Rack and pinion problem? Car wanders left and right.

snahfu

My 2014 civic lx has 85k miles and the steering has been starting to wander the past year. It was time for new tires so I got new tires and had it aligned and balanced but the wander still exists. When I say wander, when the car hits seams or groves in the road, the front tires want to follow even when the steering wheel is held steady. On a smooth road, the car can drive in a straight line no problem but making small micro adjustments seems..... less precise than when I first had the car. I have starting feel extremely unsafe on some bumpy roads when going anywhere form 40 - 70, but if the road is good, I feel mostly fine.

I'm afraid the rack needs to be replaced. A bit bumper since this seems like a huge expensive for me at the moment.

Has anyone had similar issues or had this part replaced before?

Edit: no noise when turning the steering wheel, both of the rack are not leaking any fluids or oils

Last edited:
I’d feel unsafe going over bumpy roads at 70 too lol.
Like webby said check the struts shocks first (way cheaper repair).

Also some tires will wander worse than others based on tire tread design. I had some Michelin’s hydroedge tires before that I felt would really track road groves or bumps bad.

Back