Driving With Traction Control Off

could still be used to pull text messages or whatever (if you have that). I guess it has been used in some court cases where users have been texting while driving and caused accidents/death etc. The texting records show the timestamp, or if you're browsing the net etc

This makes me want to have a real dumb phone....
That's what I have, + I called my server and told them not to allow texting to come though on my cell coming or going.
I've never liked phones, and since I got my cell for emergencies about 10 years ago, I never even turned it on unless I was expecting a call or wanted to make one.......... But, since getting my bluetooth car, I've actually gotten to where I can live with using it on speaker, mostly because I don't hold it, and I can actually understand what ppl are saying, where phone sound systems in their selves make it hard to understand what being said(which my hearing is partly to blame), but the cars sound system is compatible with me.

Some things may make sense like an accident that causes harm to others, or criminal activities, but a balance needs to exist. Too bad it is so much easier said than done...

We do live in an age where all we do is logged for possible security reasons or just marketing purposes, hopefully it won't expand to all the little things like you have to have TC on, only drive automatic cars, never exceed speed limit more than 10 miles and so on :) I know I am ranting a bit but I feel like there is a bit of truth in it as well. There's way worse things happening or that happened in the world, I definitely experienced some myself and seen how worse it can be for other areas of the world and what real problems can be, so maybe we read too much into it, but this obsession with controlling and watching what everybody does, imposing the proper way onto everybody is not leading up to great things. It's been tried in the past and it did not work out so great in the end, it actually backfired. And at the same time big problems come from a lot of small problems sometimes.

Balance is a good goal to have :)

Sorry for the not so car related rant :)

I know we are getting off on a tangent..... but at least one rental car company was installing GPS units with logging capabilities, and were charging the person who was speeding $ 150 per offense. Big brother is watching!

http://news.cnet.com/State-puts-brakes-on-GPS-speeding-fines/2100-1040_3-269388.html

Yep but legally the rental companies can't charge their customers "fines" for speeding since only law enforcement can do that. I don't care if the rental companies enable the GPS in the cars since it's theirs. Just only pet peeve is that they need to tell their customers that before signing the contract and most mum the important stuff until $hit happens.

how about data being pulled from cell phones in cases of accidents etc -

A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

The ACLU is concerned that these powerful capabilities are being quietly used to bypass Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches.

"With certain exceptions that do not apply here, a search cannot occur without a warrant in which a judicial officer determines that there is probable cause to believe that the search will yield evidence of criminal activity," Fancher wrote. "A device that allows immediate, surreptitious intrusion into private data creates enormous risks that troopers will ignore these requirements to the detriment of the constitutional rights of persons whose cell phones are searched."

This makes me real angry, even though I have nothing to hide..... what an invasion of privacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellebrite

The last time I was stopped by an officer, I turned off and put away my phone and GPS before he got to my car.

I do the same. Especially when the GPS I have always displays as a detail the max speed ever reached, it is configurable but I personally I like having that info, just not sharing it with the law enforcement.

Your gps says your highest speed ever reached? Seriously?

Your gps says your highest speed ever reached? Seriously?
It does, I actually like it, but for my eyes only :) I have a Garmin 250 W.

At the same time I was stopped by police only 2 times in 10 years and that was for speeding, so statistically I am ok, plus the Si has the navi so no need for the Garmin.

Does anyone know how the civic manages the traction control? I know it cuts power but how? Fuel cut, spark cut, only certain cylinders or all, closes the throttle body or a combination of everything?

i do it to let the rear tail out in the mountains and in the curves. also when wanting to do some sliding in the rain its good to turn it off. but also its great if you want all traction. ive done 60mph in a curve in the rain. so the system works very well on finding grip. but sometimes its fun to slide a bit. but warning there is a difference between sliding for fun
and understeer which is not fun. if you dont know how your car runs in the rain with traction control off dont try it until youve tried it in the dry weather.

Does anyone know how the civic manages the traction control? I know it cuts power but how? Fuel cut, spark cut, only certain cylinders or all, closes the throttle body or a combination of everything?
post 11 from the manual states that it selectively applies the brakes. Beyond that, I don't have an answer.

post 11 from the manual states that it selectively applies the brakes. Beyond that, I don't have an answer.
in the automatic it also apply brakes. i have driven out of the car wash forgetting that the tires are covered in slick tire shine and have tried to launch out of the entrance and the vsa warning blinked and there was no power to my accelerator pedal and i could tell it was slowing it down.

The VSA does apply brakes to a specific wheel to turn or straighten the car but the traction control system must cut power also, not just use the brakes right?

Back