RUST on my 2012 Si

Sorry to hear about this..... You do live next to the ocean, which was kind of mentioned(VA Beach). This is far to early in the cars life for rust where paint should be, glad they're taking care of it.

Yes I do (about 20 miles inland) but yes far too early to have a rust issue. No such issue found on our 2012 EX either.

Yes I do (about 20 miles inland) but yes far too early to have a rust issue. No such issue found on our 2012 EX either.
Even though you said you don't open it that much, I'm seeing where it's probably been rubbed by the seal that covers that area, and was thinking that maybe a good massage of the rubber might keep it from doing it again??????

Yeah I dont't open it much at all. I've only got 12k miles on it but I see what you mean. I'm just going to let the dealer repair the area then keep an eye on it from that point on.

Last edited:
You have 5yrs/unlimited miles for rust protection. I've never heard of an individual having to fight honda to have a rust spot fixed. The only time you'd not be covered or have problems would be if you had a big rock chip or something. If that rock chip spot would rust, they'd not be fixing it for free. That's not a paint defect or whatever from the factory.

You have 5yrs/unlimited miles for rust protection. I've never heard of an individual having to fight honda to have a rust spot fixed. The only time you'd not be covered or have problems would be if you had a big rock chip or something. If that rock chip spot would rust, they'd not be fixing it for free. That's not a paint defect or whatever from the factory.
What about the guy that had his calipers rusting?

Warranty Coverage
Honda will repair or replace any original body panel that rusts completely through from the inside out (perforated by corrosion). This includes panels previously repaired or replaced under this warranty. Rust that does not perforate, but is caused by a defect in material or workmanship, is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You will not be charged for any parts,
material, or labor under this warranty. The decision to repair, rather than replace, any rusted body panel will be made by Honda.

What about the guy that had his calipers rusting?

That would be me

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371611734.952458.jpg

And Honda didn't do any warranty work on it at all...BUT I believe Webby is correct with the fact that mine wasn't body related even though it sucked, I can't see Honda fighting this warranty claim, that is clearly a defect on the sunroof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pouring down rain but as soon as it stops I'll snap some. My appointment is Friday to drop it off. At the same time they're replacing my broken shift boot clips for the second time. Grr.
Two comments...first, the clip for my shifter boot is also broken. It's a cheap inexpensive, and inadequate piece of plastic. Will be addressing with my dealer shortly. Second...from your photos, it looks like the paint probably came off when the sunroof was installed. Not sure how they did not catch it. However, when I installed my LED tail lights, the paint chipped off similarly. My Si is red, so it stuck out like a sore thumb; and I touched it up. However, considering it was just the plastic of the light that came into contact with the paint, and I didn't even have to apply any significant source, seems to support other comments I've seen on here about the Honda's paint quality...

Last edited:
Skyfox, my z-28 did the same thing,turned out that it sit for a little while outside after a rain storm and the rotors rusted up a little,then I drove it in a rain storm and the rust from the rotors flew off onto the caliper and I never noticed it,it dried and was a real PITA to get off,but it finally did.

Skyfox, my z-28 did the same thing,turned out that it sit for a little while outside after a rain storm and the rotors rusted up a little,then I drove it in a rain storm and the rust from the rotors flew off onto the caliper and I never noticed it,it dried and was a real PITA to get off,but it finally did.

I just finally powder coated them:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371790282.680421.jpg
Problem solved

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Honda has approved my claim. Now it's just getting home to drop the car off. I've been working out of town for the last 3 months so I'm just now able to make an appointment. Once the roof is fixed I'll be dipping it anyway which should also help prevent more of this issue. Two of my friends who also have FB6's have checked theirs and no similar issues found.

Back