Mechanics toolset

Itsbiggs

Michigan
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Not sure if this is the right place, sorry if not... I have no tools whatsoever and I would like to work on my car, I don't have a ton of dispensable income right now but I have a few hundred held back from my car deal. My question is what is my best bang for the buck mechanics toolset or would I be better off getting separates?

You guys have been awesome so far with helping me so here I come asking for input again! Thank you all in advance!!!

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
Not sure if this is the right place, sorry if not... I have no tools whatsoever and I would like to work on my car, I don't have a ton of dispensable income right now but I have a few hundred held back from my car deal. My question is what is my best bang for the buck mechanics toolset or would I be better off getting separates?

You guys have been awesome so far with helping me so here I come asking for input again! Thank you all in advance!!!

If you can hold off until Father's day, Sears usually has really good sales. I bought a 300+ piece mechanics set last year for around $150ish I think.

Itsbiggs

Michigan
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Most likely I can I don't need it as my car is brand new, and I'm not sure when I'm gonna get my SRI

Itsbiggs

Michigan
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I have pretty much nothing I just bought a house and now a new car and I'm pretty much starting from scratch

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
You happen to have a harbor freight anywhere near you?
http://www.harborfreight.com/storelocator/location/map

There are some things that I would not purchase there for quality reasons, but there are some things you could for pretty cheap.... & would work just fine for various projects. I would agree with squiggy that if you could wait until around fathers day.... you'll find specials on various things. Lowes, home depot, sears... all will run some type of deal on a socket kit, or wrenches, tool boxes, or whatever.

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
If you decide to buy things from Harbor Freight, MAKE SURE you read the reviews on the site first. While it is true that most of their stuff is poor quality, they do tend to stock some good stuff occasionally.

Another bit of advice. Get a tool chest as early as possible!

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
that's why it'd be good for you to see the items in person. Plastic is pretty much plastic. Metal products... you can have a wide range of quality. I'd tell you to buy a quality set of vise grips.

http://www.sears.com/vise-grip-3-pc-pliers-set/p-00945633000P
^ vise grip/irwin brand are good. You coud probably get the same type of thing from harbor for half the price or something, but the quality difference is unreal. Get the real deal.

Screwdrivers?... you could probably buy something from harbor. I've used endless screwdrivers from probably every company out there, and I don't know that any of them every really wore out or had issues. I've never really looked at the socket quality at harbor freight...but if you have a store near you, it's something you could look at & compare with the big box stores. If you have a tool that you need to rely on day in and out...and use it a lot - buy some quality tools. They'll last & be worth the cost.

Modifier
Chicago
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Besides all the other things you'll need,
I would recommend a ratcheting screwdriver, saves a lot of time.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
Here are the general stuff I use:

-3/8" Socket wrench
-Sockets from 8mm to ~21mm
-Extension for sockets
-Wrenches from 8mm to ~21mm
-3/8" torque wrench
-Screw drivers
-Various pliers (long nose, regular, vice grip)
-Allen keys
-PB blaster/Kroil
-Anti-seize lube
-1.5ton or 2ton Jack
-Jackstands
-Ramps (maybe)

I think you can get a combo set for the ones in bold. You can get a good set on Sears, Homedepot, Lowes, or Harbor Freight.

The torque wrench is pretty cheap in Harbor Freight and all you need is one that measures from 0-80ft-lbs.

Brooksie365

Worcester, Ma
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I agree with the Father's Day sears deal. Another thing if you plan on using your ratchet a lot buy a snap on one. Expensive but you cannot beat the quality

ADExternal

Lvl: 99 Modifier
Houston, Tx
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Coupe
My opinion is you should start by asking yourself, what are you doing to be doing first. Body/appearance mods use completely different tools than mechanic/performance mods. Same goes with customizing and fabrications.

For body and appearance, the tool I use most often is the Dremel. and engine and mechanical I 149 Husky Tool Set - 150$ at home depot but you can get it easy for 90$ on sale with coupon for the holidays.

the insider

north of the 49th, south of the 401
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
sedan
If you need get the basics... 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19 mm wrenches and sockets. A good set of screwdrivers - don't cheap out as a poor Philips screwdriver can do more harm than good. An 8oz ball peen hammer, a test light, needle nose pliers, side cutters, a good set of vise grips and slip joint pliers. A half inch drive torque wrench for wheels. Try to buy long wrenches.

Last edited:

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
If you need get the basics... 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19 mm wrenches and sockets. A good set of screwdrivers - don't cheap out as a poor Philips screwdriver can do more harm than good. An 8oz ball peen hammer, a test light, needle nose pliers, side cutters, a good set of vise grips and slip joint pliers. A half inch drive torque wrench for wheels. Try to buy long wrenches.
Excellent starters list.... copy this down ppl.....