RUST on my 2012 Si

1flySi

NOB
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
I was waxing my Si sedan last week and had my sunroof open so I didnt get wax all over the seal. Well... as I was coming up to the passengers side corner of the sunroof I felt something rough... I pulled down on the windbreaker and BAM a 4" gash of rust right at the front right corner of the sunroof opening. I apologize for not having pics but I want to urge you and others to check this area. When I took my car to the dealership they didnt seem surprised and added it to an already open inquiry with Honda North America.

I live in the south and don't get much snow. My car is also not even a year old (production date 8/12) so just make me feel better and check your sunroofs k? :-P

Thanks for the heads up. If you can snap some pics that would be great.

Its pouring down rain but as soon as it stops I'll snap some. My appointment is Friday to drop it off. At the same time they're replacing my broken shift boot clips for the second time. Grr.

Its pouring down rain but as soon as it stops I'll snap some. My appointment is Friday to drop it off. At the same time they're replacing my broken shift boot clips for the second time. Grr.

Michael Perez is being told by his dealer that it is wear and tear and will not replace his for him.

Last edited:
It is complete BS. Even my Service Advisor confirmed that the clips are junk. He ordered a new boot before even setting the appointment. I even kept the two broken tabs.

Could it be from a rock chip, or is it recessed into the sunroof lip where it wouldn't be exposed to road debris?

My bad, your pics were posted while typing. Yeah, that's not from a rock chip or whatever. Man

That's very noticeable. Good thing you saw it.

The weather seal more than covers this area when closed. I also rarely even use the sunroof. My take is that some part of the sunroof itself has rubbed the paint off and moisture has gotten to it. I just bought this car in February so I'm definitely not pleased about it. I bought it from Checkered Flag Honda (the WORST dealer experience in my life of owning 40 cars) and this is being handled by Priority Honda of which has treated me extremely well. They didn't deny their responsibility, they promptly photographed everything and set an appointment with loaner car. No fuss no hassle just smiles and apologies.

*runs out to check car in garage now.....none :thumb: I didnt hesitate to run out and check, I have the same car as you.
I do live in the desert in california though haha. Not much rust here.

Sorry to hear about this..... You do live next to the ocean, which was kind of mentioned(VA Beach). This is far to early in the cars life for rust where paint should be, glad they're taking care of it.

Back