Whats your rpms @ 80mph

This thread is full of cluelessness. Gear ratios are fixed. You don't have a CVT nor a torque converter. It's a close ratio 6 speed with a numerically high final drive gear. No, it doesn't run at low rpm. However 3k+ is normal for a 4cyl car at 80. My V8 Mustang is over 3k at that speed. You'd think you guys had never owned a car before. Maybe you haven't?

This thread is full of cluelessness. Gear ratios are fixed. You don't have a CVT nor a torque converter. It's a close ratio 6 speed with a numerically high final drive gear. No, it doesn't run at low rpm. However 3k+ is normal for a 4cyl car at 80. My V8 Mustang is over 3k at that speed. You'd think you guys had never owned a car before. Maybe you haven't?

No point and calling people clueless, You obvioulsy haven't been around long enough to know there are a lot of questions asked and answers given. Take a chill pill.

We are all here to learn and share knowledge. If you would have paid attention to the thread, the error in thought was noticed and addressed. People have to learn somehow. Sometimes that comes from following a bad line of thought and being corrected by those more knowledgeable.

If you cannot contribute meaningfully, please see yourself out.

Last edited:
I completely get it ... that people come here to learn, but that wasn't the intent of the original post, nor of several follow-ups, which operated on what I can best call a false assertion based on a premise that doesn't make sense. Did the OP think that other people's cars had a different RPM at 80? How? Unless Honda offers different gear ratios, that's not possible. Anyway, yes, I'm new to this forum, but not new to car forums, nor to cars. It just shocked me a little that an owner of a $25,000 enthusiast vehicle wouldn't know that there's a direct relationship between engine/rpm/gear in a manual transmission car, and shocked me more that several posts after that backed up this faulty premise.

I just shoot straight, that's all. Not backing outta the room :) I've been on Internet car forums since before some people here were out of diapers.

-ZeroTX

#cars on EFnet IRC since 1995
VWVortex.com since 1998 (1988 VW GTI, 1998 Passat 1.8T 5spd)
CamaroZ28.com, LS1.com, corral.net, etc. since 2000 (1995 Z28, 2000 Z28, 2001 Mustang GT)
(...and so on!!)

I completely get it ... that people come here to learn, but that wasn't the intent of the original post, nor of several follow-ups, which operated on what I can best call a false assertion based on a premise that doesn't make sense. Did the OP think that other people's cars had a different RPM at 80? How? Unless Honda offers different gear ratios, that's not possible. Anyway, yes, I'm new to this forum, but not new to car forums, nor to cars. It just shocked me a little that an owner of a $25,000 enthusiast vehicle wouldn't know that there's a direct relationship between engine/rpm/gear in a manual transmission car, and shocked me more that several posts after that backed up this faulty premise.

I just shoot straight, that's all. Not backing outta the room :) I've been on Internet car forums since before some people here were out of diapers.

-ZeroTX

CamaroZ28.com, LS1.com, corral.net, etc. since 2000 (1995 Z28, 2000 Z28, 2001 Mustang GT)
(...and so on!!)

There is a big difference between being a straight shooter and being condescending. Just because someone has purchased a performance car, DOES NOT mean they know anything about how it works.

No one cares your history on car forums either. Members here will appreciate you being a valuable member to the community...based on your actions.

If you want to share your past cars, you can post them in the following thread:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/what-were-your-past-cars.4526/

Not backing outta the room :) I've been on Internet car forums since before some people here were out of diapers.

-ZeroTX

(...and so on!!)
:coffee:

I bought the car not knowing anything about it... I was just surprised that the gears was soo low. Bought the car for a daily beater and because Ive own 2 other civics in the pass. Was after the same economy and fun factor as the old EG's.

As the other poster said I'm/we all here for information. And thats cool you started in 95 modding cars. Texas wasnt much of import scene back that so I think. But I remember those days; racing at San Fernando Valley with some of the legends of import scene. Just because I'm new to this forum doesnt mean I'm new to the scene or do I act like my $#!+ dont stink either because of it.

Last edited:
oohhh well looks like I'm going to have my buddies swap out 6th gear for something that will lower my freeway cruising rpms lower...
Just a FYI...... Most top gears are close to, or sitting on zero ratio....... You don't want to go further than that..... Have you tried CC on the Interstate?

