DIY R18 P2R TBS with gasket Installation tips!

RobSBP

After installed TBS, I didn't feel that much gain at all. I was hoping to get more responsive from the car. Also, I saw Check Gas Cap warning massage came on the next day.

After I did some research from 8th gen civic site, I found out that throttle body spacer gasket might be too loose. That was the reason why TBS performed so poorly. I tighten all bolts a little more and the car seem to response much better. But about 10-15 minutes later, the Check Gas Cap warning massage still came back.

After another research, I found out that throttle body has very narrow passageway for vapor to flow from inside the car. (It's part of EVAP system). If the passageway seal off, we will get error massage from iMid.

This is the solution from old style P2R TBS.
47157d1332805610_throttle_body_spacer_r18_throwing_p0497_code_1290097213179_1976308824.jpg

They made their own passageway by shave off the TBS.

In the new version, it no longer has gasket ring channel.
11528261613_380fdeee05_o.jpg

To solve the problem, we have to modify the new gasket.
11528144475_41f3010646_o.jpg

I made 1-2mm. thin passageway.

After install TBS and modified gasket back, the Check Gas Cap warning massage is now gone permanently. My 0-60 mph timing improve by 0.5 sec faster. This is what TBS can do at optimum performance.

Update:
After plastic gasket settle down for few days, tighten throttle body bolts again to maintain optimum performance.

Throttle Body Spacer works best with Aftermarket intake. There is no performance gain if installed with OEM airbox intake.

Last edited:
Very interesting.
I'm curious as to how you measured your 0-60?

ProCivic has it, but I'm trying to buy this part from WeSellCarParts so I can use my gift certificate. Will let you know if they have it and what the price is.

What gasket is that?!
Mine came with an OEM honda gasket when I bought it, not the one pictured. Mine looks like old style p2r tbs...

Picture? If it like older style you have to shave off metal surface instead.

Well its on my car....
But the pic you posted where it shows the solution for the old P2R TBS, is what mine looks like; it has that space all the way around it for the OEM gasket to fit in

In this case, you have to find the way to shave off the metal off your TBS then.

Note!
I think the shaded area that on the older p2r tbs picture is wrong. Just follow the shaved off pattern that on the gasket (3rd photo) and you should be fine.

Mine came in the mail today! @RobSBP are there online instructions for the install? I have an idea but not sure exactly how to put it on

Back