Understanding Suspension

mazda_lexus

Can someone send me to a thread that explains suspension and wheels? I'm sorry to look noob-ish but I really want to understand what things like "offset" mean. In terms of lowering, I want to make my car lowered to a flush look but not have to worry about loosing any turn radius/drivability. I just want to have this stuff explained lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_6147.JPG

Offset explained ^

You have to factor in wheel width and offset, tire size, camber settings, rolled or pulled fenders, and how low you are suspension wise.

Do you have any aftermarket wheels or suspension parts? Camber arms?

View attachment 54731

Offset explained ^

You have to factor in wheel width and offset, tire size, camber settings, rolled or pulled fenders, and how low you are suspension wise.

Do you have any aftermarket wheels or suspension parts? Camber arms?

Not yet, the wife said I can finally get some mods with Tax return money!! Yay! So I wanted to drop the car just before it starts cambering outwards. Like hecka flush. But I always here about offset and spacers. Debating on springs or coilovers

http://9thcivic.com/forum/index.php?threads/15057/
Here's a thread I started when I lowered my car just a few weeks ago. 2" drop on truhart springs purchased through HARDmotion.com. my rear wheels have some negative camber, camber arms would be able to fix that, but it's not wildly aggressive so I'm not too worried about it.

Coilovers will obviously be more expensive, but they offer adjustability. Lowering springs are more cost efficient, but you're stuck with that drop. There are some springs that offer a more mild 1.3"-1.5" drop. I think tein and eibach offer some like that

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not yet, the wife said I can finally get some mods with Tax return money!! Yay! So I wanted to drop the car just before it starts cambering outwards. Like hecka flush. But I always here about offset and spacers. Debating on springs or coilovers

Post a link or picture of a car you like. That'd be helpful in knowing the look you're after. "Hellaflush" usually requires a lot of fender work and stretching tires.

Quick explanation on offset: The higher the number, the wheel moves in towards the engine. The lower the number, the wheel moves out towards the fender. Stock is +45, "flush" starts around +35 but also depends on wheel width and tire size.

More than a few people with 17x9 +35 wheels have rubbed on the fenders. Keep that in mind.

I do not recommend running stretched tires personally unless it is very very slight. The narrowest tire I would run on a 9" wheel is a 225 width. That is a slight stretch. Lots of people run narrower to avoid rubbing.

03af9b4b4c69ed3439ae5504be9305b2.jpg

I want something like this, they're D2 springs. Anyone got any recommendations/reviews on it? I'll probably find the thread for them eventually

Im on D2 springs, with 18x8.5 +35 225/40/18. That's pretty much flush without retarded negative camber, its functional. I did have to roll and slightly pull my fenders though, but no rubbing since then. I do plan on going 18x9 +35 later on and going a little lower but still trying to stay functional.

F72D2273-1388-44AB-AEF0-3677B07EF24C_zpsjs1vyrll.jpg

03af9b4b4c69ed3439ae5504be9305b2.jpg

I want something like this, they're D2 springs. Anyone got any recommendations/reviews on it? I'll probably find the thread for them eventually

That car is running fender flares and an insanely low offset/wide wheel. Are you looking to run flares?

@Alberto521 has flares on his car if you want more info

Im on D2 springs, with 18x8.5 +35 225/40/18. That's pretty much flush without retarded negative camber, its functional. I did have to roll and slightly pull my fenders though, but no rubbing since then. I do plan on going 18x9 +35 later on and going a little lower but still trying to stay functional.

F72D2273-1388-44AB-AEF0-3677B07EF24C_zpsjs1vyrll.jpg

Damn that's perfect, can I get a side/back picture of that? I might go for those, but I only have stock wheels/rims :(

That car is running fender flares and an insanely low offset/wide wheel. Are you looking to run flares?

@Alberto521 has flares on his car if you want more info

Yeah eventually wanted to go wide body or run flares. That's why I was asking about offset and such. So that I'm able to understand how to get results I want

How's this?

A285E515-4F7B-43B6-BB61-8766DA002796_zpsjauuv45f.jpg

Yeah man, do it! You'll love the look.

Damn that's pretty perfect! Hope it'd look good with stock rims/wheels! I was highly confused considering those. I saw someone selling them but I may just buy them brand new. No big deal since they aren't gonna bust the pocket. How does it handle? Like, how's the ride?

Yeah unfortunately the stock wheels look really sunken in, I bought my springs new from procivic they're pretty cheap. The ride is a little stiffer than stock but rides nice, and of course it handles a lot better than stock.

I'm still on stock ex wheels for now. It is a lil sunk in, but you don't have to worry about rubbing

Yeah unfortunately the stock wheels look really sunken in, I bought my springs new from procivic they're pretty cheap. The ride is a little stiffer than stock but rides nice, and of course it handles a lot better than stock.

What do you mean by "sunken in"? Is it gonna look bad if I keep stock rims?

It won't look bad, What I meant was they wont look flush with the fenders, in other words when you look at the car from the front or rear like the pics I posted the wheel won't be visible, here are some pics of my stock wheels after the drop.

88F7ED0B-6F0E-4990-BA0D-B7D474E626D9_zpshe78npzo.jpg

6F9EC89D-BFE0-42F1-B37C-A3AF36373C9B_zpszdppebyi.jpg

F625F0CA-AA4A-479A-BB88-3954A550444E_zpsh8v5fjz3.jpg

892305bca6b8cd47f8fa633937330017.jpg

fb2bda1db28f177900af2af99ce2d87a.jpg

Here's a couple shots of mine on ex wheels with a 2" drop. I could use wheel spacers like webby said to get more flush, but I think at least in the front I'd have rubbing issues.

Back