Just a FYI...... Most top gears are close to, or sitting on zero ratio....... You don't want to go further than that..... Have you tried CC on the Interstate?
Yesterday I drove around maybe total 50miles of highway use... I was getting 25mpg avg and after driving around the freeway I got bumped to 26.5mpg avg... So it might not be that bad

Trip down to The Dragon at 70-80mph got me 34.5 mpgs!
hhhmm now thats what I want ... I was getting 32mpg on my EG's and is what I was hoping to see in my FB6... Well, I'll see how she is after the next tank of gas. I still have a half tank left and already have 190miles on this one... I hope she'll get more mileage on my next tank of gas when the excitement of the new car goes away. Hehehe

Yesterday I drove around maybe total 50miles of highway use... I was getting 25mpg avg and after driving around the freeway I got bumped to 26.5mpg avg... So it might not be that bad

Good....... I can't compare my 1.8 to your Si...... BUT, I've been doing a lot of MPG test on mine, and have been coming up with far better averages than what others have *posted. Honda advertises 38 highway for my 1.8(mileage may vary), where as the best I've gotten, 46+ mpg......... IMHO most of the variances come from driver input(OR lack of...:D )
I can, and have backed up my claims with pictures of my mpg read out on my dash(I've also logged every fuel stop made since new, and manually used my cell's calculator to see what the difference is between the cars compt. and my calculator. The car is most of the time within less of a mile diff.).

Yeah I think my gas mileage should go up when I just drive it and stop having fun running up the rpms.
Good....... I can't compare my 1.8 to your Si...... BUT, I've been doing a lot of MPG test on mine, and have been coming up with far better averages than what others have *posted. Honda advertises 38 highway for my 1.8(mileage may vary), where as the best I've gotten, 46+ mpg......... IMHO most of the variances come from driver input(OR lack of...:D )
I can, and have backed up my claims with pictures of my mpg read out on my dash(I've also logged every fuel stop made since new, and manually used my cell's calculator to see what the difference is between the cars compt. and my calculator. The car is most of the time within less of a mile diff.).

While I was at the Dragon, I not only stayed out of the Eco setting, but used the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, as opposed to using D3, loved the action, still got mid to high 20's/low 30's(info for other 1.8'ers), keeping the rpm's up between 4 & 6k.

I bought the car not knowing anything about it... I was just surprised that the gears was soo low. Bought the car for a daily beater and because Ive own 2 other civics in the pass. Was after the same economy and fun factor as the old EG's.

I didn't do a lot of research on my Si before buying it, either. The close ratio 6-speed became apparent on the test drive, though. I love it, especially with how easy it is to shift. It's a pleasure to drive and shift it. I don't find the highway RPM's to be much different from other cars with 4cylinder engines, though. It may be slightly higher than my wife's Toyota Matrix, which is why we only get a 31mpg highway rating instead of a 34+ as other vehicles with K24's get. That said, my iMid is telling me my current tank is over 30mpg and it's 100% city/commute driving, with several redline shifts at various times.

As the other poster said I'm/we all here for information. And thats cool you started in 95 modding cars. Texas wasnt much of import scene back that so I think. But I remember those days; racing at San Fernando Valley with some of the legends of import scene. Just because I'm new to this forum doesnt mean I'm new to the scene or do I act like my $#!+ dont stink either because of it.

Well, I'll admit I was not in the import scene at that point. I was in a domestic coupe at that point (Olds Cutlass 2-door, with a wretchedly underpowered 260 V8). I did spend every spare penny upgrading it (mostly wheels, tires, exhaust, etc.), and then later went to a Mazda and then to a Volkswagen. I definitely do not know everything just because I've been into cars my whole life. I learned the basics by reading a Hotrod Magazine series on how a 4-stroke internal combustion engine works when I was a young teen.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can contribute here.

I've been on Internet car forums since before some people here were out of diapers.

-ZeroTX

(...and so on!!)
Welcome and good to see you tone it down, because some of us have been into cars before there was an Internet, and modding them long before your parents even met, let alone you were out of diapers!

Back