Honda Plans on Making a Compact RWD Roadster.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
It would be similar in size as the S600 or the S800. It will be around 2000lbs with a possible 132hp Honda Fit engine.

I think it will be a fun car to drive. I'd track it. Lol.

And here's a size comparison between the S2000 and the S400.

"With a long-standing tradition of building compact, open-top sports cars that started with the S600 and recently ended with the S2000, Honda seems intent to get back into the game. After seeing the success Toyota/Subaru has had with the 86 (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ), Honda is primed to one-up its rivals. According to a source within Honda, a new affordable sports car is being seriously considered, but don’t expect something as high-end as the S2000…think small, quick and light. Here’s what we learned:

Many Honda engineers and executives believe that they were beat to the punch when Toyota/Subaru introduced its affordable rear-drive sports offering. And now that they know the market is hungry again for exciting affordable sports cars, a new “S1500” is on the drawing board within the walls of the company’s Tokyo headquarters. The car would be small, probably even smaller than the Mazda MX-5, and come equipped with either a 1.3-liter or 1.5-liter inline-4 with i-VTEC. If the latter, it could well be the current engine under the Fit’s hood that can produce up to 132 hp. The car would be very light, about 900 kg or right at about 2000 lb., making it very quick and agile. It would of course be rear-drive, and come with a 5-speed manual gearbox. Our source says he would like to see the car priced around $20,000. There’s even talk that the “S1500” may come with a mid-engine layout, a la the Honda Beat.

As for the car’s design direction, we hear that Honda would either use the Japan-only N-ONE as the base (as pictured here) or make it look more like the current Civic. We like the N-ONE styling because it pays homage to the S600. Either way, look for Honda to come up with this answer to the Toyota 86 and the Mazda MX-5 in 2015 or 2016."

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
People complain that the s2k is cramped as a daily driver. People complain on the miata being too small. They want to go smaller than that? I do not see that going well, and the next complaint is the 132hp. People are not going to like that if they complain on the 200hp brz.....even if it is significantly lighter.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
People always have something to complain about. Guys on the 8th site already jumped into conclusion about the hp it is supposed to make. They don't realize how stupid it is putting a 200-240+ hp engine on a 2000hp road car. The fun factor would completely disappear. The S600 made only 57hp. And besides, a 140hp 2800lbs Civic wont be as fun as a 132hp 2000lbs-2100lbs S-roadster.

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Make it the size of the BRZ/FR-S, which is just a tad bigger than the Miata. Put a 200-250 hp motor in it and a stiff suspension.

Or a 150 hp motor in a 2000 lb car. That should be fun. Tiny, but fun.

tmkpres

Los Angeles
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
wont be long, if they do produce that, before it has a K-Series in it lol. It's a good looking little car. I can't see myself driving one though. My S was a pain to get in and out of lol

A Tuxedo Cat

Massachusetts
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe FG4
I just pray that whatever Honda's brilliant engineers come up with, they sell it in North America! I don't mean some toned down slug version, I want the bad boy.

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
I would seriously consider one, given the weight it is the equivalent of the current Si power to weight wise. roughly 3000 pounds for 200 hp is 133 for a 2000 pound car. I wish it would have a six speed instead of five. And being Honda I bet it can be supercharged or turoboed for more performance easily if power is what one is hungry for.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
I would seriously consider one, given the weight it is the equivalent of the current Si power to weight wise. roughly 3000 pounds for 200 hp is 133 for a 2000 pound car. I wish it would have a six speed instead of five. And being Honda I bet it can be supercharged or turoboed for more performance easily if power is what one is hungry for.
Aftermarket companies will definitely make these zippy track cars.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
So Honda wants to make a lotus Elise S1, got it. Funny, so much for new technology
Now it's funny that you mentioned it. There's a rumor about Honda making a CRZ that will compete against the FR-S/BR-Z. Because the Si is not in the same class....Lol.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Forgot to mention I am sold on the looks as well :)
I like the look too. Some don't like it, but I like lines on the body. It's a very retro/classic look with a mix of a futuristic design on the front and rear end.

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
Now it's funny that you mentioned it. There's a rumor about Honda making a CRZ that will compete against the FR-S/BR-Z. Because the Si is not in the same class....Lol.

If the CRZ had a "real" engine in it, I probably would have bought one over my Si.