The Dragon -- speed limits and speed traps

One thing about the Dragon vs's other public roads is the ppl that run the store "Tail of the Dragon" go out in the morning and check out the road, and will put quick-dry down where/if needed, sweep areas if needed. The photo-guys will warn you if somethings going on up/down the road(kind of like flaggers on a track, but not that well). If there's a semi on the road and you pay attention to ppl in the lay-bys/on comers/photo-peeps/etc. ,they'll let you know. What the real problem is, is the on coming cars/bikes that can cross the line at any time mostly because of lack of skill, as opposed to the speeders that stay on their side most of the time, and cut where it shouldn't be a problem to on coming traffic. Back to riding durning the week, and I don't like the idea of taking a car on that road, because there's no room to get out of the way. MC only for me, thank you very much.

One thing about the Dragon vs's other public roads is the ppl that run the store "Tail of the Dragon" go out in the morning and check out the road, and will put quick-dry down where/if needed, sweep areas if needed. The photo-guys will warn you if somethings going on up/down the road(kind of like flaggers on a track, but not that well). If there's a semi on the road and you pay attention to ppl in the lay-bys/on comers/photo-peeps/etc. ,they'll let you know. What the real problem is, is the on coming cars/bikes that can cross the line at any time mostly because of lack of skill, as opposed to the speeders that stay on their side most of the time, and cut where it shouldn't be a problem to on coming traffic. Back to riding durning the week, and I don't like the idea of taking a car on that road, because there's no room to get out of the way. MC only for me, thank you very much.

Also.....alot of the oncoming bikers will wave at you if you need to slow down for up coming cops or if there are issues on the road ahead.

There were a couple of people on Sat picking up trash. My passenger yelled out, "Thanks!".

I let the fast people go first so they can get tickets :pimp:
Good point, I do that pretty much where ever I go. When driving semi's we use our CB's to find a lead&trail(cb talk front door & back door).

Ya, it looks like a lot of fun, but I think I would be constantly thinking about a semi trailer blocking both lanes around the next blind corner. Wouldn't it be great if it was closed to traffic at certain times, say 5 - 8 a.m. and was open only 1 way. They could charge people big bucks and give official times. I'd be in for that.

Looks like a lot of fun, but just can't justify driving that far to possibly put myself into a dangerous, or even potentially fatal position. IDK, maybe the video is exaggerating the danger. ???

Speed Trap Map:

http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_radar.html[/quote
I was expecting a cage to come over the line at you. I watched the whole video and you were doing pretty good at staying on your side of the road(with the exception of your head crossing the line, and those were curves you could see around). Anyway thanks for sharing. I liked the way the cage driver was so concerned for you though, it's nice to see the sensitive side of ppl once in a while...... Glad you and your bike were ok............
I was expecting a cage to come over the line at you. I watched the whole video and you were doing pretty good at staying on your side of the road(with the exception of your head crossing the line, and those were curves you could see around). Anyway thanks for sharing. I liked the way the cage driver was so concerned for you though, it's nice to see the sensitive side of ppl once in a while...... Glad you and your bike were ok............
Hey Monk... Just doing some research on TOD and came across your response to "Jeremy" going into the bushes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes i've ridden bikes for a long time, but no, that was not me on the bike. Nice of you to respond, though... thanks.

The Dragon is like any other place, where it is sensationalized and maybe a bit overhyped. Yes there are stories, pictures, and even videos of scary incidents, but the vast majority of visitors have a positive experience there.

Although the primary reason for being there is the driving and scenery, our group primarily attend to hang out and spend time with each other. Eating, playing, talking, etc. are most of the experiences that we remember when looking back each time.

You can see on the map above that everything happens on the TN/NC border, triangulating in between Robbinsville, Tellico Plains, and Vonore.

The actual Tail of the Dragon overlaps the TN/NC border near Deals Gap

Bulkybear
How 'bout this september?
Wow. Totally didn't see that post lol. My bad, I use tapatalk and don't see notifications when users tag me in a post. Let me see what I have going on closer to September. That would be perfect though as that's my birthday. Any specific days during September I need to shoot for?

Back