Clutch Noise

you said it! i have this and my airbag light randomly coming on from time to time. love my car but hate it at the same time.
I had the piston rings replaced.
My battery died and had to be replaced because of an issue with the charging system not working in really cold weather. Honda issued a recall for that one.
I had the interior microphone replaced because of the issues that everyone else was having with the poor sound quality.
The clutch noise started this past winter and that was the straw that broke the camels back.
Traded the 2012 and I now drive a 2014 Civic Si coupe in case you haven't seen my latest build thread. Love this new car!
The 2012 is going to have to be someone else's problem. Hopefully it behaves for the new owner.

I had the piston rings replaced.
My battery died and had to be replaced because of an issue with the charging system not working in really cold weather. Honda issued a recall for that one.
I had the interior microphone replaced because of the issues that everyone else was having with the poor sound quality.
The clutch noise started this past winter and that was the straw that broke the camels back.
Traded the 2012 and I now drive a 2014 Civic Si coupe in case you haven't seen my latest build thread. Love this new car!
The 2012 is going to have to be someone else's problem. Hopefully it behaves for the new owner.
ahh nice, yea i havent been on as much as before. been busy preparing for our new bundle of joy, might consider trading mines in for a SUV in case we dont sell my wifes R18 sedan.

Babies are small. They don't require an SUV. I was raised with my mom driving a Ford Pinto (compact 2-door).

My car has about 21,000 miles on it and does it real bad, I understand its covered by the drive train warranty??

i also have this sound at times not very often though from what ive read it seems to be a common problem, im at 26k and now im gonna see if they can look at it when i have the oil changed here soon.

My car has about 21,000 miles on it and does it real bad, I understand its covered by the drive train warranty??

Clutch is considered a wear item, so no, not covered by any warranty.

But, if you have the particular noise and they can reproduce it, they should contact Honda America/Canada. From there, their guidance (in my case) was to dismantle and to check for certain signs of wear on the clutch. If they see those signs they're told about, it's a "Good will" replacement of the clutch assembly. That's what they did with me, but it took two months of going in to test drives, and leaving the car with them for a week while I was out of the country to get the noise and move forward on the replacement.

PS - I appropriately used there, their, and they're. hehehe

i feel like it would be a hassle to get them to look into it, two of my friends work at the dealership i bought my car at so i figured we could tear it apart before i even take it there and if its something they wont replace instead of replacing the stock one id just get a stage 2 clutch or something. id like it a little stiffer anyway.

Clutch is considered a wear item, so no, not covered by any warranty.

But, if you have the particular noise and they can reproduce it, they should contact Honda America/Canada. From there, their guidance (in my case) was to dismantle and to check for certain signs of wear on the clutch. If they see those signs they're told about, it's a "Good will" replacement of the clutch assembly. That's what they did with me, but it took two months of going in to test drives, and leaving the car with them for a week while I was out of the country to get the noise and move forward on the replacement.

PS - I appropriately used there, their, and they're. hehehe
I would have to disagree with you on that one sir, My car got the clutch replaced under the 60K mile warranty. I only had about 42K miles on it. You are right that the clutch is a wear and tear item but it's not the clutch itself wearing out its something else which the dealer didnt tell me all they said was that honda wanted the whole clutch assembly sent to them for review

The clutch is a "wear item," but if it is malfunctioning, it must be (legally) covered by the warranty. If they installed defective brake pads, they would have to replace those, too, despite their "wear item" status. Furthermore, a clutch in a modern car is no more a frequently-replace item. It should last 150,000 miles or more in a well-maintained car with a driver who actually knows how to drive a manual without slipping the clutch excessively. I would say any clutch that goes out under 60k miles was either defective or significantly abused (and that should be easily provable).

I'm telling you what my dealer said when I had my clutch replaced at 37k miles. It is not typically a warranty issue but because there was another part in the clutch assembly that was causing the problem, they replaced it "under warranty" but the phrasing on the documentation was a "one-time good will" thing. The problems we're seeing are due to faulty clutch springs in the assembly and yes, they're replacing the whole assembly because Honda is telling them to do it. But I'm going to bet, if they found that it had been abused and failed early due to that, they could have just as easily said, "Mr. FooBird...you're going to have to pay for this one because it's clear you abused it and clutches are not warranty items."

AHH so happy I found this thread. Today my car started making a pigeon-like noise when starting off in first. It doesn't do it in ANY other gear! Hoping my dealer will investigate and not pull any BS with me. I have 16,655 miles on my car as of today :(

Alright please please help me if you can!! I'm heading back to the dealer tomorrow morning and hope they don't write off my concerns again- last week they said it was a clip that was missing on the heat shield...

In the video the noise is there at 12 seconds and very loud at 29 or 30 seconds in. Please wear headphones! Is this what everyone else had?
http://vid261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/biking4life17/2012 Civic/IMG_1183.mp4

Last edited:
I am right at 40,000 miles and I have been having the same problem for almost a year now with my 2012 Si. It seemed to be intermittent but I finally figured out how to repeat it last week. For me, I needed to be feathering the clutch in first gear around 1700 - 2200 rpm AND I needed to be on a slight incline (facing up). I could still only reproduce it about every fourth time I tried but I was able to duplicate it for my service adviser and a mechanic. The incline was the key. It didn't matter if the engine/transmission was hot or cold. What mattered was the incline and taking my time getting off the clutch.

The dealer called Techline and was told to replace my flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and release bearing. No charge. I asked if there was a TSB and they told me that there isn't one but the Techline folks are still gathering data and investigating. They also told me that they were instructed to send my parts in so they could be analyzed.

I've mentioned this to the dealer the last 3 or 4 times I've taken it in but no one could reproduce it. So I'm hoping this helps everyone else who is trying to figure this out. I'm attaching a copy of the invoice that shows what they replaced, too. (The invoice refers to a 2007, non-US CRV. I don't know why--the car is definitely a 2012 Si living in the US.)

Attachments

• scan0005.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 37
I started to hear a similar noise a couple weeks ago. It's very intermittent at this point. I thought I was imagining things until I read this thread. I'll see if it gets worse before I take it in. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to replicate the noise.

Back