2012 Civic Si Rev Hang - Software Update

I've read elsewhere that some dealers don't have this update yet. It all depends on how often they sync up with corporate and pull new updates down. Some dealers do it more frequently than others I'm sure. I'm planning on waiting a week or two then going to my dealer. The rev-hang drives me crazy. You'd think it would be bad for gas mileage as well.

It is awesome that Honda came out with a fix. If not I was going to pay for the Hondata reflash before the summer was over.

I agree, I'm waiting another week just to make sure they have it ready to go. And about the reflash, the hondata one still raises your redline as well as diminishes the rev hang. Hopefully Flash pro will be out soon, id rather just do that to be honest.

My dealership here won't touch the car unless there is a service order number or a recall number on my car. Another reason why I hate the dealerships in Fayetteville, NC! I gave them all the info and they said they can't do anything without a service number.

bryan honda? You're not that far from 3 other dealerships. It's probably going to take some type of service appointment (oil change or something) to get them to hook the car up. They're not looking to waste time on something they don't know about.

Lumberton Honda
301 Wintergreen Dr
Lumberton, NC 28358
(910)739-9871

Steve Jones Honda
11045 N U. S. Hwy 15 501
Aberdeen, NC 28315
(910)692-2111

Sanford Honda
3130 S Horner Blvd
Sanford, NC 27332
(919)774-8864

I went to my dealership today to have my oil topped up (I'll talk about that in the proper thread) and to ask my mechanic friend if I could get the updated software that is supposed to help with rev hang. So he hooked up my car to the computer and it said I have the x0a030 which is supposed to be the latest software currently in Canada.
While the car was hooked up to the computer my mechanic (who is awesome) did some digging. Apparently he can see the x0a050 but when he tried to access it he gets nowhere because it is not available here in Canada yet. :(
I'm thinkin about calling Honda Canada to find out when they are going to make it available here because anyone listening to me drive my car would think I'm riding the clutch it hangs so much! It drives me crazy some times.
I don't suppose anyone else in Canada has had an opportunity to talk to their dealership about the new software or is it just crazy me??

You're correct in that Canada hasn't released it yet. No clue when that will actually happen unfortunately. Rather interesting that he could actually see it though.

You're correct in that Canada hasn't released it yet. No clue when that will actually happen unfortunately. Rather interesting that he could actually see it though.
Ya we were looking on some kind of handheld tablet type computer the shop has.
I'm strongly considering calling Honda Canada to see WTF is going on.

Just took mine in today for it's first oil change and a list of other items, including my rev hang problem. The service advisor swore up and down that they'd "been all over the computer" while troubleshooting my other issues, as well as the rev hang problem, and that no update was available. This is even after I told him that this was a longstanding issue in this forum and that the forums were stating that a fix just came out. He said it didn't apply to my Si because it would have been detected while they were hooked up to the computer.

Then he told me that it's designed to hang because it's a performance engine and they don't want the flywheel to lose momentum while you're shifting. Do I want to believe him? Yes. Do I actually believe him? Nope.

GO Honda, 104th Ave & Federal Blvd.
Westminster, CO

Sigh...

what were your "issues" that they needed to have the scanner on your car? They wouldn't have it hooked up for an oil change.

what were your "issues" that they needed to have the scanner on your car? They wouldn't have it hooked up for an oil change.

1. The A1 service code (oil change & tire rotation).
2. The rev hang issue.
3. Oil usage (2.25 qt over 7000 miles. See my update in the "burn oil" thread).
4. Intermittent inability for people to understand me over the hands-free when I'm talking on the phone. They can hear me, they just can't understand me. (Car's fine they say, and directed me to handsfreelink.com to see if my phone is fully compatible with the car system.)
5. Rattling interior fan/blower at low speeds. (Which they're going to replace as soon as the one they had to order shows up.)

I think he said it was hooked up to investigate the rev hang and the bluetooth/phone issue. He said that the tech has an incentive to download updates when they find them because they get paid 0.3 hours for each one. He also said that they could tell what my peak rpm had been when they were hooked up to the computer and (I think) that they expect the rev hang to vary based on engine temperature and rpm. He was pretty adamant about the fact that they'd been querying the computer and didn't see any updates for my car.

