Ticking

TheSlowAndTheSerious

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
So today it reached 90 degrees in Jersey, never driven my Si in this kind of weather before. I'm now at 4k, always use premium. I don't drive crazy at all lol I barely hit vtec maybe once or twice a week....tonight I did. Lol I get to work and park my car, I start hearing this ticking sound. Never really heard it before but I know Honda's are known for it. I researched a bit and its all over 8thcivic and people saying its the injectors that are loud. But!! I revved my engine a bit, ~2k rpm, and heard a very low tone quick rumbling sound coming from my exhaust, I tried recording it my cell phones cam didn't really pick it up. NEVER heard that from my car before. Is this normal? My car is running perfectly just drove it around a bit on my break and its driving perfectly, I'm not getting a CEL or anything. If you guys need more details let me know. Help!

Sounds to me like your getting more injector ticking and exhaust noise. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the weather in Arizona we have been between 95 - 100+ for a few weeks now. And since your not throwing a code I wouldn't worry about it

Yeah the cars just breaking in now, the ticking definitely seems like its just the injectors. Never heard that rumble come from my exhaust though. It's barely noticeable but when I rev it I hear the little rumble...I guess coming from a r18 I wasn't expecting this haha

So on a cold start this morning I barely heard any ticking, once the car warmed up it started becoming more audible. I'm 99% sure its the injectors, I'm just paying more mind to it now. And the exhaust rumble is still there, but only heard when I rev the car on neutral and you could barely hear it just a small small rumble, I also think its just exhaust noise lol. Car gave me no problem on the way home, even hit vtec once :) lmfao and everything seems fine. It's not shaking, not throwing any codes, no funky smells, and driving fine. I'm just paranoid I guess. Or just trying to convince myself to buy a full race exhaust already LOL

I've almost always heard the ticking on cars after shutting off the car. The only time I don't really hear it is after a short drive (less than 10 miles). Seems like the longer the engine runs, the louder/longer the ticking, because when I drive to my dad's house (125 miles) or back home from there I hear it louder.

Perhaps it's the sound of the metal of the engine contracting while cooling combined with the stress on bolts being relieved? Since it expands when warmed up...

Last edited:
I've almost always heard the ticking on cars after shutting off the car. The only time I don't really hear it is after a short drive (less than 10 miles). Seems like the longer the engine runs, the louder/longer the ticking, because when I drive to my dad's house (125 miles) or back home from there I hear it louder.

Perhaps it's the sound of the metal of the engine contracting while cooling combined with the stress on bolts being relieved? Since it expands when warmed up...

Yep exactly this! The ticking has always been there but last night was the hottest weather I've driven my car in, and from my house to work its about a 15 mi. drive, about 20 mins to get there. Honda is known for the ticking, I know there's 100s of threads on it on 8thcivic.

Yep exactly this! The ticking has always been there but last night was the hottest weather I've driven my car in, and from my house to work its about a 15 mi. drive, about 20 mins to get there. Honda is known for the ticking, I know there's 100s of threads on it on 8thcivic.
Well, the infamous Honda ticking i've always read about refers to the valves ticking while running even when valve clearance is properly adjusted.

Are you sure that's not what those 100's of threads are talking about? I've never really read anything about the ticking after shutoff that you described. It's normal though and I think it's caused by expanding/contraction of metal in the engine.

Well, the infamous Honda ticking i've always read about refers to the valves ticking while running even when valve clearance is properly adjusted.

Are you sure that's not what those 100's of threads are talking about? I've never really read anything about the ticking after shutoff that you described. It's normal though and I think it's caused by expanding/contraction of metal in the engine.

No no no no, my car doesn't tick while its off. Lol it ticks while I idle after I take it for a drive. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough on my post, i kind of out of it after working 6 overnight shifts 6 nights in a Row Lol

No no no no, my car doesn't tick while its off. Lol it ticks while I idle after I take it for a drive. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear enough on my post, i kind of out of it after working 6 overnight shifts 6 nights in a Row Lol

At this point, I would recommend taking it to the dealer and have them listen to it and look at it.

Ah, I interpreted the car being parked as it being shut off, and then the ticking.

If it seems abnormal to you then I would take it in and have them inspect the head for loose anything and to check the valve clearance. If all checks out I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Ah, I interpreted the car being parked as it being shut off, and then the ticking.

If it seems abnormal to you then I would take it in and have them inspect the head for loose anything and to check the valve clearance. If all checks out I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah that ticking really isn't worrying me, that slight rumble I hear from my exhaust when I rev it is what has me baffled. I don't hear it when I drive, just when I'm parked, car on neutral, I rev it a bit and I hear a very light rumble/throaty sound from my exhaust. Never heard that from my stock exhaust till last night when I was really paying attention to all the sounds I was hearing lol.

Guess i'd have to hear it in person to understand. Always thought that my Si exhaust sounded pretty throaty for a stock exhaust though. I like its tone. Or does something sound broken?

Guess i'd have to hear it in person to understand. Always thought that my Si exhaust sounded pretty throaty for a stock exhaust though. I like its tone. Or does something sound broken?

I'm gonna try recording it again to see if I could pick it up and you guys be the judge of it

Is your AC on? Does the rumbling happen when the idle jumps (fan running)?

By the way, last time I filled up, the tanker was there filling the station up. I heard its not good to fuel your car up while the tanker is there. Could this be the issue?

Have you checked your oil level lately?. I know its a new car , but it never hurts to check.

Yeah I check my oil about every week. I check it each time I wash my car, oils good. I recorded a video of the ticking...now to figure out how to upload it lol

Back