stilletto's '11 Subaru WRX Sedan

Good job, I've always been an EVO guy. How do they compare to you?
Actually, I'll compare the two PLUS a 9th Gen.

The current Civic Si is almost a PERFECT Daily Driver.
Both engine and transmission are crisp and smooth as butter, it's the one thing I wish transferred over to these "Rally" based cars.
I've driven both my old FA5, a friend's FB6, which actually caught fire, and most recently, his FG4.
If these weren't FWD, or packed more of a punch out of the factory, I'd be in one permanently.

The "Stinkeye" WRX, as it's been named, is good, but no STI.
The interior is probably the worst out of all three, but hey, they're econo-boxes.
Transmission is notchy as all heck, but you learn to live with it. Nothing a heavy weighted shift knob can't fix.
Power delivery is a punch in the face. Biggest torque blast out of the three.
Stage 2 is more than plenty for most owner's. Such crazy things a few parts and OTS tune can do.
Biggest downfall for the Rex, has always been, is the split case transmission.
The new WRX DOES has a six speed, but it's essentially the same transmission with an added gear. Bust.

Now, the Evo X.. The interior, MINUS the WONDERFUL Recaro's, is almost as bad as the Rex.
The car actually feels slower than the Subaru, but when lined up with a friend's Hawkeye Sti, runs side by side.
The powerband is so much smoother, and there's more power up top. Fifth gear pulls crazy hard.
Biggest issue, which is a common problem amongst the forums, is a 2-3 Notch/Grind when shifting.
Guess it can be even worse for other owner's, sometimes all the way through to fourth, but these issues go away once warmed up.
The thing just goes wherever you want it to. Point and shoot. Also wastes the most gas out of the three.
Ultimately, I wanted an Evo for the high responsiveness to aftermarket parts. Some tuners are able to squeeze close to
300awhp out of a STOCK car. Craziness. With full bolt-ons and an upgraded turbo, you're looking closer to four.

So, yeah.. I'm an enthusiast, and have a terrible problem trading cars every year, but I love them all!

I had no problem leaving my 11 WRX.
Really? Only reason I bailed was the Transmission. PPG Gears are over-rated and an STI Swap is $7k+.
The car was on the 2nd bad clutch at 46k miles and was getting worse again. the clutch was smooth for maybe 2k of those miles. Notchy as a mutha. Yes, awd, pretty quick, pretty good at autox.....but.... I wanted a more mature car with amenities and not a plastic car. I wanted a car that could be tossed around and not a heavy handling car

Reactions: Nix
The car was on the 2nd bad clutch at 46k miles and was getting worse again. the clutch was smooth for maybe 2k of those miles. Notchy as a mutha. Yes, awd, pretty quick, pretty good at autox.....but.... I wanted a more mature car with amenities and not a plastic car. I wanted a car that could be tossed around and not a heavy handling car

Because racecar ;)

$7k+ for STi trans swap? lol whomever quoted you that is taking you to the cleaners lol
Four different shops including Six Star Motorsports, APM Tuned, and P&L Motorsports.
Each of them MAJOR players in the Subaru game.
You have to remember, you're swapping over the Suspension, 5x100 to 5x114 Hubs, DCCD Controller, Brembos, etc. Such a huge pain in the ***.

Last edited:
yay new parts for anything, and also thanks for keeping us updated and in touch on your personal experiences with these cars. It's great to hear from someone who had actually driven all of them even if its good or bad. Excellent info man.

..and also thanks for keeping us updated and in touch on your personal experiences with these cars..
This is one of the best Forums I'm a member of. Local groups do nothing but troll, and some of the Mitsu/Subi sites are full of nothing but snobs.

Close friend bought an MS3 after his Bolted and Tuned FB6 caught fire, but now traded back into an FG4.
With my awesome powers of persuasion, it'll be SC'd by spring.

Ordered a Dr. ColorChip kit for a few chips on my roof.

Dunno' if anyone's ever used this stuff before, but I had great results while touching up the dozen or so chips on the hood of my Subaru. Turns out pretty good as long as you take your time and layer on the paint. I might post a before and after.

Reactions: Nix
yay new parts for anything, and also thanks for keeping us updated and in touch on your personal experiences with these cars. It's great to hear from someone who had actually driven all of them even if its good or bad. Excellent info man.
echoing this ^.... thanks for the reviews.

Picked up a Speed Bleeder and plan to remove the Clutch Restrictor Pill, which essentially slips your clutch, this weekend. Sounds promising.

Well then..
7uramesy.jpg

Back