Clutch Noise

ahhh thanks Dragos it was stored in the system when they ran a scanner...that can explain my random airbag light? and they told to just bring it right back in whenever it makes noise. so far it hasnt made the noise..
My pleasure. I would ask them to check the battery wires, I once had a battery wire making random partial contact. Lots of funnies occurred from that. It all started with the battery not being tied down properly and the movement was tearing the wire slowly, it was not a Honda though.

Last edited:
Sorry bring back an old thread but, How hard is it to change a throw-out bearing? I know im still under warranty but I dont wanna go back to the dealership again only to be told they can hear anything...this is what it sounds like, like i said before only in first gear, still shifts fine...I wanna trade her in but i know the value of my '12 si has dropped big time since the '13s came out..Obvoiusly this isnt my car lol

Last edited:
Sorry bring back an old thread but, How hard is it to change a throw-out bearing? I know im still under warranty but I dont wanna go back to the dealership again only to be told they can hear anything...this is what it sounds like, like i said before only in first gear, still shifts fine...I wanna trade her in but i know the value of my '12 si has dropped big time since the '13s came out..Obvoiusly this isnt my car lol
In all likelihood the clutch disc is broken - just like the op's clutch was.
clutchdisc2.jpg

What happens is the metal in the center of the disc that houses the torsional damper springs opens up due to repeated shock (usually due to hard shifting). The result is that the springs rattle - usually heard when taking off in first gear. Worst case scenario is that one spring falls out and jambs between the disc and pressure plate. I have seen this already on too many '12 up Si's and wouldn't be surprised if "rev hang" is a contributing factor as the hang seems to be worst right about where the engine makes maximum torque - so you wouldn't have to be beating on it to cause a failure. Just a theory.

hmmm interesting......thanks for the feedback, so more than likely ill need to get a new clutch, Im just really disappointed in Honda's Trans, first with my 07 si and the 3rd gear, and now this. But like you said the rev hang issue would make sense.

Holy crap, thank God someone finally understands what I'm talking about. I too am experiencing the same clutch noise. It sounds like a 'pigeon' or a bus attempting to break when I release the clutch in first gear off a dead stop. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it makes me cringe. I've been to two Honda dealerships to check out this issue. The first dealership told me that they were not able to reproduce the noise and therefore not able to fix it. The head technician guy said that apparently he has received seven other complaints regarding the same noise on this exact specific model. All seven complaints registered their vehicle mileage between 31,000 km to 40,000 km. He believes it's an issue with the bearings? I don't think so or else the sound would frequently occur. The second dealership was not able to repair it or look at the issue until they heard the noise. I actually tried taking the car for a test drive with the technician guy but of course the sound was not present. As you all know, it doesn't always happen.

If someone can confirm with me exactly what the issue that triggers this pigeon sound then I can finally rest my mind. It's driving me crazy.

Holy crap, thank God someone finally understands what I'm talking about. I too am experiencing the same clutch noise. It sounds like a 'pigeon' or a bus attempting to break when I release the clutch in first gear off a dead stop. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it makes me cringe. I've been to two Honda dealerships to check out this issue. The first dealership told me that they were not able to reproduce the noise and therefore not able to fix it. The head technician guy said that apparently he has received seven other complaints regarding the same noise on this exact specific model. All seven complaints registered their vehicle mileage between 31,000 km to 40,000 km. He believes it's an issue with the bearings? I don't think so or else the sound would frequently occur. The second dealership was not able to repair it or look at the issue until they heard the noise. I actually tried taking the car for a test drive with the technician guy but of course the sound was not present. As you all know, it doesn't always happen.

If someone can confirm with me exactly what the issue that triggers this pigeon sound then I can finally rest my mind. It's driving me crazy.

You won't be able to confirm until the clutch is in hand - but I bet its broken. (See my post above). Generally not warrantable....but I've never seen Honda Canada not cover one under the warranty period. Two identical failures may be attributed to the driver.The dealers can be difficult though...but they shouldn't be - its quick and easy money for them. What dealers you dealing with? And just an FYI some of the younger techs may not know what's the cause of the noise even if they heard it.

I have around 5k miles on my Si and since like the 2nd week I've owned it there's been a very faint rattling noise from my tranny that goes away when the clutch is pushed in. Doesn't matter the gear, even does it in neutral. I had a tech ride with me and he said its nothing to worry about but to bring it back in if it gets loud. My best guess is a noisy throw out bearing.

Mine does this.... has done it probably forever, as it only has 600 miles on it now and I heard it the first morning after bringing the car home and idling in the driveway. Sometimes it sounds like a bunch of marbles are in the tranny case. Push in (disengage) the clutch and it goes completely away.

