Michigan man still on food stamps despite winning $2M

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Michigan man still on food stamps despite winning $2M

A man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show has told a TV station that he still uses food stamps.

Leroy Fick of Bay County admitted he still swipes the electronic card at stores, nearly a year after winning a jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" He told WNEM-TV in Saginaw that more than half the prize went to taxes.

Fick says the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card, which is paid with tax dollars.

He told WNEM: "If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."

The TV station says people have seen Fick driving a new Audiconvertible. Messages seeking comment were left with his attorney and the state today.

wanga

Northern NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I don't see anything wrong with that.. he probably got to keep 750,000 which isn't going to last THAT long.. especially if he's buying audi's and whatnot.
He paid his taxes, let him use his food stamps!

02civicsi

One would think so but from lottery winners I've seen in the past their take home is anywhere from half to more than 1/3 of the actual prize total. So his telling that more than half going to taxes is believable.

• Staff

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
I wasn't thinking of the lump sum vs. annuity - that's my bad. If you take it as payments over time it'd be more, vs. taking it as a lump sum in cash. It doesn't equal the 2 million if you take it up front.

02civicsi

You also have to take into account that if you were to take payments then you have to pay taxes on it for the term of the payments. Lump sum is the way to go, pay taxes on it once.