DIY RedShift Koni/Swift (8thgen) Combo

Cool sucks to have a mystery noise though. Glad the ride is great! +1 on the progress anti roll bar...

I have decided just to do struts for AutoX Instead of the coils or springs for now to keep me in stock class . I will be going with Koni 8611 DA race struts in the front but need to talk to chris to figure out the rears since the compression adjustment location on the race will not work in the rear. (probably converted race singles or sports)

Keep me posted on the noise... should not have any noise. If it is the springs, then I'd like to provide feedback to Swift of that issue. I haven't had a spring noise issue yet on them; so I would like to know if it continues.

Thanks... glad you like the setup. A rear bar will definitely be a big improvement.... and camber bolts are important to front grip if you ever get more aggressive with it... like taking it to an autocross.

Chris

Cool sucks to have a mystery noise though. Glad the ride is great! +1 on the progress anti roll bar...

I have decided just to do struts for AutoX Instead of the coils or springs for now to keep me in stock class . I will be going with Koni 8611 DA race struts in the front but need to talk to chris to figure out the rears since the compression adjustment location on the race will not work in the rear. (probably converted race singles or sports)

Compression adjustment for the rear is on the side of the shock, toward the bottom (facing rearward). So, it works well. And having compression adjustment in the back is actually quite important for the Civic since that is one of the few critical tuning options available for a stock class autocross car. I think a 2012 Civic Si in stock class done right could be very good.

Chris

Chris i was actually going to email you on rear strut options i will run the 8611's in the front but need to talk more about the Rears and which ones you had mentioned.

broken for me ^
edit / figured your link out and fixed

Thanks webby, I usually don't load vids w/ photobucket & I did it on my my phone, so I kinda figured it wouldn't work.. :hiding:

Yea it's usually not that noticeable but work has the perfect speed bumps. I'm really clueless as to what it can be other than the springs.

Yeah, I honestly don't know. I see some springs have them and others don't.

yeah i noticed my sportlines made noise when i first got em. the upper, closely spaced coils came with an insulator from the factory, but the springs still made noise after installation. it didn't go away until i wrapped the lower coils with vinyl tubing. since then i've had no noise. could be worth a shot.

Is the noise a sort of "knock" sound? Sounds like something is loose to me.

Also, the Swift Sport springs that I've seen never had coil sleeves on them. There are a couple shots of the Swift Sport springs on our spring rate test rig, and those don't have coil sleeves on them either.....

Have you checked over everything again....swaybar endlinks?

Chris

Everything is tight unless my tq wrench is faulty or my tq specs are incorrect. I'm gonna triple check everything tomorrow or Sunday I guess.. I'm not pulling the cowl again cause I know for a fact everything up top is tight, I know the camber pinch bolts are tight as well, only thing that "might" be loose could be the sway, I doubt it but I will check. I'll let you guys know ASAP..

Yep everything is tight.. Has to be the springs, hell I can compress em w/ my hands more than the stock springs..

Wire cutters, there actually in the pic..

DSC05687d.jpg

Thank you for this detailed report - I really enjoyed following it - I am now almost inspired to maybe try it myself! Do you find that the Koni adjustment works well and has a good range of adjustment?

[Many years ago I had imported some Spax shocks from England that had 7 settings. Setting 1 was so soft that it was like no shock at all. Setting 2 was so stiff that after pressing the car down you had to wait 5 - 10 seconds for it to get back up. I have no ideal what settings 3 to 7 were for - totally and completely useless - they went straight back to Spax.]

Thank you for this detailed report - I really enjoyed following it - I am now almost inspired to maybe try it myself! Do you find that the Koni adjustment works well and has a good range of adjustment?

[Many years ago I had imported some Spax shocks from England that had 7 settings. Setting 1 was so soft that it was like no shock at all. Setting 2 was so stiff that after pressing the car down you had to wait 5 - 10 seconds for it to get back up. I have no ideal what settings 3 to 7 were for - totally and completely useless - they went straight back to Spax.]

You have 720* of adj w/ these, I believe Koni refers to each half turn as 1. So 2 half turns would be 1 full rotation of the adj. knob, 360*. I have mine set 1 full rotation & 1/2 turn (540*) up front & 1 full rotation (360*) in the rear. IMO for the price you can't beat Koni (esp. if you can catch them w/ a big sale going on like I did :party:).

You have 720* of adj w/ these, I believe Koni refers to each half turn as 1. So 2 half turns would be 1 full rotation of the adj. knob, 360*. I have mine set 1 full rotation & 1/2 turn (540*) up front & 1 full rotation (360*) in the rear. IMO for the price you can't beat Koni (esp. if you can catch them w/ a big sale going on like I did :party:).

Thank you for the info! I am trending towards the Konis.....

Back