Turbo maintenance and protection

Mikeorock

queens, ny
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
coupe
Ok.. I have a couple of concerns
1---what is the best oil to use when you have a turbo?? Some people say synthetic is no good others say it is good.. And should you stick with the factory oil?? Mine is suppose to be ow-20.. I used 5w-20 synthetic..I dont think its a big deal..
2--- i live in ny and its starting to get real cold.. Should i put my car away for the winter??? I feel that it wont be good for the turbo when its freezing out and the oil is thick.. It wont travel to the turbo the way it should..
Thanks for any help

Any legit Full Synthetic, I use either Amsoil or Eneos, should work fine. In regards to the cold, just allow proper warm up and cool down time. You'll be fine.

Reactions: Nix
Usually they want people to use full synthetic with a turbo application.

Haha. I was trying to avoid mentioning that Mobil 1 isn't a Full Synthetic.
Ok.. So next time ill get full synthetic.. I didnt know there was a such thing as not full synthetic.. They should mention that on the bottle

Id rather you mention that its not full synthetic so i know.. Thanks evereyone

Too late man... Tooo late!!!! Haha.. no.. thanks.. No harm for now.. Im glad i know for my next change.. Thanks again..

Ok.. So next time ill get full synthetic.. I didnt know there was a such thing as not full synthetic.. They should mention that on the bottle
They still consider it synthetic, but they are split into 3 groups. Mobil is group 3 along with many other labeled synthetics. It's not 100% synthetic as they use some crude to make the oil.

Synthetic Oil
Synthetic base stock lubricant oils, as described above, are man-made and tailored to have a controlled molecular structure with predictable properties. They are composed of organic and inorganic base stock oils combined with polymer packages to produce synthesised oil compounds (API/SAE Groups III, IV & V).

Group III base oils are greater than 90 percent saturates, less than 0.03 percent sulfur and have a viscosity index above 120. These oils are refined even more than Group II base oils and generally are severely hydrocracked (higher pressure and heat). This longer process is designed to achieve a purer base oil. Although made from crude oil, Group III base oils are sometimes described as synthesized hydrocarbons.

PAO
API Group IV Polyalphaolefins, 100% Synthetic chemical compound. Specific type of olefin (organic) that is used as a base stock in some synthetic lubricants. poly-alpha-olefin (or poly-α-olefin, abbreviated as PAO), is a polymer made by polymerizing an alpha-olefin. An alpha-olefin (or α-olefin) is an alkene where the carbon-carbon double bond starts at the α-carbon atom, i.e. the double bond is between the #1 and #2 carbons in the molecule.

Ester
API Group V Esters are 100% Synthetic chemical compounds consisting of a carbonyl adjacent to an ether linkage. They are derived by reacting an oxoacid with ahydroxyl compound such as an alcohol or phenol. Esters are usually derived from an inorganic acid or organic acid in which at least one -OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an -O-alkyl (alkoxy) group, and most commonly from carboxylic acids and alcohols. That is, esters are formed by condensing an acid with an alcohol.

What about when its raining out??? I feel like i should stay away from driving in the rain.. Our turbo is kind of exposed a little ..

you realize how many cars have turbos from the factory? Driving in the rain isn't going to hurt the turbo

I'd be more careful driving in the rain due to the increased power than anything. Probably much easier to spin a wheel than before. As long as you aren't driving through really deep water I don't think you would have an issue.

Also using the thinnest oil you can, 0w/xx, and like Stilletto said, give it a good long warm up time and you should be fine. Most oil is too thick on startup to protect properly. If you are able to run a winter beater that is definitely your best option. Especially given the nasty salt and sand they use in NY.

What part of the state are you in?

Im in rockaway .. Queens by the ocean.. And yea they go a little overboard with the salt out here

Do an image seach for "hood turbo" on Google.
Thats pretty cool.. I wouldnt drive those cars in the rain.. Im not so much worried about the intake as much as the turbo itself.. On the 9the gens the turbos exposed under the car

Back