Advice on tires??

RHelton10

Atlanta, GA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
Hey guys I need to buy new tires for my Si sedan and I would appreciate your feedback. I drive about 95% of the time on the interstate in Georgia and rarely deal with any ice or snow. I only got around 35k miles on the original set of Michelins and would rather get something with a longer tread life as long as it's still quiet at 80mph and has decent handling.

I went to Kauffman tires and got quotes on these 3 sets:

Goodyear Sport A/S w/ 50k mile warranty

Cooper Zeon R53-A w/ 40k mile warranty

Michelin Premier A/S w/ 60k mile

Any others that you would suggest I take a look at?

Thanks!

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Do you want a good performance tire or an all around tire? Is mileage most important? It'll help narrow it down a bit.

Ken recommended you a good tire with the Pilot Sport. I'd also recommend looking into the new Michelin Pilot Sport A3 tires. I did get pretty long life out of my Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, now replaced by the 102, but other than that it's not a tire I liked.

My wifes Falken 912's ride pretty nice and they are a low 40 series sidewall even.

That said, I frickin love my new Bridgestone RE-11A tires, but I seriously expect like 10k out of them before they are dead.

People really like the Continental DW and DWS tires. I bet the Michelin Premier will be a good tire for mileage but you won't get the same handling you might with other tires. Just depends on what you need or want out of a tire.

RHelton10

Atlanta, GA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
Do you want a good performance tire or an all around tire? Is mileage most important? It'll help narrow it down a bit.

Ken recommended you a good tire with the Pilot Sport. I'd also recommend looking into the new Michelin Pilot Sport A3 tires. I did get pretty long life out of my Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, now replaced by the 102, but other than that it's not a tire I liked.

My wifes Falken 912's ride pretty nice and they are a low 40 series sidewall even.

That said, I frickin love my new Bridgestone RE-11A tires, but I seriously expect like 10k out of them before they are dead.

People really like the Continental DW and DWS tires. I bet the Michelin Premier will be a good tire for mileage but you won't get the same handling you might with other tires. Just depends on what you need or want out of a tire.

Mileage above all else but low noise and semi-decent performance closely behind it. I bought the Si to be a commuter car that is still fun to drive, but I spend most of my time running 70-80mph on the interstates so I don't need a tire to cut through the corners while only giving me a life of 25k miles.

Hope that makes sense

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
For a new UHP and only UHP tire available in Cooper Tire's line-up, the RS3-S is pretty good. I really like mine and it performs surprisingly well in the rain. The dry traction is very good. Reviews did say that this tire is better than the BF Goodrich Sport Comp II.

Here's a pic of my 225/45/17 RS3-S on stock 07 Si wheels.

Rudy@tirerack

Vendor
Take a look at both Conti Extreme DWS and Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2. Both of these are highly rated and give a good compromise of wear versus handling. They have 50k mile warranties but still handle well and have good traction. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 as mentioned above are also good options.

Reactions: Nix

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
The DWS suffers from a spongy sidewall. You try to push a corner and you feel the sidewall give. In a straight line they are quite nice. Just don't push them in the bends.

Rudy@tirerack

Vendor
The DWS suffers from a spongy sidewall. You try to push a corner and you feel the sidewall give. In a straight line they are quite nice. Just don't push them in the bends.

The OP is not interested in the highest levels of handling. He/She is considering a touring tire (Michelin Premier AS) which would have even less handling response. Thus my recommendation for this tire. You are correct in what you say the Conti is a little softer sidewall but this also gives it a better ride comfort.

partsnerd

NH dirt
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I've been a fan of Falken PT-722 for a good fun tire at a decent price. I'm lowered running -1 fr and -2.5 rr camber and got 30k with a good rotation schedule. Just my 2 cents :dog:

JakeDBP

Erie, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si FB6
Body Style
Sedan
I'd also recommend the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus. I love mine- the car is much quieter on the highway and I feel the ride is very good compared to the stock continentals mine came with.