Regular Vs. Premium Fuel

So you run this in your EX every month? I have never thought to do this in smaller intervals, how long have you been doing this?
Not so far, Since I got my EX I fed it nothing but Shell and some BP when not near a Shell. I do feed my MC with Seafoam still, but when I got my Coupe it said not to add any additives(I do read my manuals), And I know the station I go to has a good turn over of supply, but it does eat away at my melon that it wouldn't hurt to put my fav' cleaner in, but I haven't done it yet.

But I do use a small (2 oz) amount when using the stuff in my bike and car(if I were to use it in my car), I think it is kind of like why Honda said don't add anything, maybe for ppl that will dump a can in it, where a couple of oz's couldn't hurt, but will help.... JMHO........

Actually, I like BP , I use BP or Shell most of the time, I think the main thing is to use a name brand. Being aware and trying to use good fuel with the recommended octane rating is about all we can do.
Not fueling at a station while the tanker is loading fuel in the ground tanks is one thing to avoid, use a station that have a heavy turn over of refueling.

Im confused on the last sentence can you clarify. Are you saying its good to fuel when a tanker is there because you said not and avoid, 2 negatives make a positive

Don't be cheap. It comes out to under a $5 difference per tank. You spent more on your Si knowing you would spend more on premium... just do it. You basically made the commitment when you bought the car. Don't ruin your engine, performance, and MPG over $3 per tank.

Last edited:
I only run 94 for two reasons, I want to stay away from engine repairs since running lower than 91 will work but it will stress the engine a bit more since it is not designed to run like that. Using 94 the engine is a bit smoother and makes for better response.

I only compared 91 and 94, with TC on I see no difference, with TC off 94 is smoother and not especially a lot peppier but the engine is more responsive, tiny bit nothing outstanding.

A third reason is that gas with time slowly looses a bit of the octane rating if it is too old, so you pay for 91 and get less possibly. 94 will meet the 91 requirement. And as said I feel the minor improvement of 94 so I go with that.

Many said it before me if you commit to an Si the gas difference is not that much if you put in balance the premium you payed for it and the potential cost of engine maintenance/repairs.

Run the good stuff brooksie.

Also as far as engine cleaners and additives go, when you take the car in for scheduled maintenance like the 30k and 60k service intervals, Honda has a 3 pack of cleaners/treatments that they spec. and use. I wouldn't use anything else. If you really wanted to do it more often you could swing into any dealer and ask for the Honda 3 pack.

Im confused on the last sentence can you clarify. Are you saying its good to fuel when a tanker is there because you said not and avoid, 2 negatives make a positive
Sorry about that, I screwed up. Don't fuel our cars when a tanker is fueling the ground tanks.

I was told that's not true due to the series of filters that fuel now has to pass through before being pumped.

:yeahthat:, I also heard the same thing.

About seamfoam, I saw @Dar-Dar's video of his brother's rx8 and ended up watching like 30 videos of it on youtube. That cleaner looks legit! No need to run it any time soon but anyone knows when you should first use it? I.E at what mileage?

tflo2000 might be able to help use with the question about filling your car while the station is getting a delivery of fuel. He is a petro tech!

Yes. The myth about fueling while the stations being refilled is false. There are 2 or 3 filters the gas passes through before it goes in your car. Then it still has to pass through your own filter.

That's good to hear about the stations ground tanks having their own filters. It will sure make me feel better when filling up at a station not knowing if a tanker had just left.
Although Like many debates on which filter is better for our cars, air/oil/gas/etc. , I'll keep in mind how much the stations want to spend on their filters and of course I'll trust that our government regulators of said filters are as good with this as they are about anything they get involved with.

That's just my opinion.

Did I mention that Fram oil filters are said to be among the worst according to all the info I've read ?

:yeahthat:, I also heard the same thing.

About seafoam, I saw @Dar-Dar's video of his brother's rx8 and ended up watching like 30 videos of it on youtube. That cleaner looks legit! No need to run it any time soon but anyone knows when you should first use it? I.E at what mileage?
That is a real good question that I'd like to know as well. One thing I'll add is that it not only cleans but will remove water from the system, and that can happen from any gas station( the newer the station/and/or ground tanks) which is why I try to go to stations that have a lot of turn over.
The only thing I can come up with on when to use it, is if the car seems like it's not preforming as normal from your experience.

That is a real good question that I'd like to know as well. One thing I'll add is that it not only cleans but will remove water from the system, and that can happen from any gas station( the newer the station/and/or ground tanks) which is why I try to go to stations that have a lot of turn over.
The only thing I can come up with on when to use it, is if the car seems like it's not preforming as normal from your experience.

Yeah that's what I'm guessing...like Nix stated above, Honda does the treatments at 30k and 60k so maybe along with those treatments a little seafoam wont hurt?

I've been told there are only two tanks at the stations for reg and prem fuels and the plus grade is a blend of both reg and premium, not sure if that is true but if so, it would be a good compromise of reg vs prem.

I've been told there are only two tanks at the stations for reg and prem fuels and the plus grade is a blend of both reg and premium, not sure if that is true but if so, it would be a good compromise of reg vs prem.

Yes. This is true for a lot of stations

Back