Premium Gas or Mid Grade??

The weirdest thing ever is that the best mileage I ever got was with a tank of BP 87 driving from NYC back to upstate NY. Lots of hills and a ton of stop and go in the city before we made it across the bridge.

Maybe in non-si models additive heavy 87 works better? I had it happen at a BP in florida too with a rental car.

You don't need anything more than 87 in a non si model...

so it makes sense you'd get the best mileage with it.

This whole thread is for si models not ex/lx/dx models.

Obv. I run 87 all the time. Im just saying as a non-top tier station I got the best performance out of BP gas in two different cars in different climates.

Anyone else have a noticeable difference when filling at a particular station?

I keep track of my mileage/fillups cause I drive so much and I want to make sure im getting the highest I can. My regular stations are either a BJ's, Hess, or Mobil simply for convenience.

BJ's Cheap-O gas I get 34 - 34.5 consistently.
Hess 35+
Mobil 37+
If I do a highway run with the mobil it's almost always 38-41 round trip.

My BP fillup was over 40.

I know name brands make my car/mc's run better, I have been using name brands for the additives..... I question that one grade of octain (87 - 91 - 93) have a different mix, but I don't know the answer either, not that I'd run a higher OT if it did.

Yeah I tried running mobil 89 instead of 87 for a few tanks to make sure I got consistent results and I did not see any great improvement. Stickin to the cheap stuff.

Yeah I tried running mobil 89 instead of 87 for a few tanks to make sure I got consistent results and I did not see any great improvement. Stickin to the cheap stuff.
The only reason I can see putting higher than called for is if the station doesn't look like it get's much traffic and the ground tank may not get refilled as often ..... Or if my car sat for a long time between fill-ups......... since octain can lose some of it's punch with time.

You don't need anything more than 87 in a non si model...

so it makes sense you'd get the best mileage with it.

This whole thread is for si models not ex/lx/dx models.

I run 89 in my LX and have seen anywhere from 10-15 mpg better than 87. But the biggest difference comes with no corn gas, my car hates that stuff, I can't get more than 340 miles on a tank

I run 89 in my LX and have seen anywhere from 10-15 mpg better than 87. But the biggest difference comes with no corn gas, my car hates that stuff, I can't get more than 340 miles on a tank
You're right......... The news is talking about a crop shortage, yet they still want to waste the stuff and put corn in our fuel, use it where we need it on our plates, or to feed animals.

You're right......... The news is talking about a crop shortage, yet they still want to waste the stuff and put corn in our fuel, use it where we need it on our plates, or to feed animals.

I loved being down at The Dragon cause most of the stations down there had no corn in the mid and premium fuel. Filled up when I left and made it 420 miles on a single tank...

hotshot ........ That's good to know I haven't been putting a "LOW" tier fuel in my vehicles.

Do you know why they(BP) aren't participating in the top tier program?
Because the top tier program is counter to the goal of BP to work with other refineries to produce a better quality fuel as a whole

I don't see how you're getting that much better mileage just off 2 octane points unless you've had your timing adjusted or different fuel maps to compensate.

There's a physical reason for this. It's not that your car hates it ROFL. It's that ethanol contains less btu's of energy than gasoline does. Therefore 10% ethanol gas will get anywhere from 3-5% less gas mileage than 100% gasoline.

There's a physical reason for this. It's not that your car hates it ROFL. It's that ethanol contains less btu's of energy than gasoline does. Therefore 10% ethanol gas will get anywhere from 3-5% less gas mileage than 100% gasoline.

I know this....lol. I just treat my car like its a living breathing entity, so therefore crappy gas mileage is like a person eating bad food and the result of it, I know I am strange person...lol

I don't see how you're getting that much better mileage just off 2 octane points unless you've had your timing adjusted or different fuel maps to compensate.

87 octane mileage is roughly 250-280 on a full tank
89 octane mileage is roughly 300-350 a tank

So it's actually 5-10mpg... My bad, being half asleep and math don't work for me apparently...lol

Timing and fuel map are the stock..

Wait, what kind of car do you have again?

NVM, i see you have a 2007 civic. That car should be getting 350-400 on a tank of gas. The fact that you're not getting anywhere near that is weird.

What kind of maintenance schedule do you have and what is your mileage?

I mean, i have an 08 si and i get 300 miles to a tank of gas. My 07 lx got right over 400 on average.

Wait, what kind of car do you have again?

NVM, i see you have a 2007 civic. That car should be getting 350-400 on a tank of gas. The fact that you're not getting anywhere near that is weird.

What kind of maintenance schedule do you have and what is your mileage?

I mean, i have an 08 si and i get 300 miles to a tank of gas. My 07 lx got right over 400 on average.

I am at 133,000 miles roughly. Maintence is on schedule, it's not Honda fluids but Mobil oil, redline trans fluid. I have a somewhat heavy foot thou, and back roads do hurt somewhat...

So you've replaced your spark plugs in that car? for some reason i've seen those cars tear up the oem plugs.

Yup, just did a lot of maintence this summer... Like I said I am heavy footed, tooling on the highway long distance I can get 400+

So I am an idiot and put about $30 worth of 89 in my new Si that has about 280 miles on it. Im pretty mad at myself since i have treated it like a newborn since I got it haha. My question is should I put 93 in when i get to work everyday to even it out or just go through the 89?

So I am an idiot and put about $30 worth of 89 in my new Si that has about 280 miles on it. Im pretty mad at myself since i have treated it like a newborn since I got it haha. My question is should I put 93 in when i get to work everyday to even it out or just go through the 89?

I would put 93 back in it ASAP but I wouldn't be hard (drive it easy) on it until you get the 89 out of there.

No high RPM's/vtec

Back