decent. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy with what looks like I'm washing my car and then going to the car wash, then coming back and washing it again. I'm so over boutique waxes too. How bad is that?

@ClearCutSi - Is detailing your main gig?

I really thought hard about starting a mobile business just to generate extra income and possibly get a full on shop going. I do have a semi-unique business idea for it. More of a detailing enthusiasts location. A place where you can go and either pay to have your car detailed or pay to be shown how to do it and be able to rent a bay, tools, and buy products on site. There aren't a lot of brick and mortar locations where you can buy quality stuff. Autozone/pepboys consumer lines are usually meh at best. Also, the markup is pretty good. I think the money is in selling someone products rather than trying to sell them a service they may not see value in. Obviously serving different markets in that sense. Also I think it might attract the hobby detailers and the guys who want to make a business of it but might not have the upfront money to setup a shop or mobile unit themselves. Rent them space and make money on the space and the products they buy without having to do any of the manual labor myself. If I had a place to go with my gear and detail, I would rent a few hours a week from them.

I had done my research for the mobile business but eh, the wifes career is more important so we moved and I converted to ONR and a sponge. I wanted a super simple setup like this truck: I would add a generator for running the buffers.

100_0835.jpg

Sounds like you just need a little bit of time and someone to listen to your idea and a business loan. I say go for it and make it happen. There is a muffler shop like that here in Orlando which is cool. My mechanic also does that but only for people he trusts. I know liability insurance would probably be a little high since others would be working in your shop but I think the concept would really take off. There are plenty of people that live in apartment and complexes that I am sure would need a detailing spot rather than the "scratch it yourself " wash.

I am currently working with Remax and have been for the past 8 yrs. but with help and support from others and finally decking to make the leap I will be detailing full time come September. I have a good solid amount of regular clients and with FB page I have been getting a good amount of new clients. I plan to advertise a lot more once I go on my own. I just don't want to do that right now since I am not doing it full time and am backed up about a month in advance.

The rig you posted is something I am looking to do. I would eventually like to capture the mobile market but more towards my own clients and pick up some others. I realistically would love to have a buffer in my hand all day and someone else handle the mobile portion. But that will take time and eventually I will get there. Finding someone will be tough but I am confident I can find someone in this long run.

Back