DIY RedShift Koni/Swift (8thgen) Combo

redsfan

This thread is more of a reference than a true DIY, I thought I took more pics than I did. But at least if your a 1st timer you can get an idea of what your getting yourself into. :)

Here's a couple pics of my car before the install..
DSC05602.jpg

DSC05603.jpg

Koni Adj. Sport Dampers w/ Swift Spec R (Progressive) Springs:turboleghump:
DSC05616.jpg

Spring Rates: 257 lbs/in (F) / 294 lbs/in (R)
Ride Height: 1.2" (F) / 1.1" (R)
Other Notes: Koni Front Insert. meaning your required to mod the stock front Showa strut housings.
(I personally purchased everything pre-fab & assembled from RedShift Motorsports, Chris is awesome to deal w.)

Front Installation
DSC05637.jpg

-After removing a few plastic pieces off the cowl loosen these top 3 14mm nuts, don't completely remove just break them loose..

diyfs1.jpg

-So if you haven't noticed the wheel is missing..:hiding: (The car is also on jackstands, you'll need the jack later)
1) Unclip the 2 clips & push the sensor to the side as much as you can
2) Now take a 19mm wrench & 22mm socket attached 1/2" breaker bar (maybe overkill), break those nuts loose on the knuckle pinch bolts
3) Take an allen & 14mm wrench then remove the nut from FSB tab
4) Then there is a 12mm bolt holding the brake line, remove it
5) After you've done all that, take off the 22mm nuts & tap out the 19mm pinch bolts
6) Everything should drop down w/ a small push on the brake hub
7) I had an extra hand to remove the top 3 14mm nuts, while I held strut from dropping

Comparison of the 2
DSC05651.jpg

^^Bottom one is the stockie. Though the Koni/Swift could almost be fooled for stock..:wigglesmiley:

Installed
DSC05653.jpg

-Hopefully after removal you got the gist of how it goes it all goes back on. I found it to be easiest to start by putting the strut in 1st, then hand tight the top 3 nuts.
-Then use a jack to help guide & get the pinch/camber bolts in. Also, to tq everything back down.
-22mm flange nuts (157N.m, 116 lbf-ft.)
-14mm nut on FSB tab (34N.m, 25lbf-ft.)
-Top 3 14mm flange nuts (59N.m, 44lbf-ft.)

Note: it's quite tricky to wedge the adj. in there & back off but it's somewhat manageable..
DSC05655.jpg

Progression pic before rear install :dopey:
DSC05667.jpg

Rear Installation
DSC05680_1.jpg

-Remove these 3 clips & break the PITA clip, then fold the carpet to the side

diyrs1.jpg

-Personally I found the rear removal to be super easy & no need for steps, just remember that clip because if you don't you'll stretch the hell out of the wire trying to get the spring out.. You can tell it's a bit stretched in the pic w/ everything still on..

Stock comparisons
DSC05690.jpg

DSC05689.jpg

Installed
DSC05723.jpg

-14mm camber arm bolt (108N.m, 80lbf-ft.)
-14mm bottom strut bolt (59N.m, 44lbf-ft.) Be sure to load w/ a jack when tightening down this bolt
-The nut removed up top is replaced w/ one supplied in hardware bag along w/ a lock washer. I found no need to use a tq wrench since it's only like 22 lbf-ft for stock self-locking nut anyway.

Couple of notes:
To reuse the dust boot cover you'll have to drill it out, because the koni's piston rod is thicker in diameter than stock
DSC05700.jpg

^^ Already drilled out above, compared to a washer that use to sit up top of the cover
(use the washer that came w/ the new struts)

Also, a pic of what you have to remove from the 8thgen isolator
DSC05687d.jpg

OK time for some pics....:dance:

diyb_a.jpg

DSC05721.jpg

DSC05717.jpg

Hopefully this helps! :beer:

Also it helps to have a great helper..
DSC05657.jpg

It actually reminds me of the ol' Mugen, the way it rides. Of course it sits a bit lower than it did, but that's a good thing :) But overall it's a really nice setup & i'm happy w/ it!

The only thing is the front springs seem to make a clanking noise over small bumps. I'm guessing it's where the closer windings on the spring are making contact . I noticed on the swift sport springs there is like rubber insulator on the spring, mine didn't have em.. :hmmm?:

IMG_5302.jpg

As for the price contact Chris at RedShift, my price might vary cause they were bought during Koni's sale. And honestly I don't remember. :confuzzled:

Wow how did i miss your DIY great write up Reds!
As for the price contact Chris at RedShift, my price might vary cause they were bought during Koni's sale. And honestly I don't remember. :confuzzled:
Koni sale goes through the end of may

do you have to send your struts in first?

Nope you pay for used ones and then send in yours and they will refund...But i think red went with the new sleeve option

I went w/ used housings. Actually I think there brown_bear's old ones.. :wigglesmiley:

I'm getting ready to send in my cores this week sometime. They only got 10k on them, for whoever's next...:D

We only have the 1 set of housings in circulation so far. Might need to order more just to have them for more cores... that's why we charge $200 core for them.... because that is the cost of the new ones; so I can always get new ones if you don't send yours back.

I will be setting up a 2012 Civic suspension page shortly.... I know lots of people have been waiting for a good central location for all this info and stuff.... just taking some time because I have other things going on as well.

Chris

I went w/ used housings. Actually I think there brown_bear's old ones.. :wigglesmiley:

I'm getting ready to send in my cores this week sometime. They only got 10k on them, for whoever's next...:D
Man those are clean struts they looked new to me!

It actually reminds me of the ol' Mugen, the way it rides. Of course it sits a bit lower than it did, but that's a good thing :) But overall it's a really nice setup & i'm happy w/ it!

The only thing is the front springs seem to make a clanking noise over small bumps. I'm guessing it's where the closer windings on the spring are making contact . I noticed on the swift sport springs there is like rubber insulator on the spring, mine didn't have em.. :hmmm?:

any update with the noise or how the ride is now?

I think I got that clunking noise straightened out, I'll find out for sure here n a bit when I go pick up my friend.

I'll let you guys know here shortly.. :)

OK mini review..

So I'm thinking it has to be the springs chattering. Everything is tq'd down & tight (actually put an extra 2-3lbf-ft on everything). The noise seems to be less but I also turn the dampers another turn.

The noise is really minimal but it was enough to make wonder if I did something wrong. If you have the radio on you'd never hear it. It's not something I'll lose sleep over or not be able to live w/. The cars ride quality is great, that extra turn on the damper made me love the ride a lil bit more honestly. It also handles a lil bit better than the Mugen did. Overall I think it's a great set up, now it's time for a Progress RSB & to move on to another area of the car..:)

Back