Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeDBP

Erie, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si FB6
Body Style
Sedan
I am in the market for a roof rack for my 2012 Civic EX Coupe. I'm interested in anything that fits the car and comes with a bike rack or 2.

I'd prefer a Yakima Q-Tower with Q99 Clips and a bike attachment (Highroller preferred) as this can be used with different feet for my Dad's Audi too. This does not need to include a Short Roof Adaptor. Also, any set with different Q-clips will be fine, as the clips for the Civic are $75 and are easily replaced.

Thule racks or Rocky Mounts will also be considered such that they fit the coupe. I am located in Rochester, NY until mid-May and would be willing to drive a bit to get what I want! Please and thank you. :pray:

Jake

Just out of curiosity.... Any particular reason you want the roof rack over a hitch rack?

I read somewhere that the tongue weight of the hitches are questionable on the coupes? Also, I think I'd prefer a nice, used roof rack since that costs less than a hitch ($150) and then I'd have to find a rack that's a Class I only since that's the only hitch on a Civic. Those are hard to find!

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2012/24763.html?vehicleid=20127081

I run almost the same thing on my coupe. I found the cost of the hitch & hitch rack to be less than a roof rack. Just depends. That's why I was kinda curious. If you find a good deal on the roof rack go for it. I ordered from the same site. They were pretty nice to deal with.

I like the security of the hitch rack and when I pull the rack off there aren't any bars left on top of my car. I ran a roof rack for years on my accord. The noise was very noticeable and I occasionally got leaks around the doors where the feet attached.

I would have gone roof rack again but I found that the really short roofline on my 8th gen coupe was difficult to deal with. I tried the short roofline braces and everything but I couldn't get the trays to line up nicely and I was constantly adjusting it for my snowboard rack.

Since you're local-ish let me know if you want to meet up and get a look at the setup im running.

I wouldn't be too worried about the weight. I have the hitch, a heavy rack, and two big DH bikes on it no problem from Syr to NJ.

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting. My family has a Subaru Outback with a 1.25" rack, and a Kia Sportage SX with a 2" rack. Both are Class II's though. Think that matters? I could get the hitch on and borrow the old man's rack (that's kind of what I don't want to do). There's a great Craiglist Roch listing that I could get with the accessories (Q Towers with Frontloader I think it is) for $350.

$350 is a good deal. I would have done it if I had seen it that cheap! I got my hitch/rack setup for $250-ish. I had a hookup so I got a bit of a deal on a hitch rack which made it worth it.

:dance1: Thanks Squiggy, I actually got one today for my birthday! Please close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back