TPMS won't turn off

newer civics 14/15 have a way to reset through the imid. The 12/13's don't.

Yeah he said he took it to Honda and they did it in about 5 min. The manual says I possibly could rotate my tires and It could fix the issue.

honda can reset the tpms but they'll charge you upwards of 75 to a 100 dollars

Yeah I am trying to figure out how to do it myself. It can't be to hard.

You have to use a tpms tool that honda has. It's not something you can do without their programming tool. It literally programs the sensor info from each wheel. I don't want to discourage you, but I give "reprogramming" a one in a million shot. Tire shops usually have a tool to reprogram certain brand sensors. I'd still go to the shop that installed. In 20 seconds they could have the tire off and see if the sensor is cracked.

I am going to take it to them in the morning to see if they can fix it. I am just annoyed I couldn't have fun at the track tonight.

I found out if your TPMS light is on and the low air light(the one on the dash) flashes for 1 min. It's because the sensor is not reading the tire pressure correctly. And you can do 1 of two things rotate your tires and drive around it will cause you low air light and the TPMS warning on the IMID to go crazy but just ignore the flashing and beeping noses. It should go off after driving for an 1/8th to a 1/4 of a mile. But if the crazy Disco party is not happening after you rotate your tires you might have to do it again. It worked for me on the first try and I have drove around for about 120 miles and the light has not came back on.
But if that fails you can go to Advance Auto and sometimes they may have the TPMS tool to rest it but more then likely you will end up at the Honda Dealership or maybe ask a friendly favor from someone at a firestone.

And another thing I tried was pulling the ABS Fuse I tested this in my neighborhood at a low speed it didn't really feel like it did anything to the Power steering but my brakes felt weak as in the longer you apply them the further you will have to push the pedal in until you had no break power at all. So I don't recommend doing it. All though I was not trying to be brave in my neighborhood to try the brake pumping technique and definitely not brave enough to go 107 MPH down the strip and try it.

Thanks I am so happy I can finally turn traction control off when I go to the track now. It was quite embarrassing trying to run with it on.

And I did forget to mention that also when your TPMS warning ⚠ comes on your IMID and the low air indicator on the dash dose not flash it's more then likely one of the sensor's are bad. (don't get confused with the TPMS and Low air indicator on the IMID)

Reactions: Nix
It should look something like this

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_35.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_35.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 10
If I'm not mistake (and this only apply's to 14-15's) the TPMS reads off wheel speed sensors. I could be totally wrong but i thought i read that somewhere (possibly owners manual) and having flexible rubber valve stems is another hint to me. Although ford used rubber valves stems for TPMS but they didn't flex much.

If I'm not mistake (and this only apply's to 14-15's) the TPMS reads off wheel speed sensors. I could be totally wrong but i thought i read that somewhere (possibly owners manual) and having flexible rubber valve stems is another hint to me. Although ford used rubber valves stems for TPMS but they didn't flex much.
Mine is a 13 and my valve stems are metal not rubber. And also with the 14-15 you can auto reset the TPMS inside the car. But for the 13s are TPMS is connected to the Valve stems just like the 12s but the 12s and 13s use a deferent TPMS sensor I believe it's why you can't put 2012 wheels on a 13 vis versa. My buddy did this and he had to replace the whole TPMS sensor on all four.

Sorry my car is really dirty and I took the picture with my phone. But this is what it should look like on the 12-13

Attachments

• WP_20150617_14_56_49_Raw.jpg
    WP_20150617_14_56_49_Raw.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 7
Mine is a 13 and my valve stems are metal not rubber. And also with the 14-15 you can auto reset the TPMS inside the car. But for the 13s are TPMS is connected to the Valve stems just like the 12s but the 12s and 13s use a deferent TPMS sensor I believe it's why you can't put 2012 wheels on a 13 vis versa. My buddy did this and he had to replace the whole TPMS sensor on all four.
The sensors all have a unique id number on them. Each one is programmed to the car. If you swap to someone else's wheels, it won't see the correct info & throw an error. The wheels could have been left as is and just reprogrammed at the dealer.

Then maybe he had 4 bad one's because the guy at the Honda dealership tried to reset them and it didn't work

If you can break the tire down and swap sensors then you can trade/swap any wheel rim you want as long as the sensors stay with the vehicle (also sensor angles can make a difference as steel wheels vs aluminium wheels have different molding shapes and the sensor wont sit flush or even fully seat properly). Toyota is the exact same way, need the factory scan tool to program the ID's of the sensors. Using wheel speeds senors as TPMS just requires some algorithms programmed in the ABS module to determine the circumference of the tire vs vehicle speed and speed of each individual tire compared to each other. More air bigger circumference and vice versa and in the long run is simpler on the customer and less components for cost/weight. The only down side is this system is not immediate to alert you the second you turn the car on, you must drive a little to get the proper readings.

I personally like the wheel speed sensor style since there's less risk of damaging the sensor when mounting wheels and TPMS batteries will die over time and must be replaced with a new sensor.

I personally like the wheel speed sensor style since there's less risk of damaging the sensor when mounting wheels and TPMS batteries will die over time and must be replaced with a new sensor.
and you can swap winter/summer wheels without having to have things reprogrammed constantly. That is the biggest bonus

and you can swap winter/summer wheels without having to have things reprogrammed constantly. That is the biggest bonus

Very true but that's one reason I love Florida, summer tires year round! Also you can replace your valve stems every tire change cheaper (or free as it should be part of any tire change procedure when replacing tires) as rubber tends to deteriorate. With solid valve stems you can only replace the valve core but haven't seen issues yet with the solid valve stem with o-ring seal and cap nut design.

Back