Clearing Drum Brakes on LX

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
I'm looking to get some 2005 Acura TL rims for my 13 LX sedan. I've got drum brakes in the back and just wanna make sure that there won't be any issues with swapping the TL rims on. I've checked the OEM wheel fitment reference chart and it says these wheels are a direct bolt on without issues, but I'm assuming thats for the Si mostly...

No problems swapping these on to my LX?

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Oh, another question. Will I have to change anything else on the car when going from 15" to 17" wheels, to make sure the speedo and mileage remain correct?

Im new to messing with wheels :(

Dennis Rockholt

9k Alll Day
Franklin, TN
Vehicle Model
370Z Fairlady aka "Nismo"
Body Style
Coupe
@Nix might be able to help, but from what I have read your spedometer etc. should not be impacted too much? And you should do a google search to see if anyone else with an LX has had these wheels on. I didnt know the LX civics came with just 15's I thought they were at least 16's

07TLX

Somewhere in SEPA
Vehicle Model
Pontiac
Body Style
G8 GT
The only fitment issue I have seen is trying to run the stock TL tires, it will rub a bit, so I found running a 225/45/17 prevents this, as for speedo, I went from 16's to 17's so my speedo might be off by like 1 mph...

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
195/65R15 is the stock 2013 LX tire size. You should have no issues bumping up to a 17" wheel. The perfect wheel size is exactly what 07TLX said.

If you go with a 225/45/17 your speedometer and odometer will be exactly the same with that tire size.

A 215/50/17 is also a close fit but is about 2% taller so when your speedo says 60 you will be going 61.5mph, so not much difference at all. You could get away with either of those two tires sizes. You should have no issues clearing the drum brake as it is smaller than the rotor/caliper setup with a rear disc.

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
I have 17" X 7" Acura CSX rims. The speedo is slightly off (shows a touch faster than actual speed). It depends on the tire size.
I posted a good chart a loooog while ago. Let me see if I can find it.

Last edited:

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I think the 8th gens all came with 16's too. I'd definitely keep the 15's for winter wheels though. Tires have to be pretty cheap for them!

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
I think the 8th gens all came with 16's too. I'd definitely keep the 15's for winter wheels though. Tires have to be pretty cheap for them!
Ive got my winter tires on another spare set of 15inch steelies yea. It's the cheapest way to get top of the line winter tires.

Sold my stock 15s and hubcaps for 180$, bought the new TL rims for 140$ yeeeeeaaaa!!

07TLX

Somewhere in SEPA
Vehicle Model
Pontiac
Body Style
G8 GT
Quick question what are some problems that could affect my car if I buy wider rims?
I have a 2012 civic si

Rubbing of the fender on the rear
Rubbing and destruction of the inner fender liners in the front
Ruining tires and wheels
Going camber/stancebro douchery