Out of curiosity does your mileage get slightly better as it brakes in?

JakeDBP

Erie, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si FB6
Body Style
Sedan
Last night I drove as carefully as I could, coasting while in gear, accelerating slowly, shifting out of 1st gear ASAP, and I averaged just below 30mpg, half city half highway.

Not bad I guess, but I was driving like a complete granny. I bet with summer gas and summer tires on I'll be able to get 30mpg while driving a bit more spiritedly.

One of my main issues I think was holding 1st gear until like 3.5k rpm. That eats gas every time you start from a complete stop. Now I'm shifting into 2nd right away and it seems to help
I tend to shift out of first right around 3k when the car is warmed up- I just find it smoother around 3k than around 2k. When I commuted 25 miles a day to work which was suburb to city and back, I was getting 29-31mpg if I remember correctly.

xxjorelxx

Maryland
Vehicle Model
Civic Ex
Body Style
Sedan
My 60 mile drive from the dealers to home got me about 44mpg but since then I'v been getting about 33-34mpg in my 2013 EX. It now has 1200 miles on it and rides about 75% highway. I also use 89 octane instead on 87. Hoping it gets much better in the warmer season

PMMcivicFB2

Canada B-Town
Vehicle Model
Touring
Body Style
Sedan
Still getting terrible millage 12.7L/100km. What the ****. At honda now to see what's up first oil change today.

PMMcivicFB2

Canada B-Town
Vehicle Model
Touring
Body Style
Sedan
Guys I'm confused my has millage seems to be better but the I mid give one reason and the navi gives another so which one is correct. Any clue

PMMcivicFB2

Canada B-Town
Vehicle Model
Touring
Body Style
Sedan
Guys I'm confused my has millage seems to be better but the I mid give one reason and the navi gives another so which one is correct. Any clue

JakeDBP

Erie, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si FB6
Body Style
Sedan
That's great! You have a CVT or auto right? I would expect with ECO mode on and more highway driving to expect 37 or more. I think many on here can achieve 40mpg in the warmer months. I myself have hit 40 only once but my 5 speed is geared very differently than the auto!

Wytwolf

Canada
Vehicle Model
LX 5 Speed
Body Style
sedan
My car is only about 5 months old but the MPG is pretty good, with mixed driving it's just over 30MPG. Estimate EPA for mixed is 31mpg. My usual day to day drive is short with hilly terrain. Even my weekend drives were pretty hilly. The best i've gotten so far (remember car was only purchased in Oct) was 35.7mpg with 415.9 highway miles on the tank about a month ago. This is a big difference then my Santa Fe where the best I ever got was 25MPG on the highway last Aug. I'm assuming the MPG on the civic will get a bit better this summer once the temp get warmer and the winter tires are changed over. This is also my first stick shift so with more exprience i could get another 1-2 MPG also.

Spunjer

Vehicle Model
Sedan
Body Style
4dr
just drove round trip from columbus, ohio to louisville, ky and back the last couple days (around 200 miles one way). i started with 650 miles on the odometer. on the way to louisville my average mpg was around 28. on the way back, i notice an uptick on the mpg. it's now 35 mpg. perhaps a good long distance driving helps break the engine?

Donald Ashe

Just purchased a 2013 sedan Si last month and been tracking the gas mileage. A round trip to work is 24 miles and at first I was getting about 26.5 miles/gallon and varied the rpms right from the begining. Now I have about 1200 miles on the car and the mileage is 27.4. I live in Maryland with the snow and cold weather but I don't have a lot of traffic and I drive slow as the car is warming up. I can't wait to take the car on a trip.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I've noticed the drive from Louisville through Ohio and back are definitely different. I think it has to do with the amount of really steep hills in each direction right at the KY border.

Brandt

Dr.Gonzo
Houston
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
FG3
With just over 21k miles, I get about 31-32 mpg these days..mind you I never touch that green button..ever..I just refuse to believe in it lol. That's a mix of highway/city driving as well. When I first bought her, she was averaging about 28 mpg with the same driving conditions, but then again, she was also a rescued civic, picked her up from the Ford dealership near my shop I work at. Lord only knows what those @$%&! did to her, probably put some recycled junk oil in her...the horrors of domestic dealerships in texas..