accord areo wheels on a civic!

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
I heard these accord areo wheels are light and come with a cover that slips through the wind better and also cools the brakes better. Any idea's on some different wheels for a Honda 2013 SI? I like the Koing ultra grams at $184 each with free flowing TECHNOLOGY at around 18 pds, but now wonder if they would do well in the wind. Also used wheels have a lot lower prices, I even saw a set of bronze 2020 taken off a Brand new honda civic.

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
no not those, some rims were weighing in at 14 pds then add a areo cover. I have to look more into this because honda wheels are high quality and priced extremely well used or slightly used. I need another set of wheels so I won't have to switch from AS to summer tires on the stock wheels. I anticipate saving some money for the wheels this summer. So far the koing ultra grams are my favorite at $184 each, the RFP1 are just too expensive and I don't think they would hold up on the bad roads I have here.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
what wheel and size are you talking about? pics/link to what it is? I've never heard of an oem accord wheel weighing 14lbs. I have serious doubts unless you're talking about something stupid like a 13 or 14" wheel.

the bbs s2000 wheels from japan are close to that weight, but they're 16".

Honda S2000 US Cast 16x6.5 17.5lbs
Honda S2000 US Cast 16x7.5 18.6lbs
Honda S2000 JDM (BBS) Forged 16x6.5 13.3lbs
Honda S2000 JDM (BBS) Forged 16x7.5 14.3lbs

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
17 inch wheels is my favorite, . It really looks like the only rim that comes within my specs for strength and weight is the Koing ultragrams at 18.23 for a 17 x 8 wheel. I don't think they come in any other size in 17. The ultra's are very close to a forged wheel in strength, who wants to buy some light rims only to have them bend? I am running just cast Koing's in two cars and they have never failed in very rough roads, the ultra grams are much stronger. I keep looking you never know what's:popcorn: out there till you explore. I am always interested in wheels and tires as that's the key to everything. :dancing:

Honda-Fan

Dallas, Texas
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Coupe
what wheel and size are you talking about? pics/link to what it is? I've never heard of an oem accord wheel weighing 14lbs. I have serious doubts unless you're talking about something stupid like a 13 or 14" wheel.

the bbs s2000 wheels from japan are close to that weight, but they're 16".

Honda S2000 US Cast 16x6.5 17.5lbs
Honda S2000 US Cast 16x7.5 18.6lbs
Honda S2000 JDM (BBS) Forged 16x6.5 13.3lbs
Honda S2000 JDM (BBS) Forged 16x7.5 14.3lbs

:1: My BBS are about 11-12 pds-- I imagine the 16" version of mine are about 13-14 pds.

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
back to the drawing board, perhaps 17inch rims can't be strong and light at the same time? Balance of the two is the answer, but then add wind and you got one rare 17" rim.

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Need to put a price limit here of $200 per rim on a 17 inch rim by 7 to 8 wide, that can take bad roads, and is less than 20pds. This is not a easy task at all. The only one that passed this test is Koing ultra grams at $184 a rim at discount tire direct- a outstanding vendor for tires and rims. I have found none to match discount tire over all on prices and warrantee's. Excellent used rims under $200 also go on list. $1,000-250 rims just too much.:popcorn: So far only one rim has met these specs.:chopwood:trying to get a stronger rim then cast alu.. The wheel could be perhaps the most important part on anything,

Last edited:

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
This 5 spoke design is flawed and only for looks, I am sure its a good wheel but not for me. ts-v is stronger and just as light. I have seen 5 spoke wheels break because of just having 5 spokes. 1o spokes are stronger and lighter. My daylights Koing 17pd cast wheels have 12 spokes and I run 8 of them and they have never failed over some extremely rough roads. The Egyptians 10,000 yrs ago figured this out and used like 22 spoke wheels or more to go over rough roads. just imagine the Egyptians knew how to make better wheels over 2000 years ago using a lot of spikes so the 5 spoke wheel is a no no, you want at least 10 , 12 is better. Ts-v is a much better choice has 10 spokes.

Last edited:

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
WE should also compare the MAT vs free flowing tech which is better I will take a look at that, but my guess Free flowing is better because its almost as strong as a forged wheel. I will call both companies to explain more. I do like how one uses a testing method and the other one does not list one-they actually may have a testing method just not listed. The koing ultra grams use 12 spokes which is perfect. Egyptians thought more spokes are better and if one broke there were like 21 spokes left to still work. Perhaps wheels should have 22 spokes but maybe a bit weak from people kicking the wheels in car s.

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Koing hyper grams in 17 x 8 are 16.77 pounds and fit a Honda civic si , they are free flowing wheels. 23.5 stock vs 16.77= 6.73 pds lighter than stock or 26.92 pounds lighter for the full set. Now these rims are also a inch wider. 12 spoke wheel design, kind of like a very fancy daylight koing cast wheel 17 pounds that I have been running on my neon's but much stronger rims. So that like taking off 269 pds off because of the wheels are spinning. They also are around 800$ shipped, but the tnps stuff is expensive and add wheel kit $45.

freggie

Have you thought about going with a wider and taller tire? Taller tire to help absorb some impacts and wider to help with potholes (kinda like a rim protector). I usually go wider and taller, mainly because I like the looks and on wifeys car she does not get curb rash because the tire sticks out past the rim so the tire hits the curb not the rim.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 11.10.57 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 11.10.57 AM.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 5

Honda-Fan

Dallas, Texas
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Coupe
Have you thought about going with a wider and taller tire? Taller tire to help absorb some impacts and wider to help with potholes (kinda like a rim protector). I usually go wider and taller, mainly because I like the looks and on wifeys car she does not get curb rash because the tire sticks out past the rim so the tire hits the curb not the rim.

100% facts :1:

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
:domokundance::sadbanana:I will really miss the SRT-4:sadbanana::scratches:

Last edited:

sunofwolf

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Ya, my old srt-4 is still alive and the Guardsman is going to have fun with my old Munster. You have to like the national guardsman. :chopwood::bananawhipdance:

Last edited: