AMSoil Synthetic trans fluid

~50k, didn't worry or diagnose until it got louder at ~70k.

The person rebuilding it said I must never shift hard or race based on the synchro wear and final drive bolts being in good shape, but all bearings inside were toast. The only thing I could attribute that do is amsoil mtf for two fills, being used from ~15k miles until about ~60k miles, changed over at ~40k miles.

I am now a firm believer in the OEM fluid. Fresh fluid, to me, feels good regardless of manufacturer.
Whoa... I missed something. You said you lost a tranny while Amsoil was on duty? Almost unbelievable. While not the die hard Amsoil fan I used to be, I would have thought that impossible. In the case of engines, Amsoil will actually replace the engine if you can demonstrate (through oil analysis) that lubricant failure caused engine failure. (That's because it never happens) I'm not familiar with their MTF warranty, however, if any.

Was going to let my Amsoil MTF go for a couple more years... now i'll send some to the lab see how it's doing. Thanks for the heads up.

How many miles have you put on your MTF? I want to compare a UOI of amsoil and the oem fluid.

How many miles have you put on your MTF? I want to compare a UOI of amsoil and the oem fluid.

First, great idea on the comparison. My car is a 2012 with just 3,000 miles on it, although will be driving from CA to PA and back in May -- 7000 miles right there. I changed out the OEM fluid after 1000 - 1500 miles. I'll run a sample of the Amsoil through the lab in March (for a late baseline) then after my trip, followed by a test every 5,000 miles until Blackstone gives me a bad report. We'll find out exactly how far the Amsoil can go. (Although there will be roughly 4oz of makeup MTF after each sample)

We'll just need somebody else to test a different fluid... preferably the OEM. Somebody once made the comment that this gearbox will destroy any fluid you throw at it. Now we have a reason to think that might be true.

First, great idea on the comparison. My car is a 2012 with just 3,000 miles on it, although will be driving from CA to PA and back in May -- 7000 miles right there. I changed out the OEM fluid after 1000 - 1500 miles. I'll run a sample of the Amsoil through the lab in March (for a late baseline) then after my trip, followed by a test every 5,000 miles until Blackstone gives me a bad report. We'll find out exactly how far the Amsoil can go. (Although there will be roughly 4oz of makeup MTF after each sample)

We'll just need somebody else to test a different fluid... preferably the OEM. Somebody once made the comment that this gearbox will destroy any fluid you throw at it. Now we have a reason to think that might be true.
So does this mean that we should change the trans fluid below the recommended mileage (around 50,000 miles) for a better longevity?

That's the recommend weight from
Redline web page..

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

It would appear Redline has made a mistake. First, Amsoil's website is directly linked to each manufacturer's database. So they're sure their website is right because they assume Honda is right. In the case of my 2012 SI -- Honda explicitly calls for a "30W synchromesh" -- the same as listed on the Amsoil site. Secondly, I just called Amsoil Tech Support for verification. As a matter of normal procedure, they said, Amsoil has a testing procedure to guarantee compatibility of its lubricants with each piece of equipment listed.

Amsoil Tech Support was "100% sure" that the 30W synchromesh is the correct fluid for this application.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/

Makes me wonder who's right... Amsoil in recommending a 5-30W or Redline in recommending the 70/80W. Amsoil does, in fact, carry the heavier weight fluid as well. Maybe some Hondas take that one...

I am figuring that cause Redline is a synthetic they want a heavier weight then recommend to make up it.

So does this mean that we should change the trans fluid below the recommended mileage (around 50,000 miles) for a better longevity?

If you can still shift at 50k let me know, cause I made it once to 40k once on stock fluid and could barely get the car into 1st and 3rd, I can do 40k now on Redline with no problems unless I really drive the car hard...

But we could only draw that conclusion after a lot of testing and research, which takes time we don't have. Keep in mind this entire discussion is based on one person's unfortunate experience. Without verification of lubricant failure we have nothing to go on but speculation.
For now I would simply change fluids in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.... although you may want to send in a sample. I know I will be. It's one thing to wear out a clutch after 100,000 miles.... but i'd hate to lose the entire gearbox.

I am figuring that cause Redline is a synthetic they want a heavier weight then recommend to make up it.

If you can still shift at 50k let me know, cause I made it once to 40k once on stock fluid and could barely get the car into 1st and 3rd, I can do 40k now on Redline with no problems unless I really drive the car hard...

Although a gearbox is an enclosed unit, any lubricant still deteriorates because of HEAT. As a rule the hotter something runs the faster the lubricants fail. And Hondas can run very hot.

But we could only draw that conclusion after a lot of testing and research, which takes time we don't have. Keep in mind this entire discussion is based on one person's unfortunate experience. Without verification of lubricant failure we have nothing to go on but speculation.
For now I would simply change fluids in accordance with the manufacturer recommendations.... although you may want to send in a sample. I know I will be. It's one thing to wear out a clutch after 100,000 miles.... but i'd hate to lose the entire gearbox.

My clutch went at 120k and my input shaft bearing at 137k not saying it comes from bad fluid or improper fluid changes, I am hard on the car, the gears and sychro's still look really good.

From my experience when it starts getting hard to shift its time to change the fluid.

Although a gearbox is an enclosed unit, any lubricant still deteriorates because of HEAT. As a rule the hotter something runs the faster the lubricants fail. And Hondas can run very hot.

Yup, I actually had a Honda dealer refuse to do a trans fluid change cause I was not at recommend time and the hard shifting was my fault cause I don't know how to shift, mind you I have been driving a clutch for at least 20 years..

I changed my trans to Amsoil at 40k miles. My car is currently 55k. Lol.

I've been changing the OEM fluid every other oil change so every 15000 miles. I'll send a sample to Blackstone next time.

I made it to 110k miles on my '03 Civic without any problems. (stupid me thought MTF was part of the 100k no service requirements :hiding: ) I honestly felt no difference in shifting after I changed it.

I made it to 110k miles on my '03 Civic without any problems. (stupid me thought MTF was part of the 100k no service requirements :hiding: ) I honestly felt no difference in shifting after I changed it.

Different Honda fluid.

According to my Honda dealer I trust.
In 2006 Honda came out with a new MTL to go along with the new car and then changed the formula again in 2009 (I think) to address the growing amount of issues from owners about the life cycle of the fluid, unfortunately the formula change didn't do anything and the 2009 fluid still has issues. Now I don't know if Honda changed the fluid for the 9th gen or not.

Back