Question about Flashpro/Vit

Tim Abadie

Jupiter, FL
Vehicle Model
FB6
So I'm 100% new to tuning, and I'm just trying to wrap my mind around all of this. From what I read I feel like I have a clue, but I'm probably way off. So here are some questions I couldnt really find the answers to, or the answers werent very clear:

1. Is it really just as simple as ordering a Flashpro with a preloaded tune, then plugging into your ecu, and uploading it? As in, there isnt any need for professional help?

2. Should mods be done before tune? (i.e. downpipe/intake, etc) Or would you need to order a different tune after modding the vehicle?

3. Does tuning the vehicle void manufacturer warranty?

Im sorry if these questions were answered elsewhere, Ive looked around and havnt found very clear answers on these. Thank you!

1- flashpro comes with some preloaded tunes/reflash, but it's not the same as having a custom tune. It is plug/play though. You can run the reflash tune that comes on the unit for as long as you want. If you get a downpipe or a large diameter intake... you really need to be tuned. The car will not handle the mods well & you can actually lose power without a custom tune. Certain diameter intakes even require a tune or the car won't run.

2 -mods should be done prior to the tune. If you order from vit, you'd just get the normal flashpro/reflash tune. When you want a custom tune, he will have you datalog, & you'll email back and forth with him. He'll make endless adjustments & make a custom tune for you. If you continue to mod the car, you'll need to get an updated tune to take advantage of your new mods. The best bet would be to have the tune done with all the mods. It's just going to cost money to have it retuned with additional mods, but there is no reason you can't do it that way.

3- yes. If you'd tinker with the tune and do something crazy & blow the motor... honda can see you've altered the ecu. On that note, no one that I'm aware of has done this on an 8th gen or a 9th gen. The reflash tune itself runs quite rich, so it's not a dangerous map. You always have the option of reverting the car back to the factory ecu tune, and no one would know.

Thank you for the clarity. I'm going to pick up a new si tomorrow and im just looking into the best way to mod the car. I appreciate the help, with this added information I think my plans for now are really just downpipe, SRI and tune. From what I understand its the best bang for the buck and gives some noticeable WHP gains

Plan to do the flashpro when you do the downpipe. The car will definitely benefit from a tune when you do the downpipe.

Does reflash yield any performance benefits on a stock car?
yes - this is the stock car & the stock car w/reflash

civic_si_2012_stock_vs_reflash.gif

and vits results comparing the hondata reflash versus custom below-
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/reflash-vs-custom-vittune.10762/

Thanks web. I'm kind of confused looking at the graphs though. The two lines on each graph... are those just 2 different trials to show consistency? Also, I think its just because I'm not fully understanding the graphs, but Hondata reduces torque at lower RPMs? Thanks a lot!

The two lines are before/after. Blue is before...red is after reflash. The readings below 2k or so are pretty much bs on most dyno graphs. It gained 12torque and 15hp on their dyno. Left side is torque and the right side is horsepower.

Word from the wise get a CAI as SRI'S do nothing for this car, the stock intake works well. If you get a downpipe get catted, I went catless and wish I could swap as the weird whistle noise drives me insane. Also look into a rear motor mount, fairly cheap for the benefits (little to no wheel hope, smoother shifting, more power gets to the wheels).

Word from the wise get a CAI as SRI'S do nothing for this car

Incorrect. Vit has dyno proven that PRLs 3.5" SRI does indeed create more power...just not quite as much as their 3.5" CAI.

The advice should be to only get a 3.5" intake as others do not outperform over the stock intake. In some situations, they actually cause a power loss...even with a tune.

Bottom line: get a 3.5" intake and a tune or simply stick with the stock setup.

Thank you for the clarity. I'm going to pick up a new si tomorrow and im just looking into the best way to mod the car. I appreciate the help, with this added information I think my plans for now are really just downpipe, SRI and tune. From what I understand its the best bang for the buck and gives some noticeable WHP gains
unless you are going super charged or turbo get a 2.5 inch downpipe. I have a 3" catless from full race with exhaust intake and custom vit tune and lowkey i feel like i have lost a lot of low end torque. vtec rips pretty decently above stock but i like the torque better for my Si. Plus a few shops I went to said its such a loss of power to go 3" unless you are going FI. just my 2cents

The car still makes more power with a 3" DP/Exhaust than a 2.5".

Even with JUST those mods? I feel if I swapped for 2.5 to 2.5 I would get a lot more of my low end torque back. the 3" is good in high rmps but depends how you drive :)

Well, you would be incorrect. A tuned 9th with a 3" dp/exhaust is going to make more power/torque than one with a 2.5" dp/exhaust no matter how you drive it. Nobody has popped up on here in 3+ years to show dyno results that prove your assumption.

I wasn't "assuming" just going off of how my car felt before and after the install and tune.

Back