2014 EX-L sound system - pretty sweet

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Welcome....... I'm a over 50 Coupe lover too..... And my stereo sounds good as is.

Dherrmann

Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe
Rallye Red. Took a LOT of work to get! It rides SO much better than the '08 I traded (I was the original owner of the '08)

Only issue remaining is that I can't get e-mail/SMS to work. I have a call into Honda customer support to help. The Honda isn't giving me the option to select any valid accounts off my iPhone.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Rallye Red. Took a LOT of work to get! It rides SO much better than the '08 I traded (I was the original owner of the '08)

Only issue remaining is that I can't get e-mail/SMS to work. I have a call into Honda customer support to help. The Honda isn't giving me the option to select any valid accounts off my iPhone.

How old is your cell phone, I had that problem, and had to upgrade my cell........

Hillstones

Valencia, CA
Vehicle Model
Maxima Platinum
Body Style
Sedan
The new CarPlay feature in the '14 Civic with DisplayAudio requires iOS 7.1, an iPhone 5, 5C, or 5S, and the Apple HDMI adapter. iOS 7.1 just came out a few days ago, so make sure you updated your iPhone and buy the HDMI adapter so the CarPlay feature can work properly. If you are trying to do the text messaging through the standard Bluetooth option, you have to go into Bluetooth settings on the iPhone after the phone is paired, then tap on the "i" for the HandsFreeLink connection and turn on Show Notifications. That will allow texts to appear on the stereo through Bluetooth. Unless they have updated the software in the DisplayAudio stereo, you won't be able to send the generic text messages with the iPhone and the Honda stereo. The iPhone doesn't support it. You can view them and the stereo will read them, but you will have to use Siri to respond. That should not be an issue using the CarPlay feature instead of Bluetooth since CarPlay displays the Messaging app to the DisplayAudio system and allows you to view and respond to messages via voice.

Hillstones

Valencia, CA
Vehicle Model
Maxima Platinum
Body Style
Sedan
Do you have the Apple HDMI video adapter cable to connect to the Civic for the CarPlay feature? Your Civic should have an HDMI and USB port below the stereo next to the 12v DC and Aux port. Using CarPlay, the Messaging app should work without any issues.

cacreman

I just got my steel metallic 2014 ex sedan last Friday (upgrade from my blue 2009 sport sedan). Loving everything about this car so far. I know you guys are talking about the ex-l but I wanted to weigh in in the Carplay piece. To my knowledge that feature isn't available yet for the civic. I have all the gear and appropriate updates and nothing happening yet. If anyone has actually used it, please post your experience.

Cheers
Chris

Dherrmann

Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe
Right on CarPlay. Honda (via Twitter) said they'll have an announcement "soon"

Exact Twitter message to me: "Announcements re: our vehicles and CarPlay will be made soon. Please stay tuned! ^RR"

Last edited:
Right on CarPlay. Honda (via Twitter) said they'll have an announcement "soon"

Exact Twitter message to me: "Announcements re: our vehicles and CarPlay will be made soon. Please stay tuned! ^RR"
I have 2014 Civic Coupe EX with HondaLink and love the bluetooth functions (phone, music, messages, etc) but look forward to the CarPlay integration with my iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1 because I will be able to access those functions, plus navigation via my iPhone. I saw the CarPlay announcement at the Geneva Auto Show via YouTube videos, so I called Honda America Customer Service and they said CarPlay has been released on Apple side, but we will see something "soon" on the Honda side. They said to check HondaLink for an announcement. HURRY please. HondaLink is segmented and awkward, not integrated.

Nope, no cable yet. I negotiated its $100 price into my deal, but it's so new that the dealer had to order it.
I bought the display adapter, hdmi/USP to lightning. I got the display adapter at Apple $49, already had the usb/lightning cable, used an HDMI cable I had, badda bing. I am not impressed with HondaLink, am anxious for CarPlay because I will only need the usb/lightning cable. HondaLink may have its purpose, but I haven't found it yet. Also all the cables are messy, would like something cleaner, like only having to use the phone cable. I will be very happy "soon" when CarPlay integration is completed by Honda.

SinSD

Vehicle Model
Civic EX-L w Nav
Body Style
Sedan
CarPlay --

When I bought my 2014 EX-L w/ navi I had no knowledge of CarPlay. This was about two weeks ago. I have since just fell upon the news, which has me wholly excited. On Apple's site, CarPlay features the Civic in the advertisement, along with the current (14) screen.

So, are we assuming there will be a software update!? And soon?

Hillstones

Valencia, CA
Vehicle Model
Maxima Platinum
Body Style
Sedan
I bought the display adapter, hdmi/USP to lightning. I got the display adapter at Apple $49, already had the usb/lightning cable, used an HDMI cable I had, badda bing. I am not impressed with HondaLink, am anxious for CarPlay because I will only need the usb/lightning cable. HondaLink may have its purpose, but I haven't found it yet. Also all the cables are messy, would like something cleaner, like only having to use the phone cable. I will be very happy "soon" when CarPlay integration is completed by Honda.
The USB port is for iPods and iPhones for playing music. You don't see that as a useful purpose? If you only want to use your phone for phone calls, you can ditch the cables and use Bluetooth. HondaLink does exactly what it is supposed to do, utilize Bluetooth for hands-free calling. CarPlay will require the Digital AV cable, which is USB and HDMI. That is why the front lower pocket has the USB and HDMI ports next to each other.