If you have D2 Coilovers...

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Ok so I finally got around to installing my 2012 civic D2 coilovers the other day, and ran into some issues.

First, I would like to know, and inform, for the people running the D2 suspension on their 9th, there is about a 2.5 inch cut out on the tophat that was designed to fit around two welded nuts with bolts through them securing the heat shield; did you notice this?

Here's the issue, that does not line up correctly at all! Before I knew what that was designed for I installed the suspension with the upper camber adjustment facing me to where i can push it backwards and forwards like its suppose to and noticed when i began to tighten down the tophats there was a gap from the tophat to the upper metal frame of the car...that is when I looked under and noticed those two welded nuts. the onle way to even come close to having that notch on the tophats match on the nuts was not allowing the 3 bolts to line up in the holes at the top. And when you installed the suspension the camber adjustment was going diaginal...wtf?!

For the front suspension to actually fit correctly, I had to drill, and dremmel my own notches to fit around those welded nuts. IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT, But it does fit correctly now.

Secondly, I noticed that the circumference of the rear springs are gigantic compared to the stock, so it moves around so much in the back that you can hear the noise. Its almost like you have to use the 8thgen isolaters for them to fit up top.

I spoke with a guy at D2 earlier this afternoon and asked of this issue, and tried to inform him that the cut out for those bolts were not in the correct spot.. I could not get a straight answer from him but was courteous enough to tell me, "this is the first we've heard of this, let us call you back shortly," and hung up....ummm yeah nice job of taking down my info and call back number! I called two more times after this and recieved no pick up?!?!

I dont know if I was just sent a faulty or incorrect suspension, but I'm very displeased with the product! If the suspension I ordered is in fact for the 2012 civic, then everyone else who is running it on their car probably has it installed with that gap and/or same issue as I ran into.

I know this is a long post, but I wouldnt want other people runing the suspension with it not installed correctly which could be unsafe. I will post pictures here shortly of what I am talking about and let me know if any of you had this same issue and if your suspension is the same as mine.
Did you do anything different to make your suspension work, modifications on it, did you buy any extra parts to make it fit? Anything, please let me know.

9thgizzyguy

Vehicle Model
Civic si RR
Body Style
Coupe
keep on top of dat bro keep callin bak cause from wat it sounds to me they might have sent u the wrong set cause if they we're for the 2012 then it should have just dropped in wit no issues :think:...

it lokks like som1 at dat end messed up and now dont wanna admit or avoiding u bro :rantsmiley: keep on top of it !

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Well I ordered it from WSCP...I'm not mad at them at all, but if D2 is shipping out those sets to these other companies then there is a chance that they might be the incorrect ones. I'll keep you all updated..Im bout to get under my car in a few so there will be pics

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan

So here you can see where I had to cut into the top hat to fit around those welded nuts...you can see where the original cut was from D2...

Here is how it looks at the top...the camber adjustment as adjacent to the side of the car and not diaginal. D2 had the right idea but i think just in the wrong place....

wesellcarparts

PA
did you have to do that to both sides? looks like you have the right coil on left side and left coil on right side if both had to be dremeled.

Thanks.

Dan

wesellcarparts

PA
Justin,

Do you know who you talked to at D2? can you email me when you get a chance. both myself and D2 want to make sure everything is straight with this. I wasn't even aware of this until you hit the forums...

Thanks.

Dan

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Dan, I did not get a name at D2...sorry. When we were installing the suspension, I tried both of them in the same spot to see if there was a "right" and "left" but the top hats are the exact same. the only way to tell teh elft from right is the bottom piece where the brake line and other wires hook up to. but we too the purple plates off the top hat before drilling and placed them up under the car to doubule check and also to see where we needed to drill. the passenger side was cut out to but on the opposite side.

the issue with them was the camber adjustment. On my previous coilovers I was able to adjust the camber in and out from the top hat going adjacent to the sides of the car (parrallel to the front bumper) and when we installed the D2s, the cuts in them did not match up. when we got the cut in them close to where it looks like it should be, then the camber adjustments were at a diagonal angle for both sides.

wesellcarparts

PA
Message from D2 Racing:

We are registered on this forum but are having an issue receiving the confirmation email so that we can post. It appears that the left side is installed on the right and vise versa. We have test fit these coilovers in house with no issues and I’m sure as you can see plenty of other members on this forum have installed them with no issues.

I have spoken with our techs in both offices and neither remember talking to you. Generally our policy would be to request that you email us pictures of the issue. If you are confident that you called us directly please send me the phone # you called from so that I can trace when your call came in.

If you need any further assistance please feel free to email our support info@d2racing.com or if you need to reach me directly michael@d2racing.com

-Michael
D2 Racing NA
General Manager

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Message from D2 Racing:

We are registered on this forum but are having an issue receiving the confirmation email so that we can post. It appears that the left side is installed on the right and vise versa. We have test fit these coilovers in house with no issues and I’m sure as you can see plenty of other members on this forum have installed them with no issues.

I have spoken with our techs in both offices and neither remember talking to you. Generally our policy would be to request that you email us pictures of the issue. If you are confident that you called us directly please send me the phone # you called from so that I can trace when your call came in.

If you need any further assistance please feel free to email our support info@d2racing.com or if you need to reach me directly michael@d2racing.com

-Michael
D2 Racing NA
General Manager

We put both coilovers on one side to see the fitment and neither of those notches lined up. The plates were still hitting those welded nuts on there. After the plates were off and dremmeled, we took them again and tried both of them to the driver side and still neither of them did not line up. And when we got it to where it would line up, the bolts did not line up, or the camber adjustments were going diagonal.
emails are on the way.........

Iheartvtec

I had my d2 coilovers installed at a proshop. They said it seemed as if the coilovers were put together backwards from the factory? It was a little more of a pain to install...pretty much what they said it came down to.

I will say now that I've put 2k miles on them that the ride is fine and I haven't had any problems. So I guess if you don't want any issue pay a few extra bucks and have a shop install them.

sp0t

I myself have d2 coilovers and was received/installed just 2 weeks ago. Everything is fine on my side.

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
UPDATE: Ive emailed michael at D2 and sent him more pics and videos...Id post the vids here and show you all waht I mean but I want to maek sure to hear back frmo D2 before I do. just like I said in the OP....the plate were tried on both sides and when you fit them up "backwards" they fit but didnt allow camber adjustment as they were diagonal. The ride quality is great, everything is doing just fine but the issues were the plates not lining up right and the rear springs being too big for the back and sliding around everywhere.
they told me they are fixing the issue and will get back with me as soon as they resolve it and then ill let you guys know whats up

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
I myself have d2 coilovers and was received/installed just 2 weeks ago. Everything is fine on my side.
Let me see your top hat plates...take a pic and post it showing that everything fits fine! I want to see what differences there are. Only reason is because my buddy said his did the same and installed them fine but his camber adjustment is crooked also!

sp0t

I think I understand what youre talking about with the crooked camber plates. Ive owned coilovers before but it didnt have camber plates on them so I didnt know how its supposed to sit correctly. Anyway, i do see them turned at an angle compared to various setups i see online where its supposed to be parallel to your windshield. I havent had my car aligned yet so this may need to be looked into or I may just settle with camber bolts to adjust my camber rather than the top hats. Another thing, how is your swaybar endlink connected to the d2 strut? When i look under the car, it looks like that rotator thing is slightly turned inwards. Not sure if its properly installed. A pic of yours would be great reference.

sp0t

My coilovers are running fine though, no noises or noticeable defects. But when it comes to little altercations like crooked camber plates and what not; id like everything perfect.