SCRAPED FRONT LIP ON MY NEW HFP SI...OMG

jayt101

Omg so today I parked my car at a Tim Hortons. I put up the E-Break like I always do but I'm not sure if I didn't pull it up all the way or what. I came out and saw my car against a curb. I immediately reversed out to access the damage, and it looks like just the left part of my HFP lip is damaged on the underside. It got scraped pretty bad and some of the paint is clearly gone and I can feel how rough it is. Everything else seems fine.

My question is, is this an easy fix? Do i take it back to a body shop or honda? I have a feeling this will be coming out of my own pocket. I don't want this accident to be a gateway for rust to eat my car :'( any suggestions???

Isn't it plastic? Plastic doesn't rust.. If it's underneath why not just leave it alone.

It wasn't in gear :( I must've not pulled the E-break all the way up. Is the HFP Front lip all plastic? if it is then I might not need to worry. Nothing can be seen on the exterior thankfully. I'm kind of OCD with my car.....would a body shop be best or take it back to Honda? I couldn't feel any other scratch or scrape marks and couldn't see anything else either other than that one spot on the HFP lip.

Hopefully the plastic is painted like the body is, if so, you can look up "paint correction" on Youtube, and repair the damage hopefully yourself. Start with a clay bar to see if you can remove any paint transfer/curb paint. Some compound and polish could help it. If the scratches go deep or through to the ABS plastic, it may need to be repainted by a body shop.

Isn't it plastic? Plastic doesn't rust.. If it's underneath why not just leave it alone.

this ^ You won't have rust. If you really want it repaired, any body shop can give you a quote on repair/repaint. If it's not real visible, I'd avoid repainting. It's an area where you'll get damage from curbs, or inclines etc.

Yup! my car is white. The scrape is so bad to the point where you can see the black plastic. I will take a picture tomorrow to show everyone once its daytime out (I'm in Toronto). So you guys wouldn't bother getting it repainted? I'm hoping I didn't get any small scratches on the actual body cause I know that will rust. I am being extremely paranoid with Rust seeing as how I didn't get any rust proof package from the Dealer :'(

Last edited:
I would spray it with plastidip to cover the black plastic showing through. From the pics in that link I posted above, it comes very close to matching the oem white paint. If you really want it fixed from a shop, they'll likely charge a few hundred dollars. Most shops charge around 100/hr plus the cost of paint, etc.

Reactions: Nix
Yup! my car is white. The scrape is so bad to the point where you can see the black plastic. I will take a picture tomorrow to show everyone once its daytime out (I'm in Toronto). So you guys wouldn't bother getting it repainted? I'm hoping I didn't get any small scratches on the actual body cause I know that will rust. I am being extremely paranoid with Rust seeing as how I didn't get any rust proof package from the Dealer :'(
Rust proofing wouldn't have helped, nor would they warranty(For rust) in that situation.

I know you don't need to hear this, BUT, Tell yourself right now "I will never get out of the car without putting it in gear"(if the engines off). We've all done once.
I will not put my keys in the trunk! (no pockets, hang or stick them in waist band).
Always turn and check lights before walking away from car!
I'm in the habit of pulling my e brake up tell I feel it holding... Then release the button.
Form good habits, and they'll work when you're in a hurry.

Is your car lowered?

Always turn and check lights before walking away from car!

Auto lights make this moot.

I know you don't need to hear this, BUT, Tell yourself right now "I will never get out of the car without putting it in gear"(if the engines off)

I have only put my cars in gear (and turn the wheel towards the curb when there is one) when parked on any type of incline. Otherwise, e-brake is sufficient IMHO.

Last edited:
Something similar happened to me:
I was parked on a driveway that was sloped, and when I came out, my car had rolled into the street! (Luckily no damage) Turns out I hadn't pulled the e-brake all the way up. Now I always double and triple-check to make sure my car doesn't roll away.

Sorry to hear about your front lip man, but at least the damage isn't worse

I scraped the left side of my front bumper pulling in to close to a curb the first day I had my car lowered.
-____- looks horrible, although it was under the car it was still slightly noticeable. I sprayed 1 coat of black plasti dip on it and now you can't even tell anything ever happened. Maybe try white plasti dip? If I had the money I would get it repainted but the plasti dip worked perfectly so there was no need :)

Auto lights make this moot.

I have only put my cars in gear (and tun the wheel towards the curb when there is one) when parked on any type of incline. Otherwise, e-brake is sufficient IMHO.
Why would you Not put it in gear? I never realized ppl just don't do it.

Are you saying if I left my lights on they'd turn off by themselves??????

Why would you Not put it in gear? I never realized ppl just don't do it.

Could have been a habit coming from motorcycles. Always left them in neutral. I was riding bikes before driving manual cars.

Not sure if the EX has the feature, but with the Si you just set it to Auto on the stalk.
I just checked my ex, and it doesn't have that feature, but it does "Ding-Dong" If I were to leave them on.

I just checked my ex, and it doesn't have that feature, but it does "Ding-Dong" If I were to leave them on.

Bummer. It is probably my favorite "lazy driver" feature on the car. In the words of the immortal Ron Popeil:

set-it-forget-it-rankings.jpg

Back