Tail of the dragon meet 2019

I'm a big fan of cabins. Otherwise guys tend to stay in different places and it's hard to coordinate schedules. Besides, a cabin provides kind'a of party atmosphere where everybody has a central meeting place. And a BBQ and other food is readily available and affordable.

A few other considerations:

a) Despite the cell reception problem, cabins do have internet and often a land line phone in case you need to call your gf, s.o. or.... mom.

b) Besides, cell service is a problem almost everywhere. You'll have it one minute then not the next... especially at 180mph.

c) Fontana does have excellent campsites right at the foot of the dam. And "dirt" cheap... haha. They even allow 2 tents per campsight and have showers.
If you didn't want to spend $200+ on motels or sharing a cabin (3 nts, right?) camping is the way to go. About $20/person for all 3 days.

The rooms in Lodge itself run about $150/nt. now. Way overpriced. But there were years when we had 40+ guys stay there.

Here's camping info: https://www.fontanavillage.com/lodging/the-campground/

The view from above, with the campsite at the extreme lower right.

upload_2019-3-23_15-4-8.jpeg

I'll be there twice this year if all goes according to plan. Let's see if the fall dates can line up.

I'll be there twice this year if all goes according to plan. Let's see if the fall dates can line up.

BTW, this year Please no complaining about how long the trip takes. @SpartanML drives 13 - 15 hrs to get there, right Mike?

And that's just the first day for those of us on the West Coast: https://goo.gl/maps/bU52By1ngd32

(Worth every minute too)

My wife and kid is wanting to go with to have a get away and enjoy the mountains while I go driving. If they decide not to go I am definitely down going in on a cabin if there's enough people that want to.

@k757 travels an even further distance than I do. Plans are still being formulated at this time. The people who do these trips regularly are extremely experienced drivers and the pace can get to be a bit much for newcomers.

Last edited:
I hear ya, definitely. The pace can be a bit much. And there are those who take the event much more seriously than others (me included) and have the cars, experience and/or suicidal tendencies to back-up their heavy right foot. JK.

FWIW -- this is my sixth year and i've never found experience to be a widespread problem that adversely affects others. Those with less experience -- which often amounts to those with stock vehicles or first-timers -- tend to hang back and play it safer, that's all. And who wouldn't want that anyway? By the time we all get to the waterfall in Franklin (Hwy 28 for example) the first timers are only behind by a few minutes anyway. That's the way it should be. Nobody gets hurt.

One thing's for sure - those who insist on instant improvement/results and aren't comfortable with the faster pace probably won't bother showing up next year. In a way that's too bad because we all want to support the progression of better driving skills.

So I encourage everyone to attend regardless.

There are just a few hard and fast rules:

1) No passing
2) Maintain your lane as if your life depended on it -- because it does.
3) Drive within your own abilities
4) Drive within your car's abilities
5) Fill in the blank...

How can you not pass a slow car, good chance of being hit from behind. by the way I would be on the dragon instantly if it wasn't like many miles from where I am, so I have my own dragon road. Making a new road up in Maine coast land, plenty of curvy road but on the bumpy side. Drove the srt-4 today, needs a bit of tuning but is so much faster then Honda si. My favorite Honda vfr interceptor 800 is getting a new 520 chain kit, fork oil and carbon muffler repacked with foam, nothing beats a motorcycle:waiting:

This thread is entertaining. I wish I could go at least once. lol
eb1f47c819d5687e8e0db81091e4c324.jpg
8b198fe6a7d9a7f13ea254f9942b0933.jpg

September is doubtful for me, solo nationals (autocross), I'm leaving NC so a spring trip is doubtful as well. I may do a day trip to the dragon before I leave just to drive it one more time.

I think this sonofwolf person isn't real and is just troll account

....change my mind

My wife and kid is wanting to go with to have a get away and enjoy the mountains while I go driving. If they decide not to go I am definitely down going in on a cabin if there's enough people that want to.
At least when i've organized things we've always accommodated couples or old geezers like myself by giving them the king bed or larger room. Bunk beds are common too. Be great to have the wife and kids along... bring'em! Oh, she can cook right?! jk!

September is doubtful for me, solo nationals (autocross), I'm leaving NC so a spring trip is doubtful as well. I may do a day trip to the dragon before I leave just to drive it one more time.

I think this sonofwolf person isn't real and is just troll account

....change my mind
Thanks for checkin' in Jason. Appreciate it. Don't forget I still owe you that Bogart's Filet with all the fixings ... it's just that you're making it real hard to pay up. Good thing you're not charging interest!

Enjoy the Nationals. You'll do well -- we all know that much.

P.S. I'm with you on sonofwolf... doesn't look good.

This thread is entertaining. I wish I could go at least once. lol
eb1f47c819d5687e8e0db81091e4c324.jpg
8b198fe6a7d9a7f13ea254f9942b0933.jpg
Will never forget the first time you pulled away from me on the Moonshiner. VTEC, yo. And you were gone. Glad to see it's still going strong.

Back