DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

ADExternal

Lvl: 99 Modifier
Houston, Tx
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Coupe
I havent perfected the mod or will be in the near future since I found an issue keeping it on rear signal. Everytime you use amperage on your battery when accelerating it gets a bit dim and static. To have it alone is fairly easy but to coincide with the reverse is a bit harder.

r18-power

FL
Vehicle Model
Focus ST
Body Style
Hatchback
This porbably has already been asked... Has anyone tried this on an Si yet? I really want to do this diy but I want to confirm if I have to plug everything in the I-MID the same way...

Modifier
Chicago
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
This porbably has already been asked... Has anyone tried this on an Si yet? I really want to do this diy but I want to confirm if I have to plug everything in the I-MID the same way...
I have an Si, works great.
The only thing that is unconfirmed is if it works with navi

r18-power

FL
Vehicle Model
Focus ST
Body Style
Hatchback
Ok cool thanks! Btw what size leds do you think those are? 194?

ADExternal

Lvl: 99 Modifier
Houston, Tx
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Coupe
Ok cool thanks! Btw what size leds do you think those are? 194?

They dont have a size, in the DIY, I instruct to connects 194/168 end to the camera LED since they come in as just wires. Luckily I have one raw on me I just ordered to show you. Give me a moment and ill take and upload a pic for you to see.

Are you sure that camera will bet okay? Will it be okay to be modified so it clears?

Yea, I ordered this one as well and received it three weeks ago. Im suppose to do it for someone before thanks giving but I tested it on my car.

r18-power

FL
Vehicle Model
Focus ST
Body Style
Hatchback
I see, so the leds are basically integrated into the camara? If so, what happens if one of them goes bad?

r18-power

FL
Vehicle Model
Focus ST
Body Style
Hatchback
Thanks for the info! One last question.. Do I have to modify that type of camara too? It looks a lil different from the one you did, so I was wondering if its going to clear..

AlienPrime

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si HFP
Body Style
2 door Coupe

CNG Injun

I am thinking about doing this with a BOYO VTL375HD HD Rear View Camera (http://www.amazon.com/BOYO-VTL375HD-Rear-View-Camera/dp/B0051XB2NK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396295372&sr=8-1&keywords=boyo camera)

Will I still need to order the leds for the camera ? I dont see it mentions it has some kind of night vision.

Regards

I also used the BOYO VTL375HD on my Civic. I've actually installed 2 of them on 2012 CNG Civics, both work great. The frame comes with a camera in the middle of 2 built-in LED lights. The lights can be turned on/off with the wired remote, but honestly they don't make much difference most of the time. The OEM reverse lights are usually bright enough by themselves.

See my post on page 10 of this thread for a easy way to tie in the +12VDC to the camera under the dash instead of at the reverse light in the trunk (much easier for the BOYO cabling situation).

I like the BOYO, it has worked great for about 6 months now without any problems. Metal frame makes for a super secure "anti-tamper" mount when you install the frame with all four bolts with the nuts on the inside. Required some extra holes from back side of the deck lid to access the nuts, but no big deal. I figured if I was going to go through the trouble of taking the dash apart and hacking into the iMid, I'd at least buy a higher quality camera. Hard to say if it is actually that much better, but it did have quite a few positive reviews from the research I did (on-line and local install shops).

I mounted the BOYO wired remote in the top of the little recessed cup on the left side of the steering wheel, so it is out of sight but can be manipulated as needed.

I also turned off the guide lines built-in to the camera and used the ones built-in the iMid display. Set the lines up by parking in a vacant parking lot and adjusting them to run parallel with the parking stall stripes. Hope that helps.
IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0035.jpg

fidodido

Woaaa!, CNG Injun, thanks a lot for your help. Mine doesn't come with the leds and I dont think I will be using the remote at all.

I will try to do this and let you guys know how well it went.

Thanks again!