Need Help With Replacing Factory Subwoofer in 2012 Si with Premium Audio.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
The best way to sum it up is that free air truly sucks,there is no way around it.trying to go around it will just make you angry.

Seems to be the same way people think of water........ I'll just keep getting mine from the sink......... :D

My system is the 360 or whatever...... and the Sub is working, opened the trunk and felt the sub and it's vibrating, but turning the settings up didn't do much to hear/feel it.......... If we were to find a better speaker, wouldn't we need more than 360 to push it?

I remember talking to an audio tech that told me my speakers were good, and that I just needed more amps ??????? This was in another car, with different system(Jeep).

bobshur

Atlanta
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
This is the same thought many,many,many people,including myself went through.It really just comes down to free- air won't produce bass,I now have a box with two 10s( which I thought I would never do) and it has plenty of bass now.in all likely you will have to add something powered if you wish to have it too.

ericc191

Dallas
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I have a solution. I also came from an 06-11 Si and the sub was so powerful. We should just order the OEM one from that year and see what happens?

RHelton10

Atlanta, GA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
Reading through this thread and I'm having the same problem with the factory sub. I like the idea of sealing the factory sub; has anyone heard of someone removing the trunk crossbars and replacing them with gas struts?

9000 RPM

Brooklyn NY
Reading through this thread and I'm having the same problem with the factory sub. I like the idea of sealing the factory sub; has anyone heard of someone removing the trunk crossbars and replacing them with gas struts?
after posting my post above yours, I was looking at my trunk crossbars and they don't appear to get in the way of anything ?

I have a 2013 model sedan, I doubt it's any different than 2012.

Mephist0

Frisco, TX
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
If you're crafty with MDF, you could seal-off the factory sub in the coupe without the crossbars getting in the way. Unfortunately, mine has spent the last 5 weeks in the shop having $4,500 of hail damage repaired from the May 20th Moore tornado.

hotshot

If you did that you'd have to replace the factory sub. It's designed to run free-air

RHelton10

Atlanta, GA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
I wanted to look closer at the idea of enclosing the factory sub from underneath. The cross bars don't really move too much near the sub, so I don't think it's going to be a problem. Here's a quick video to show the movement:

bobshur

Atlanta
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
You have to get a regular 8 inch sub,get the correct space for it and remember the springs that keep your trunk up and close easy are right there in the way,when its all said and done,its really not worth the hassle.

Michael Perez

Miami, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Even though kicker states they are capable free air they aren't? The reviews people who reviewed them on Crutchfield said they worked..

Bulkybear

Free air subs aren't worth it. They will never compare to enclosed systems. Even ones like the stealthbox

Michael Perez

Miami, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
The stealth box performs amazing. I'm just looking for a factory replacement in the factory location. Basket clearance seems to be the problem here

Dennis Rockholt

9k Alll Day
Franklin, TN
Vehicle Model
370Z Fairlady aka "Nismo"
Body Style
Coupe
idk what the difference from my 13' sedan to my 08 coupe i had but the bass is COMPLETELY different.
in my 8th i never upgraded the bass because it hit hard enough and was good :think:
idk if its because i had a coupe and now have a sedan but the 9th just doesnt have any bass at all i feel like.........

makes me wonder if whoever owned my 8th before me upgraded the stock sub

No man I had an '08 sedan and it sounded WAYYY better than my '13. The music doesnt even get very loud. Im very dissappointed from a music quality standpoint./

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
I believe @squiggy did it to most of his trunk

Part of my trunk. haven't had the time to get back to it yet. Maybe this weekend if I can get my garage to warm up enough. I have probably spent about $130 which will be enough to do the trunk and the rear deck.