Custom exhaust

twister8008

Omaha, NE, but I am a Wisconsinite
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Hey everyone. I see a lot of people go for built exhausts by major companies. What about having a shop fabricate an exhaust or muffler? Drawbacks? They claim they can build one that will perfectly fit my car. I have seen a lot of fitment issues posted here fun Invidia. Thanks!

Bulkybear

Most shops use cheaper metals than stainless steel and crush bend the pipes rather than mandrel bending. This will cause more flow issues and it will corrode over time. I'd imagine the gains wouldnt be as good either. I haven't heard odd any fitment issues with the premade systems.

Chuckable

It probably depends a lot on the shop doing the work, and the skill of the fabricator. I've had both, and almost every time the fitment and quality is better with a good brand than with a local muffler shop. If you can find a legitimate race shop with good fab skills, then you might be better off. But then again, a good fabricator is probably going to charge you what it would cost for a pre-made system anyway.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I'd bet that a custom system could beat any off the shelf bits but again cost vs. ease of ordreing and bolting it up. A true high performance shop could easily turn out a one off exhaust to beat anything on the market but at the same time, if you have the time and $$, you probably aren't looking at a $270 Tsudo catback. That said, the guy working his *** off in retail for minimum wage is well served by the budget off the shelf system. Just depends on your goals, budget, and needs.

I think the OTS systems are generally very well done at this point. I don't think you would go wrong. Plus there seems to be an option for everyone in terms of price and features.

twister8008

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Well, I visited the shop and talked with the guy. Good materials and good persona. I decided to cash in on the inexpensive price and sizable military discount. I was originally going to go with a 3 inch design, but he recommended a 2.5 instead. He told me he wouldn't go any bigger than 2.5 if it was his car. He said the power would not change much. I also told him I wanted a quieter sound. Does this sound on par?

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
You're looking for quieter than the stock SI exhaust?

I would not put a 2.5" exhaust on the si. Was it 2.5" outer diameter piping or inner diameter piping at 2.5"? Go at least 2.75" if you're looking at a full exhaust. The muffler / silencers used will dictate a lot of the sound. Any idea of what he's going to use?

Bulkybear

3 inch exhausts have been proven to give more gains than 2.75 even. So certainly more than 2.5. The Si loves to breath. In and out. 3 inch is the sweet spot for our cars. Honestly if your trying to make it quieter or using 2.5 inch piping you may as well just leave it stock imo.

twister8008

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Yeah Bulkybear. That and the torque solution hangers. My other plan is to mate a different downpipe to the factory exhaust. I love the look of the burnt tip on the n1, but I am not looking for the attention that sound brings

status3000

MIAMI
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
SEDAN
why dont u just get rid of the rear resonator it should give u more of the sound u looking for

Bulkybear

Or keep the resonator and get rid of the muffler like I did. Sounds good and not that loud.

status3000

MIAMI
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
SEDAN
what muffler did u put on ?i was thinking to just get rid of the resonator and keep the stock exhuast to keep the stock appearance of the car and not have the police on my ***

Bulkybear

I replaced the muffler with straight pipe and a tip. Cops dont bother me. Its not that loud but louder than stock and sounds good.

alirules2010

Tsudo test pipe installed yesterday in my 2012 si :0)