Do coils wear while just sitting?

Scuderi

Maryland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I'm looking into finally pulling the trigger on coilovers. However, I leave for school soon and was wondering if the coils' shocks will endure some wear by just sitting and not driving. Am I better off just waiting until I will be driving my car more routinely again? Thanks guys!

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
There are degrees of wear least amount to most.... In the box not mounted; mounted not moving; and moving.
How much is relative to road surface and driving demand.

Four years of sitting, I'd wait.... because, why not.....

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Your tires will most likely suffer the most. They have a tendency to flat spot if they sit still for too long. There are plastic tire saver things you can get though. How long is the car going to be sitting? If someone can start it once a month and roll it up and down the driveway a bit and not park it in exactly the same spot on the driveway you should be good.

http://www.tirecradle.com/TireCradles.html

Scuderi

Maryland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Wow $350 lol. My school is about an hour and a half away (just too far to commute sadly). With that being said, at this time, I'm not sure how often I will be home but I might be home as often as once a month; I'd say once every 2 months max. Should I be fine then if I drive it when I'm home? It will be garage kept if that matters. Any more storage tips? Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: Nix

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Wow $350 lol. My school is about an hour and a half away (just too far to commute sadly). With that being said, at this time, I'm not sure how often I will be home but I might be home as often as once a month; I'd say once every 2 months max. Should I be fine then if I drive it when I'm home? It will be garage kept if that matters. Any more storage tips? Thanks for the replies!
If you're going to be driving every month or two, I'd do as suggested park on wood, add a couple of pounds of air, and buy a battery charger(a smart one that will keep the charge with out overcharging, plug in and walk away).

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
What does parking on wood do?

Like @13blacksedan said in your oil change thread...... It does the same(pretty much) as the $300 tyre savers that @Nix mentioned.
Basically by parking on a softer surface the tyre won't be flattened as much. Just be sure the wood is wide enough to be wider than the tyres foot print, and balsa wood is about the softest.

Reactions: Nix

13blacksedan

Like they all said, the charger should cycle, not a regular trickle or quick charge, u really should start it once a month too, and even move it if possible. I bought a cycle charger a few years ago for $50, they are great if u have a vehicle you don't drive all the time. If not u can take the battery out and store it inside and occasionally charge it.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Yea, I think once or twice a month wouldn't be too bad. The jack stand option is also a great way to go. Monk has a great suggestion with the balsa wood too. Personally I would do the jackstands.

When you do take it out, let it warm up well and make sure you drive it around for a while. Do some highway miles and make sure it gets up to full temp and states there for a bit. Change the oil once a year if you aren't hitting enough miles to need to do it. Thats about all I can think of.

Baddog671

MD
Vehicle Model
All Stock '15 Si
Body Style
Sedan
What part of MD are you in? I live in Allegany Co.
Joined the site today, just lurking so far.

Scuderi

Maryland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
No way!!!!! @ac3jason finally someone near me!!! I see a decent amount of 9th gen Si's around but never anyone on here.. What meets do you go to?

Scuderi

Maryland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I feel you! Been wanting to go to meets but most are in eastern MD around Baltimore... Never been before but I'm going to a meet this Sunday @ Sonic in Frederick. It's at 3 and is every other Sunday. If you're not busy and don't mind the drive you should check it out! Here's the facebook group if you're interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrregularImports/

Scuderi

Maryland
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Awesome, see you then! I'll be in the 14 si coupe black. Name's Mike!