Tail of the dragon meet 2019

At least when i've organized things we've always accommodated couples or old geezers like myself by giving them the king bed or larger room. Bunk beds are common too. Be great to have the wife and kids along... bring'em! Oh, she can cook right?! jk!
Lol good thing is she likes to cook

@SpartanML Looks pretty definite that Jason can't make it this year. That's too bad, for both of us. So are you pretty much out this time?

@mySIck Good news, bad news. Doesn't sound like very many interested, so we'll continue to put the word out; after all it's early. And we don't need a big group anyway. 4 - 6 solid guys would be fine. But they definitely need to be solid. Keep in mind that given the distance from California I need more time than most for planning. And I sure ain't coming out to drive solo! :(

Let's come to a decision by the end of May. 2 months from now. While i'm flexible on dates, i think the week after Labor Day would dead up there. And still good heat for the tires. We could meet up on Labor Day, September 2nd and leave Friday the 6th. 4 nights/3 full days would be awesome.

Then again, if most need to use a weekend I'd propose meeting up on any Thursday night and leaving Sunday. That would give us 1 full day without weekend traffic and heightened LEO.

Okay, everyone... dust off the calendar and chime in!

September is doubtful for me, solo nationals (autocross), I'm leaving NC so a spring trip is doubtful as well. I may do a day trip to the dragon before I leave just to drive it one more time.

I think this sonofwolf person isn't real and is just troll account

....change my mind

Back to the Dragon meet. Everyone would need at least 2 days off work, a Thursday (travel day) and Friday. If there's ANY way you can swing it, a better experience is taking 4 days off arriving Monday September 2 (Labor Day) and heading back Friday, still home for the weekend.

Nobody needs to remind you of the obvious (but I will anyway) : 4 full days of driving fast, drinking NOS and eating pizza is twice as good as 2 days. At least.

Yessir! I gotta see how my time off is looking come September south the new govt job. But i think I'll be ok.
@mySIck

For those interested in the Dragon this year let's begin work on the Grand Plan. Or not so Grand Plan. You pick.

To me, even the 3 of us (plus "chef") could raise hell and have a grand ole' time by ourselves, no problem. At the same time there are obvious "economies of scale" that would enable us to rent nicer facilities given a larger group. Which means we could rent a very large, killer cabin if we had more paying customers. Like Duh.

So here's what i'll do, by May 31 I will propose and detail our three main options:

1) An exclusive but more modest cabin retreat for just the 3+ of us, with Bauer and company getting the King Suite and/or bunks for the little one(s).

2) If there's sufficient interest, a bigger cabin for 6 - 8 with each person getting their own bed. (That's important for some of us) This would be a first class cabin experience with all the bells and whistles...a kitchen, large living room, fire pit, hot tub, the works. For the largest groups (8 - 10) throw in a pool table, 20 foot high windows, maybe even foosball. Almost all have laundry facilities too. But this option is only available with a larger group who can swing $200 - $300 each. That's more difficult than it sounds.

These 'bigger is better' arrangements are tricky because whoever organizes the trip needs part of the money in advance. There are advance reservations required, cleaning fees, security deposits, all of which tend to be non-refundable after a certain point. It all spells risk for those putting it on. And the failure of just two people to pony up kills the deal for everyone. It's tough.

People who change their mind, no-shows, or those who just want to crash on the coach at the last minute make it difficult... unless the trip is structured with that flexibility from the beginning. (Nix and I have sponsored two such trips, but knew the terms in advance)

Bottom line -- with 8 - 10 people it's easy to live like the rich for a few days. It's great fun, and that can be said regardless of where you stay. We can even let a third party organizer handle the funds (like an escrow account) so that nobody worries about getting their money back in the event of a re-schedule or cancellation.

Regardless of which way we go, figure $75 - $100/day per adult for accommodations, less for couples/families. The longer we stay the less it costs per day. And kids (if there are any) should be free or almost free, imo. Bunks are great for the kids... but so are sleeping bags.

Once we figure how much money is available for the trip the rest is fairly easy. That's basically the kind of information you'll need in a month's time.

3) The free option -- camping. Timing is key... and the beginning of September should still be warm enough. There are showers there too, with internet access, comfy couches and a two restaurants right up the hill from the campgrounds. (I'm talking Fontana)

Perhaps this last option should be part of option "#1" above... meaning it's designed for a small group. I don't see it happening for anyone outside the truly hardcore.

Give it some thought.
:hitit:

Went to nearby ThunderHill recently: https://www.thunderhill.com

...thinking that my existing pads were good enough. (I'll replace them next week I thought) Ditto my old PSS. Wrong. So wrong. And so stupid.
I not only destroyed my existing pads and tires but had to leave early because the car was essentially un-drivable and unsafe. And I had just purchased a tank of 100 octane, too, with a custom calibration to employ its use. Didn't matter.

Sure I was going against two GT3's, an M3 and an M5 (the first 3 were lapping me like I was standing still) and all of which out-gunned and outclassed me even in the parking lot.

Still, I was holding my own against the newb driver of an M5 (not a track version obviously) who would spurt ahead on the straights. Meanwhile I could see his frustration of my Japanese front that refused to disappear from his rear view mirror. (Yes, was the highlight of my day)

What I had underestimated was my car's stability control. Apparently, it attempts to keep the car on the straight and narrow by activating the rear brakes. A picture of those brakes -- at least the last moments of their life -- are seen below:

Attachments

• brake_pad.png
    brake_pad.png
    643.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
View attachment 58926

@Bruce Bartlow I am going to hang at the back if I can get away for the weekend lol.

I should get some good tires lol :banghead:
If you had to make a choice, skip the Dragon and buy tires. Gotta have tires. If you could do just one other thing (in addition to tires) install a rear sway bar. Best $180 you'll ever spend. DYI too.

If you'd be looking for a sticky summer tire the Pilot Super Sports (a top rated summer tire) are incredible, and incredibly good in the rain as well. Absolutely no traction in the snow -- you will die. The Bridgestone RE-71R's are also a top pick. Those are a little edgier at the limit, and not quite as sure footed in the rain. But overall a slightly better tire in dry conditions. Very sticky with a 20,000 warranty.

One reason I've opted for the PSS is their 30,000 warranty. Hopefully you can find them since most were sold last year preparing for their new Sport 4, another fantastic tire... but expensive since they're new. By August/September they'll be cheaper. Best to wait.

Great website for reviews: www.tirerack.com

Back