Tires

Coming from Canada I can safely say all seasons are great for all 4 seasons if you live in Florida or California. I always have and alway will have a set of tires for summer and ones for winter. Especially if you are running low profiles. Get a set of winters on steelies.

I have three sets of wheels and tires. PSS (UHP) on my 17x8 Alleggeritas, Cooper RS3-S (UHP) on my stock wheels, and General Altimax Arctics on my TSX wheels for winter. I have nothing to say about the PSS yet since I haven't tried driving with those on just yet. The RS3-S are great in the wet and very grippy for summer tires. Winter tires are a must for NJ, especially during the past winter since it was pretty bad. I only run them when the temp is below 45F or so, for the reason that I have two sets of summer tires. I'm not even sure if I'll ever go back to running all-seasons since they aren't fun and make the car drive sluggish (not as bad as winter tires, but winter tires have a purpose). As for storage, you can store the tires against the garage walls (or even a shed or a storage space) by stacking them up on fours. Like so:
IMG_20150515_200919716_zpsvirjttuk.jpg

Well of course it's also about how they handle but I want a low profile tire that looks good on the car. That's all.
I have pirelli cinturato p7s. Good all seasons, awesome in the wet and I got a good deal ($700 CDN for 17s). Compromise and go 225/45/18s. Not positive about snow handling as I'm in the great white north and we NEED a winter setup, no exceptions.

225/45 is a terrible size for 18s. The stock 225/40 is much better. If you had 17s & you wanted wider 235/40 is a great size.

Yes a 225/45/17 is a very common size and isn't too bad. The 235/45 is going to have a very tall sidewall in comparison.

Staying within a % or two of stock size is not only good for maintaining your speedometer and odometer reading gs but also means your spare tire will still fit and work properly.

Yes a 225/45/17 is a very common size and isn't too bad. The 235/45 is going to have a very tall sidewall in comparison.
I think I might have a terrible understanding tire size. I think 45's represent the size of the sidewall.. and 45 seems pretty low pro on my csr So i figured it would on his as well.

The first number is the width (225) and the second number is the sidewall height but as a percentage of the width.

For ease of explanation a 200/50 tire means a 200 width and a sidewall height of 50% of the width, or 100.

So even though there are 225/45 and 235/45 tires the sidewalls are different heights because the 45 is 45% of the width. It is not a fixed number. If that makes sense.

The first number is the width (225) and the second number is the sidewall height but as a percentage of the width.

For ease of explanation a 200/50 tire means a 200 width and a sidewall height of 50% of the width, or 100.

So even though there are 225/45 and 235/45 tires the sidewalls are different heights because the 45 is 45% of the width. It is not a fixed number. If that makes sense.
It definitely does. I can maths fairly well haha just didn't know it was a % or forgot I spose. Thank you, I understand "truck tire" now.

Pilot sport a/s 3's. Not near as good as PSS, but works all year round. A little noisy but not bad.

Thank you, I think I'm going to go for the Michelin Pilot super sport tires when I ready though. Thanks.
That's what I went with and I love them. But I do have a dedicated winter setup. Although the "winter" tires are just the stock all seasons, it'll be 100 times better than trying to go through snow and cold in summer tires.

Keep in mind if you try to run summer tires in the winter, you'll destroy them because the rubber isn't made to work in temps lower than ~40°

That's what I went with and I love them. But I do have a dedicated winter setup. Although the "winter" tires are just the stock all seasons, it'll be 100 times better than trying to go through snow and cold in summer tires.

Keep in mind if you try to run summer tires in the winter, you'll destroy them because the rubber isn't made to work in temps lower than ~40°
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not buying tires just yet but its food for thought none the less.

Back