So I want to believe him because, well, I guess I just expect people to be competent at their jobs and he did give me some good information that aligned with what I'm reading on this forum. (Like working with me on the oil usage instead of blowing me off and telling me that installing a turbo won't void my warranty. :) So I walk away thinking that everything he said sounds reasonable and makes sense but doesn't gibe with the collective knowledge on this forum and/or my own past experience. So, who knows, maybe this is a staged rollout across the US, too, and they'll have it when I go back for my next service and complain about the rev hang again.

well, I'm not sure if this is the same issue you have with bluetooth? Worth a read
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/b...mands-not-recognized-we-found-the-cause.3891/

as for the rev update,... when you go back in for the next consumption check you can see if they show anything. It's odd because it's not even available in Canada, yet if you go up to post #44, they were able to see it in the system.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-rev-hang-software-update.4857/page-3#post-82825

well, I'm not sure if this is the same issue you have with bluetooth? Worth a read
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/b...mands-not-recognized-we-found-the-cause.3891/

as for the rev update,... when you go back in for the next consumption check you can see if they show anything. It's odd because it's not even available in Canada, yet if you go up to post #44, they were able to see it in the system.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-rev-hang-software-update.4857/page-3#post-82825
Keep in mind that I'm dealing with the head mechanic who I've got to know over the many years bringing my Honda's in for service. I talk technical with him, not the service advisers. Fortunately he went looking for the update x0a050 when I told him about it. It didn't show up on the device he used to check and see what software I had on my car.

i hav not update my 9th civic si regarding rev-hang. what would be the effect of this update? how's the mpg? how's the burning of of oil? I'm just wondering before making an update???

I've found myself driving more aggressively to avoid the rev hang. Under hard acceleration, it's not as bad. It seems to be worse under light acceleration, like driving through town. I don't want to look crazy speeding from stop sign to stop sign, but otherwise the shifting is pretty jerky.

Keep in mind that I'm dealing with the head mechanic who I've got to know over the many years bringing my Honda's in for service. I talk technical with him, not the service advisers. Fortunately he went looking for the update x0a050 when I told him about it. It didn't show up on the device he used to check and see what software I had on my car.

That's good advice--thanks. They suggested taking it for a drive with the technician so I could show him what I was talking about but I didn't take them up on it. I'll be sure to try talking to the technician next time I'm in for service.

OK so I called Honda Canada head office today to see if I could get any indication as to when they are going to release the x0a050 software here in the "Great White North"
As I expected the guy on the phone didn't have a clue what I was talking about and said that when it's released, the dealerships will be informed about the update.
Instead of just hang up the phone I explained my dilemma, and the fact that this is a brand new car, it's driving me crazy, AND that I have good sources telling me that the update is out in the US of A. I once again explained that all I was trying to find out is WHEN the update will be released and that I didn't want to have to call my dealership every week to find out if it's available. He suggested that I ask the dealership to keep checking into it and have them call me when it becomes available. Thanks for your help, and good-bye.
10 minutes later my phone rings and it's the same guy from Honda telling me that he did some research on the internet and spoke to some of his coworkers in the office and they have decided to look into this and send me a letter when the update is out in Canada. He also assured me that because it was just released in the USA on July 10th it would probably only be a few weeks before we get it up here. YAAAA!!!
I was impressed with the fact that even though Honda Canada can't give me a firm date yet at least they are trying to provide good customer service. The customer service guy even left me with his name and direct extension. I'm impressed.

My dealership here won't touch the car unless there is a service order number or a recall number on my car. Another reason why I hate the dealerships in Fayetteville, NC! I gave them all the info and they said they can't do anything without a service number.
I'd go talk to your sales person. Afterall, they did make money off the sale of your car and should be of service after you take delivery. If not, you know who not to buy a car from again when the time comes...IMO.

I went to the delearship last week, but mine wasn't ready for the update yet. I'm guessing the newly made Si's have an update out that won't let the new one overwrite it or something. The guy I spoke with has a 9th gen si and he said he fixed his but his was manufactured a while back. Mine was manufactured in March.

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly is rev overrun, I tried looking it up but didn't come up with much, and the things that I did find I didn't understand. Thanks in advance!

Back