Gas Prices - what are they where you live now

Peter Salerno

NJ
Jeeze things are getting bad in Cali. Feel bad for you guys.. Anyone riding bikes or switching to other means of transport?

mikey6p

Members Only
Lakewood, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sidan
crazy read
Right? I was listening to the radio on the way home, and they were saying to expect $6 gas by next week. The stations can't raise the prices fast enough relative to the hike in wholesale prices. Most are losing money on their gas at the moment.

Eddie Blanco

Right? I was listening to the radio on the way home, and they were saying to expect $6 gas by next week. The stations can't raise the prices fast enough relative to the hike in wholesale prices. Most are losing money on their gas at the moment.
Seriously Mikey?!? I may have to go fill a couple gas cans... Apparently some stations have shut down.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
one argument... say they are paying $4.75/gallon to fill their storage tanks. They can sell the gas for above the $4.75 all day long and make a profit. They also don't need to sell it at a loss. If that's what it's costing to get the product wholesale....every station should be charging relatively the same price. They don't need to take it to $6 a gallon, or whatever figure until the next time they fill their tanks. If it's 10/gallon wholesale next time they fill their tanks, then the price at the pump is over 10/gallon. I don't get why some stations are saying they're taking a loss on gas. Gas prices change pretty much every freaking day, yet the operator of the station paid one set price to get it all in the storage tanks. They can move the price up and down as wholesale prices change. California isn't going to stop driving because gas hits $6 a gallon, or whatever price you want to name. They'll stop driving when they can't get gas at a station. People have to be able to get to work.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Adding to webby .... From what I gather it's the station that want's to charge for what they have at a higher price than they paid, so they'll have enough to pay a higher price if it's going up for the next load. As webby says it's not really right, but they don't want to be caught on the down side.........

Unfortunately......... It's that kind of thinking that creates all kinds of shortages, like buying extra cans of fuel in case they run out..... That starts the panic and shortage.......... We could control it.............Good luck with that.

I remember when this started in the 70's ..... Same thing, and we get stuck with higher than what was before it started...but long term.

About 40 years ago there was a shortage on meat (for some reason) and everyone ran out and bought deep freezers to store meat, so when the meat strarted coming back, ppl strarted over buying their share and the prices went though the sky...........

It's what we do.......... but that's just dreaming to get everyone to actually do it............ Just an FYI:banghead:

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
seems some hit that and more today.

A station in Long Beach south of Los Angeles had California's priciest gas at $6.65 for a gallon of regular
full article on cali gas -
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-10-07/calif-dot-gas-prices-hit-all-time-high

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
$3.43 reg SW VA.(Shell)

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
cali should start seeing some relief now -

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has responded to a request from Governor Jerry Brown to allow slightly dirtier gasoline to be sold about three weeks before the state usually switches to the so-called "winter blend" of gas. Brown made the request to bring the gas cost down from record highs.

The most populous US state, which uses gas that's better for the environment in the summer because it evaporates more slowly, usually switches to faster evaporating fuel – the winder blend – on October 31. The cleaner gas is required in the summer because of harsher ozone conditions. Brown made the request after prices topped $4.65 a gallon, on average, this past weekend, about 84 cents per gallon more than the national rate. In some places, a gallon was much, much higher: $5.89 around Big Sur.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
SW Vir. 87 reg. (Shell) $3.46