Took to dealer, spoke with the head mechanic and he looked at it himself. He seemed a lot less concerned than me. If it doesn't go away after some break-in miles, I'll complain until it's fixed. I wanted it documented.

FINALLY!! ive been looking for this thread for months!!! so glad to hear that im not alone on this one. the guys at honda have said that "no one else has reported this problem. and its most likely your driving". now i can go back and tell them to shove it and properly check my baby. has anyone had this problem and had it fixed or at least figured what it is??

So I've been experiencing some clutch noise in my 2012 Civic SI for the past month or so. It happens when I'm starting from a dead stop. It's like a grinding type of niose once the clutch reaches the friction point. I had it in the dealer today for an oil change and to replace something with the driver door due to a recall and I got them to take a look at it.

They said it could be springs or something inside the clutch and they'd have to order in the part. They also said that it should be covered under warranty however, if they get in there and see that there is "a lot of scorch marks" and "signs of abuse" that I'd be on the hook for the repair.
Sorry for the cut and paste, but here it's goes. This is a request from Honda to notify them if a car comes into your dealership. They want techline involved from the get go.
To: All Honda Service Managers/Advisors

RE: Request for Visit/Parts: 2012 Civic Si M/T Clutch Noise

Print this iN message and provide a copy to the Shop Foreman and all Service Advisors.

Background
American Honda (AHM) is investigating certain 2012 M/T Civic Sis with a complaint of a clutch noise when engaging the clutch in 1st gear or when accelerating from a stop. The noise can be described as grinding, squeaking, groaning, rubbing or metallic. To fully understand the cause of this condition, AHM would like to inspect the vehicle prior to you attempting a repair of any kind.

Qualifiers
AHM is interested ONLY if the vehicle meets the following requirements:

1. Vehicle must be under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles)
2. No extended warranty
3. No previous clutch repair

Action Required
If you have or know of such a vehicle, please call Technical Research & Support (TRS) Group at 800-880-1072. TRS will need to record certain vehicle information and provide you with further instructions.

Hey guys bought my 2012 si brand new from the shower on I have 23,000 on it and About 2 days ago from a dead stop trying to get out of first I give it a little gas and slowly let off the clutch and it makes this unpleasant creaking/grinding noise took it to the dealers got my car serviced and mentioned the sounds they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the car and that it's fine. They want me to schedule a day I can take a ride with a technician. I'll keep you guys posted on what he says to me. Haven't even had this thing for 2 years and already having problems with the F*****g clutch? ... I'm not liking the sound of this

Hey guys bought my 2012 si brand new from the shower on I have 23,000 on it and About 2 days ago from a dead stop trying to get out of first I give it a little gas and slowly let off the clutch and it makes this unpleasant creaking/grinding noise took it to the dealers got my car serviced and mentioned the sounds they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the car and that it's fine. They want me to schedule a day I can take a ride with a technician. I'll keep you guys posted on what he says to me. Haven't even had this thing for 2 years and already having problems with the F*****g clutch? ... I'm not liking the sound of this

I haven't had any problems with mine since they replaced my clutch due to this problem. Knock on wood!

My clutch got replaced under warranty due to the grinding noise at 42K miles. Wanted to take a look at the clutch and take some pics but dealer said they had sent it to honda. I got mine covered under drivetrain warranty which they said is 60k miles or 5 yrs.

I've got this same issue with my 2012 Si. It's got approx 45000 km's on it. Glad to hear it's not only me with the problem BUT it's going to have to be someone else's problem because I've traded in my car and I'm picking up my new one tomorrow. :brock:
@the insider do you work at a dealership?

I've had the same issue. First time I took it in, "they didn't hear anything." So is it the throw out bearing? Also, for those of you who did get something fixed, was it covered by warranty? Also, if I do bring it in I'm definitely bringing in a video like this one:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn3Ncrrze9o

that the exact noise I have!!! but not as bad, im at almost 50k mi, i hope they dont give a hard time. im taking mine in next week if i can.

that the exact noise I have!!! but not as bad, im at almost 50k mi, i hope they dont give a hard time. im taking mine in next week if i can.
I had the same thing as well. 44000km's
I was so relieved to see that I wasn't the only one with the "noise" I'm pretty sure that my 2012 was a bit of a lemon. Too many issues for my liking.

I had the same thing as well. 44000km's
I was so relieved to see that I wasn't the only one with the "noise" I'm pretty sure that my 2012 was a bit of a lemon. Too many issues for my liking.
you said it! i have this and my airbag light randomly coming on from time to time. love my car but hate it at the same time.

Back